• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F-35 Vertical Landing

Josh

Probably the best program I've seen about the F35 is Nova - Battle Of the X-Planes.

About 2 hours, talks about the compation between Boeing and Lockheed Martin.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone sent me this in an e-mail. Probably has some fake elements (The plane seems to float away in level flight with very little airspeed.)

Battle of the X planes part 1 is available thru PB
Nova 105 episodes 48.2 GB (download torrent) - TPB
IMHO, it's all real.
However, in this clip, thanks to some quick editing the actual time necessary to to transition from hover/vertical flight mode to aerodynamic/thrus=lift mode is "misrepresented" as instantaneous. The morphing from hover to airplane actually takes a few seconds.

Like the HARRIER before it, the F35 can perform full-hover moves, much like a helicopter. I've even seen the Harrier flown into a 4-lane highway tunnel, pivoted around it's own axis while inside, and then fly (in hover mode) right back out the same tunnel portal through which it had entered. This was done to demonstrate that it could be hidden/bunkered in existing structures in a potential battle zone.

The F35 can do the same thing with much less pilot control input (and risk of fatal error).

maynard83

40 years newer and has stealth capabilities for starters.

:)

...and the entire exhaust nozzle can pivot 90 degrees which means no more nozzles in the most vulnerable part of the aircraft, and has a ducted fan for use in hover mode. Aside from stealth, it has a much much lower infra red signature than the Harrier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks