• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Questions

mattg2448

Alright, we i kinda did a search on GL and found no hope and have been scanning the forums and haven't seen any explanations.

At the moment I am 15 years old (Possibly the youngest on the forum?) and some of you may laugh but for my first vehicle i want it to be a m35a2, my dad owns one and got me interested. Any ways because of my age and not really know much i have some questions for purchasing a truck off of Govt. Liquidation.

1) What is an EUC? Is it necessarily to have one? How long does it take to get one?

2)I bid on the truck, i win, and i pay for it, whats the next step?

3) How ehh whats the word I'm looking for, Loyal(?) is GL when buying from?

4)When and how do i file for a SF-97?

5) ship it home or drive it?

6)What should i look for or watch out for when buying?

7) Also what are some steps to make it road ready?

As i said above this is going to be my vehicle and its going to be my road car/truck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt.

lavarok

Seriously? Go find yourself an old car or pickup truck..not a deuce. If you set on buying from GL, get a M1009 and work your way up. The logistics of owning a deuce are not always obvious until you have one. Finding a parking spot can always be tricky.

cleb

I'm not sure about the age issue. I would guess you need to be 18 to buy off of GL, but I'm not sure. I'll answer your other questions though.

1. An EUC is a End User Certificate. Basically they do a background check on you, and make sure you are who you say you are, and confirm you don't have a questionable background that would prevent you from owning a B/Q item.

2. After you win your bid, and they take your money, you submit an EUC and wait for it to clear. First time ones usually take 30-90 days.

3. Not sure what you mean. If your asking if their honest and easy to deal with? Maybe... People have had issues. Stuff taken off their truck while waiting for the EUc to clear, etc.

4. Once you pick up the truck (you have 10 business days to do so after the EUC clears) you can submit the paperwork and pay $60 to gt your SF-97.

5. Personal preference and depends on the condition of the truck. I would ship.

6. Forklift damage, rust, running condition. There are a lot of things that can/will go wrong.

I would buy from a private party the first time you get a rig. GL is a long process, and you might end up with a truck that has issues. If you buy from a private party you can test drive. Although I will warn you, I would recommend something like a CUCV/M1009 instead of a deuce. A lot easier to drive, and easy to work on. I used a M1009 as a daily driver when I was in highschool/college. They are a lot of fun, and a lot easier to get into parking spaces, etc.

Good luck!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seriously? Go find yourself an old car or pickup truck..not a deuce. If you set on buying from GL, get a M1009 and work your way up. The logistics of owning a deuce are not always obvious until you have one. Finding a parking spot can always be tricky.
Extremely good advice. Don't forget the deuce costs about .40 a mile to operate at $3.00 a gallon diesel.

I started off in this hobby with a M38A1 Jeep at your age. Learned a lot from wrenching on that. When it broke, my dad would come with a chain and pull me home. Can't do that with a deuce.

mattg2448

Thanks for the fast answers, i do have enough money to be a deuce from GL If it's cheap enough and still pay for a decent pick up, but the deuce is something that i have wanted for a long time now, i have just been glued to my dads and i thought it would be interesting to occasionally drive around town and to have for playing around in, and run small trips in it.

ARYankee

If your dad has one, have you tried asking him for advice about one, and where to get one? I tend to agree with the other guys.

cleb

Its not as cheap as one would like to think. My first deuce ended at GL auction at $1840. After the 10% buyers premium, and sales tax, I was at about $2200. I had to buy all the filters, fluids (lots!), a few spare parts, fuel, etc. By the time I had it home, serviced, and had gone through most everything, I was about $3000 into it. After I got it I had to do the rear wheel seals, front axle boots and seals, rear main needs replacing, and there are a few other leaks. In tank pump failed and needs replaced. These vehicles sit on the DRMO/GL lots for months, and who knows how long they sat before that. Most will start and run, but the seals have gone out to pasture, and will start to leak after its run around a bit. It all adds up quickly. Also, insuring a deuce at your age might be hard or even impossible. I would get a CUCV. Easy to drive and insure, and snag a deuce a little further down the road. I waited to get my M35A2 until I was in college.

dozer1

Matt I was looking at the "help" section on the GL site. Not sure if your age is a prob, but is this a prob---Q: Do I need a credit card to register/bid?
A: A valid credit card (or debit card with a credit card icon) is not required to register; however, it is required to place bids. Upon placing a bid, you will be prompted through the credit card transaction sheet.
Not to sound mean or anything, but maybe your dad can borrow you his deuce from time to time and you could try a regular truck or car for awhile? good luck on whatever you decide to do..

mattg2448

Matt I was looking at the "help" section on the GL site. Not sure if your age is a prob, but is this a prob---Q: Do I need a credit card to register/bid?
A: A valid credit card (or debit card with a credit card icon) is not required to register; however, it is required to place bids. Upon placing a bid, you will be prompted through the credit card transaction sheet.
Not to sound mean or anything, but maybe your dad can borrow you his deuce from time to time and you could try a regular truck or car for awhile? good luck on whatever you decide to do..
Well, i'm thinking about just getting a pickup, but try to get a deuce by the end of the summer and maybe just have it as a project truck, and my dad says that he wants to buy the truck so its in his name until i'm 16 or 17, and he truck sits on home made rims, that wobbles the truck viciously at 20 miles an hour.. and we got his truck at a farm auction for 3,000 and it was beat to h*ll when we got it, and we ended up paying a 1000 dollars to get it fixed. As i said i really don't know, monday i'm calling the insurance agent to get a quote and see if its possible to insure it for me. I guess in my opinion, a cheap army truck is 3500 dollars.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was your age I owned a C60 chevy (I was in the firewood cutting business and either just drove it with no license or got somebody older to drive it for me) so I don't think there's anything wrong with owning a deuce at 15. I wouldn't recommend driving it on road without a license as I did though. Things are alot different nowdays.

With that being said, unless you go inspect the truck with "a fine tooth comb" before you bid it's a crap shoot with GL. Do not trust the pics or the description. Even then you have to remember that you're buying an old truck that can lay down at any time.

As long as you know what you're getting into, I say go for it. IMO we'd be much better off if more young people like you would get into something like MVs instead of staying glued to the video games and smoking pot.

Do a search about GL and you'll find alot of info about what to expect.

mattg2448

I say go for it. IMO we'd be much better off if more young people like you would get into something like MVs instead of staying glued to the video games and smoking pot.
Good examples... :cool:

But unfortunately I'm addicted to video games, and so is my dad. And i have all ways been fascinated about military stuff, and my first dream was to drive a big 8x8 osh-kosh but that will never happen, and i'm fascinated about everything to do with military stuff, guns, trucks, everything, and the m35 is by far my favorite, right now.. And a c60? that's like a semi. (Right?)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my first dream was to drive a big 8x8 osh-kosh but that will never happen
Well it could happen. All you have to do is sign your name on the dotted line when you turn 18 and Uncle Sam may just let you behind the wheel of one. ;)

A C60 is a 2-ton truck. Similar in size to a deuce.

mattg2448

Well it could happen. All you have to do is sign your name on the dotted line when you turn 18 and Uncle Sam may just let you behind the wheel of one. ;)

A C60 is a 2-ton truck. Similar in size to a deuce.
Probably should have rephrased that, that will never happen with out a good amount of bullets flying at me..

i decided if i'm joining the military, I'm fighting.

ARYankee

Paypal is now accepted as well. I'd just get your Dad to set up the account and use his info to purchase. Then you could give him the money and he could sign it over to you after it is titled.

mattg2448

So i did some thinking and i really don't want a new truck, but not a old one, i'm kinda leaning towards the CUCV and try to pull off a deuce before winter this year, but it depends on the cost, how much does a CUCV cost roughly? and how would you have a shipping company pick up your trucks, being that its in a military base and it says "Buyer Loads"?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
in michigan you have register dueces as either histroric (limits when you can drive and no cargo ) farm plates which are restrictive or 24,000# commercial plates ( $500.00 a year ) also plpd commercial ins. will run over $800.00 a year here if over 25 with cleam driving record michigan is mv friendly but not cheap

deucebigalo

I agree with everyone else, no disrespect to you and your age, but I think a M35 is way to big for you to be driving right off the bat. A cucv is better and more practical. I do applaud you for having an interest in this hobby and wish you the best of luck with what ever decision you shall make. Please dont be like all of the other hot shot kids when they get there license and wreck your MV. Also dont trust pics or statements made by GL they are not always correct!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks