• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL autobid

sandcobra164

Bidded on some trucks in the last auction and gave up early. I saw my bidder id used one time after I quit for much more than I would have bidded on a closed lot around 7pm tonight. Has this ever happened to anyone? I noticed the winner beat "me?" on an auto bid and I've heard the speculation on this website about the danger's of an auto bid. Has anyone else ever had this happen. The bid in question was a new bid for $5,500 dollars on a truck (I don't have the funds to play with the big boys like that) and I know that I was actually shopping at the commisary and no where near a computer to place that bid at the time posted.

sandcobra164

No, I was "out bid" on a truck that I had previously set my max at 3K. The truck sold for a little over 5K and my last "bid?" was for 5,500 (I did not place a bid for that price at any point) and the winning bid just the minimum above that and it was an autobid placed by the winner who had obviously set his autobid above that price. I'm one to not trust the system so

DrJekl

Have you accessed your account on a computer that somone else can use? You may have been signed in and someone else wanted the truck too. You should change your password and make sure that nobody has access to your account. if you have those areas covered, let GL know in case something hokey is going on. The guy that bought the truck should not have to bid against pranksters and end up paying too much for a truck, even though they did have a maximmum bid higher than the next guy.

Never had that hapen for my auto bids.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It has happened before to a few guys on here. I don't remember who, but I do remember reading about it.

exbrown

If GL has access to the autobid amounts, they would then be able to manipulate the numbers. If Customer A had an autobid amount set at $5,959, and no one else was bidding, they could make customer B bid on the truck knowing that he would not win it. All they would be doing is getting ALL the money that someone had put on autobid. I would think that this would be illegal. Don't know if that is what happened, and I would like to think it does not, but if everone bid manually, they would not be able to even have the chance.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rule is to never auto bid. If I can't watch what I'm bidding on, I pass.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
GL's response:

Nothing to see here, move along, move along. . . .

Or:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. . . .

Now, how to prove something shady was going on?

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get a bid confirmation email?

No, I was "out bid" on a truck that I had previously set my max at 3K. The truck sold for a little over 5K and my last "bid?" was for 5,500 (I did not place a bid for that price at any point) and the winning bid just the minimum above that and it was an autobid placed by the winner who had obviously set his autobid above that price. I'm one to not trust the system so
I always get a bid confirmation email from info@govliquidation.com that gives a record of my max bid like this:

This email has been sent in confirmation of the following bids:

Event ID: 50xx
Lot Number: 76xx
Bid Amount: $295.00 up to $805.00

What did your confirmation email state?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If GL has access to the autobid amounts, they would then be able to manipulate the numbers. If Customer A had an autobid amount set at $5,959, and no one else was bidding, they could make customer B bid on the truck knowing that he would not win it. All they would be doing is getting ALL the money that someone had put on autobid. I would think that this would be illegal. Don't know if that is what happened, and I would like to think it does not, but if everone bid manually, they would not be able to even have the chance.
You could be onto something. There is no doubt GL has access to the bid amounts. If I was going to screw with the bids that's how I would do it.

I do use autobid about every time I bid. I hate the "bid wars" you get into with people when each of you bump in one at a time. There are srategic advantages to autobid IMO.

I will say that most of the time I end up paying close to my max though. Could be coincidence or could be GL making sure I pay my max. I have no proof that GL is doing shady bidding but it's not out of the relm of possibility.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
"The truth is stranger than fiction Judgy Wudgy"......Curly Joe Howard, Three Stooges, "Disorder in the Court".

GL's objective is to make the maximum profit for the company.

Would they risk criminal charges for bid rigging or other hijinks??

That depends on what they think is an acceptable risk verses the increase in profit.

I would not throw up an accusation unless I had concrete proof (maybe a snitch in the loop) and was willing to take the case to the proper authorities.

Just my 2cents for what it is worth.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I always get a bid confirmation email from info@govliquidation.com that gives a record of my max bid like this:

This email has been sent in confirmation of the following bids:

Event ID: 50xx
Lot Number: 76xx
Bid Amount: $295.00 up to $805.00

What did your confirmation email state?

Ditto,

If you can produce the confirmation email, and then a printout of your bid history. . .

BBELL

Take a look on the net at how many gensets that are being resold by GL! I stumbled accross one that i was out bidded on. I didn't know I was playing against the house!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks