• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motorcycle - unknown type

Crazyguyla

Hey Guys,

There's this Russian Motorcycle sitting on a Iraqi Army compound. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the type, year, and any other pertinant information. I have looked it over and all seems to be complete and in good shape. It missing a electric switch under the petrol tank and the front brake cable. The battery is dead and we're trying to figure out how to kick start it. How is the proper way to kick start it?

TIA,

Marcus

Attachments

B3.3T

Yep, it is certainly a Ural. It is a BMW copy, built using BMW machinery taken back to the Soviet Union after the war. The Chinese bike are Zundapp copies.

saddamsnightmare

March 30th, 2010.

Crazyguyla:

URAL DNIEPER! There are several guys in the US and at least one company in England handled thse bikes (Neville Dneiper Co.),so you should be able to scrounge parts and manuals. If you can acquire the bike and send it home its worth two or three thousand or better running, and it probably has a war record to boot. They have their supporters and their detractors, but the Russians copied the WWII BMW (think of Clink and Shultze's bike in Hogan's Heroes), they are fairly indistructible, but they usually suffered from poor springs in the valve trains and poor rings in the engines...

N.B. The Iraqi Plates pretty neat, what to get rid of it (the plate)???

Have fun with it...

"Colonel Hogan, you can't do that!!!!!!"

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

Crazyguyla

Thanks Guys,

It is a russian bike, the sn plate is all crylic letters.. my battle buddies that found it told me they found this WWII motorcycle sitting unattended. I figured a bike that old had to be in bad shape. After doing some searching on the net.. it was built sometime between '98-'00. Has the 650cc motor, and the "hand grenade" altenator (something about it seazing and blowing up) All the Iraqi soldiers want me to fix it, i might be able to leave with it legally.. shhhh on anything else LOL After looking it over today, there's obviusly a switch misssing or the i haven't located where the wires go.. the engine turns and has good compression.. probably dirty points, bad fuel, and dirty carbs.. still trying to locate a wiring diagram. It would be a neat bike to bring back. I know my dad would be more than happy to stash it in his back yard LOL

Marcus

duncan

As mentioned before, URAL, DNEPR (never saw it spelled dnieper before), or the chinese version Chang Jiang. For the dnepr, you're specificly looking for a dnepr M72. Theyre copied of the wehrmacht BMWs model 71, and most come with optional 2 wheel drive and reverse gear.

Found a working one in good shape for sale last year (for about $2k), but I lacked said money to make it stick. It's on the wishlist though.

Ow and on the BMW roots, BMW actually gave/sold the design to the russians under the molotov/ribbentrop agreement :roll:

Attachments

ALFA2

It's an Ural, and not a very old one at that, they are worth money here in U.S., if you can bring one back, will be really interesting, and small parts are still available in the U.S.

Hope this helps.

ALFA2

Milbikes

It is a 1990's Ural 650 model. They are a blast to ride. Because it may be military production, it 'should' be a little better than the civilian versions of the same era. The best made Russian and Ukraine made bikes were made during the Cold War...when they were expected to defend their country. After the wall came down, they turned to making junk (Especially Dnepr). The pre-fall Dnepr is in my opinion a better machine than a Ural of any era. I have owned/ridden about five or six Dneprs. The flatheads are great. The two-wheel drives are great too. The 'Ohio kit bikes' are junk, assembled from reject parts thrown together to look like a motorcycle. Unfortunately, the reputation of the Dnepr comes from these junk kit bikes, and NOT the early well-made ones. Many peole today get a Russian motorcycle and try to drive it in today's traffic pattern....wanting to go 70mph. They flog them mercilessly, and then complain when they break! These bikes were basically designed in the late thirties (With some modernization over the years), and were meant to go 40-45mph all day long in any weather. They still will if you maintain them, and 45 mph is all you ask of the older ones, or 55 mph for the new ones. Here is a link to a great forum where all your questions will be answered. Cool bikes!
Russian Iron Board (Powered by Invision Power Board)

JAYHAWK 1962

Check them out on e-pay. there is a guy in ohio that deals in them. cool bikes need fairly regular maintenance, performance not great. that being all of us harley riders check them out whenever they are at a rally.

Crazyguyla

found out that the bike's not abondoned.. looks to goood to be abondoned. It belongs to a Colonel of the comapny were training. He found out I was a mechanic through one of the interpreters and has asked if I could find out why it runs bad.. sounds like test drive time :)

Victor

Hi guys.
Ural and Dnepr are two different manufactures. Especially if its made after1992.
This is NOT Dnepr K750. This is Ural Ranger made by IMZ (Irbitsky Moto Zavod) special edition for Europe and Middle East. Closest model it USA is "funcTion" ($12,000).

On another hand I am surprised by 650 cc engine. Traditionally it is 750 cc (to be exactly 745 cc)
By the way, does it have drive-shaft from rear wheel to basket wheel?

duncan

You can see the driveline to the 2nd wheel on one of the pics, so yes ;) Does dnepr still manufacture bikes? I just know of ural still being in business.

The bike in the pic looks like a Ural with either 650cc or 720cc engine. If you found one in the Sandbox, it could be a 720cc which was never exported to US. The old 650/720cc engines aren't all that reliable, the 750cc engines are better. An old airhead BMW will fit this bike, when equipped with a modified Ural transmission. Don't use BMW trans, or you'll get a bike with 5 reverse gears and one forward gear :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks