• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

K-43 phone maint./poll setter

racerlee

Hello,

I just rescued a K-43 out of a metal scrapyard and was wondering where I could find parts for it. I need to rewire it and it has no seat or radiator in it. I'm not sure what year it is, but the delivery date was in 44. Its going to take a lot of work, but it will be fun.

Thanks, Lee

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! Now that's a hard-to-find bugger there. Never seen one like it in person, although I have seen a couple similar WWII era phone maintenance trucks.

The basis for this truck is the G506 Chevy, 1-1/2 ton model. Parts are not rare, but getting more uncommon by the year. They are where they are found.

Keep us updated with pics of your resto, this is gonna be good!

Some pics of other WWII telephone trucks:

Attachments

paulfarber

Wiring for the CCKW/Chevys has gone through the roof. I got quotes of over $1100 for a full CCKW harness. A Chevy is a little smaller, but I would still expect the worse. Engine cab should not be hard, its just a standard G506, but aft of the cab (sheet metal etc) you are gonna need some mad sheet metal skilz. If it has a harness, most vintage wiring shops will repro it for you... expect $5 a foot + shop time (one place quoted me $75 an hour!)

I personally would pass on a 'rare' truck unless its more or less complete... getting the small parts may never happen, and 'rare' == more $$.

Plus you generally will never find the interior tools/brackets/mounts/gear so you end up with a shell.

Vehicle of Victory and Frank Von R. in Canada are your typical starting points. Also try parts vendors from Military Vehicles Jeeps Tanks Militaria, all ex Military equipment The vast majority are vendors are overseas... but that's where the parts are.

waayfast

Welcome to the site from Salmon River Country! Thanks for posting and thanks for saving that old gal! As stated above that is one RARE configuration of the 506.Even in the event you can't find all the "loose" goodies at least the truck won't be turned into worthless adjustable wrenches made in China!

racerlee

Thanks guys for your replies. I'm some what mechanically minded, but what the heck I'll see what I can find and see if I can possibly get it back on the road. At least my father and I got the engine to fire up. As far as the tools to go with it that were original, I have no idea. The winch is still inside the back of utility box and some of the metal poles for it are there. I guess used for the winch. I kind of knew this truck was rare, but how rare is it? Do you guys think it is worth trying to restore it?

Lee

ralvincos

K43 CHEVY POLE SETTER pictures by meatball427 - Photobucket

has a nice collection of K-43 photos

And the attached photo is remains that I found of one. It took me a long time to identify what I found because it is was a 2wd Ford cab-forward chassis with 5 lug wheels instead of the 4wd Chevy 6 lug 4wd.

I saved the winch and pto gearbox which splits out from the main driveline, all still attached to a short section of the truck frame.

Ya, I recycled the 3 poles. The tip wheel was stuck. And the bottom 3 or 4 feet of the long pipes were split from collecting water and freezing. If you are leaving your derrick up, do something to keep the rain from collecting in the pipes, like drilling drain holes.

Does your winch show the name "Highway Trailer Company"?

Does the bed have a military number tag on the corner, near the passenger door, showing Highway Trailer Company? This did, and was dated in 1940. I am wondering if these beds were ever originally installed on a 2wd cab-forward Ford, perhaps for Canada. I found no evidence of the drive line being modified or re-hung. Somebody sure did a hatchet job of cutting the side compartments down to size.

I acquired this and two (1941) half-ton WC's with the curved grills, in Montana, from a ranch west of Butte. Supposedly, all had been parked since the early 1960's.

If anyone wants the monster winch, just message me. I will soon be posting it for sale. It's heavy.

Attachments

Last edited:

racerlee

Hey guys thanks for the all the help. Ralvincos, if you had the poles for the derrick, I would have bought them. I only have part or one. Yes my bed has a tag on the lower front by the passenger door made by the same company dated 1944. As for the winch I haven't looked at it yet.

tractor

I know someone who saved a complete boaring drill with winch here on the centeral coast and wants to get rid of it.
pm me if intrested

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks