• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nice Recovery write up

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have been up all night, my A.D.D. is killing me, it took 11 hours to read, but it was worth it. Super informative and easy to understand.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent write up! Lots and lots of useful information.

It brings up a problem I have with the shaped!!!? and (IMHO) incorrectly "aimed" lifting shackles, mounted on the front bumper/frame of the deuce.
They cannot be used together unless a spreader bar is used and in any use, the shape is not efficient. Running a chain through both will deform them.
When I use the mounts, the shaped shackle(s) is replaced with a straight one and without a spreader bar they can only be used one at a time.

The image below shows the 1940's correct alignment of the shackles (hooks in this case). It goes to show that some things just can't be made better, just differently.

Angling the mounts on the bumper should be a first fix.

Shaping the lifting shackles on the deuce is one of the few "design" features on the vehicle that serves no purpose other than making it "look better" with the shackles folded over the bumper.

Attachments

Hookin1

Very good article,I hope everyone reads it to....also might not be a bad idea for you guys who like to do recovery,to print it out and keep the charts and formulas in your truck. When I worked truck rollovers we used 2 wreckers rated at 35 tons each at the minimum.If you need more info on recovery and winching you can find it on the web.Look under wrecker recovery and towing.There are a lot of articles about this,the towing industry has to look at the lifting and recovery options all the time.

I used to be and eddiec still is Heavy recovery operators.If you need more info we will try to help you out.

A good source is towtimes magazine,http://www.towtimes.com/

A good source for recovery needs...http://www.awdirect.com/

rmgill

Bjorn, doesn't the allowed angle really depend on the actual angle? those front mounted hooks can't be used for lifting because they're shaped wrong, they can only be used for a front harness for forwards towing. Lifting would be accomplished by straps or chains around the frame rails on that truck, say to lift it into and out of a ship's hold.

rizzo

rmgill said:
Lifting would be accomplished by straps or chains around the frame rails on that truck, say to lift it into and out of a ship's hold.

that is what the TM says. around the rails nd through the shackles

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, I was watching the folks at Port Everglades loading 900 series trucks. They used the front shackles and chains around the bumperettes in the back. Way wrong and they damaged lots of tailgates.

rizzo

I plan on using 2 11 ft long 45k straps hooked to my front shackles (B)on one end and a single 65k strap on the other end (A), if I have to get pulled out from the front. I think 11 ft is enough to reduce the pull angle (A).

A
A A
A A
A A
A A
A A
B B
Those same two shackles mounts held up when I flat towed the M543 (35k) using a semi and towbar. I wonder what the shackles are rated at?

rmgill

You can rate them based on their diameter. That recovery article gave an indication.

How are you attaching the two straps together?

rizzo

rmgill said:
You can rate them based on their diameter. That recovery article gave an indication.

How are you attaching the two straps together?
I have some 1.5 inch shackles (all our recovery vehicles have some sort of headache rack for protection) or I would loop another strap through the two connected to the truck. Which one I use would depend on how stuck the truck is. I don't want to see what kind of damage a flying 1.5 inch shackle will do.
I didn't know about using a stick or rolled up magazine to keep the straps apart until the other day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks