• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Bob or not To Bob?

To Bob or Not to Bob

• Never... Preserve and restore only

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Some modification is OK as long as it still looks like a MV

Votes: 40 22.1%
  • Cut and chop... Its' your money

Votes: 119 65.7%

• Total voters

rwbrown72

Well friends.... There is a good discussion going on another thread about Bobbing a 5ton. I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone thought about the general question of: To Bob or Not to Bob. In the interest of full disclosure, I own a bobbed deuce. I bought it from another member already bobbed. That vehicle drew me into the hobby and I have now started to buy and preserve other MVs. Anyway, lets hear your opinions on the subject.

hklvette

I'm on the fence about this one. I have an M35 that I'd like to put ARBs in the rear axles and 14.5s up front, and that's it. I can see the attraction of a bobbed truck as an oversize pickup (think poor-man's CXT). For more rare vehicles, I prefer to take the restore and preserve route. That all said, I don't think I'll ever bob a Deuce or five ton, because I need and use the payload capacity and appreciate the third axle, but will modify them without altering their appearance greatly (think lockers, tires, turbos).

my 2cents

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost every MV i've owned came from a Fire Dept. Some modes i can understand, there are things that increase perfomnace and safety. I not a strict retsorer. But i've spent countless hours trying to figure out what some one was thinking when they did something to one of these trucks. The wiring on my M52A2 is a mess becuase some one decided toggel switches for the head lights would be a better idea. If it anit broke don't fix it. But that's just me. I am a firm believer in not stopping anyone from doing what they want with thier own truck though . If it makes you happy it's your truck.

gunboy1656

I am with Bruce on this. I cant stand the look of a bobbed truck, don't see the need to cut up a perfectly good truck for not much gain. BUT it is not my money, so do as you wish.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I do not think the MV hobby will ever be like the classic car/muscle car hobby, but maybe we can gain some insight into our hobby from theirs.

When the '64 'Vette came out, it was nearly identical to the '63, with the major exception being the split rear window was gone. Since it was such an identifying characteristic of a '63, it became really popular to cut the split out of '63's and replace the 2 piece rear window with a one piece window.

How many of you would:

A. Still think this is cool in 2010 if you knew someone doing it
B. Still do this to your '63 'Vette in 2010
C. Be pissed off if you were restoring a '63 'Vette and had to fix this hillbilly hack job?

Now, like I said, it's hard to compare the MV hobby with the classic car hobby. They only built a few 'Vettes and they built a LOT of deuces. There will always be deuces in original (whatever that is) condition.

But I still cringe when I see unalterable modifications.

Blythewoodjoe

Here's my take. First off, my money, my decision. Second, I love driving a bob deuce over a regular. I estimate it will haul 2 tons of cargo, but only has the wheel base of a long bed pickup. Easy to steer too.

As for comparing with any other vehicle on the road, you can still by a 72' deuce for $1600.00 in 2010. Nothing else like it. I was a mustang man years ago and you could never buy a "like" new old mustang for scrap price. And since most of us operate in a free market, at least for a few more years, supply and demand rules.

I voted for the third option in case it was not obvious.
Joe

rwbrown72

This is cool to hear... So many varied ideas. This is what makes the United States of America great: We can all agree to disagree and have another BEER!!!![thumbzup]

robr

Do what ever you want its your truck its your money and if you like it that is all that matters

you will never here me say something cant be done unless its just unsafe
I have heard you cant make a Deuce quiet you cant do this you cant do that or my favorite buy a different truck if you want to do that

well as long as it is safe and you have the time and money you can do almost anything to a Deuce :-D

wehring

both

I can go both ways on this one.

On one hand - I love the drive-ability of a short deuce. I have cut up several and they are truly big pickups in lieu of a small semi truck.

On the other - I just picked up a rare 5 ton that I could not bring myself to cut down. It would be a PERFECT shorty but I can not do it...

I guess my take on the subject is... both.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

gtsig

I have if you can make something better even if it's for yourself only, them go for it. I am going to get a deuce and then I will bob it or maybe I will leave it long. But I want to do so many things to it that I know it will not be a normal MV. That is what is fun with any thing you love, is to enjoy it and have fun. And we will sit around here (on SS) or around a camp fire and talk about how one of you restored it perfectly and the other will talk about how they made a deuce with a lift bed and the other person bobed it and added a 400hp engine to go up the hill faster. I am reading and getting great ideas of what I want my truck to be and like I had said I will put Tanka Truck on the tail gate LOL
Everybody keep up the good work and can't wait to meet you all up close and have a beer:beer::driver:

rwbrown72

Looks like the choppers have the early lead. I thought by posting this in the morning all the old coggers would vote for more preservation. I guess that is why I don't run the country. I know nothing and I'm sticking to my story!:confused:

KsM715

If I had the money I'd buy 2 of everything. One to restore one to mod.

No mod is unfixable it just takes time and money.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have had a bobber (traded for a tanker) and I have two regular deuces left out of the fleet I used to have.

Since the last deuce I picked up has 1100x20 radials (hubs flipped and singled out) on it and the bed is buggered up I may bob it......but I will always have at least one full sized one for heavy hauling (you can't get a butt load of crusher run on a bobber).

If I do bob it I will go with power steering, a custom flat bed (don't like the M105 bed), dual stack exhaust, twin springer seats with console and some other custom ideas rolling around in my head.

I agree that a rare truck (pipeline, pole setter, M275 tractor, etc.) should be preserved...there are plenty of plain Jane dueces that can be bobbed.

GreenDoc

I can see saving a couple of these for museums, or sentimental reasons. But other than that I say "Hack 'em all up!!" fat lady sings
You who call yourselves "purists" need to think about this...The more these vehicles are Rodded, Customized & Modified, the more broad the appeal & the greater the fanfare. ...Not just from veterans, but from the untold masses!!..... You may cringe at this at first (I don't care either way) but If you stick to your (old & creaky)...GUNS, you'll find that all them thar' whippersnappers "ruining" Their trucks have ..(read carefully now)....INCREASED THE VALUE & APPRECIATION of your STOCK TRUCKS!!!
The example cited earlier about Street Rods is right on. I had a '57 Chev in High School...Do I even need to tell you that it was NOT STOCK?!!! I got more attention than Pamela Anderson visiting Vatican City. The Geritol crowd scoffed at how I'd "ruined" a fine car. :twisted:
I sold my '57 in the mid '80's, for a pretty penny (at the time). The funny part is that I've had some of my old classmates tell me that they had gotten into Hot Rods because of my CHEVY. The funny part is they both have very nice & totally different cars...One is a completely stock Convertible, & the other is a balls out Monster!....But they Both credit me for their interest in the sport?.

Who knows how these big green Hulks will be MOST revered??....Correct CARC colors standing at attention ready for inspection, or Bobbed with a Monster motor & built to the hilt???
..........Who cares?!!!! There's Gajillions of 'em!! :-o Just get one soon!!

jbingvtx

I believe that it is up to the owner. I agree with many posters that a rare truck would be a poor choice but there are many standard trucks that would make fine custom jobs. A bobbed deuce is not at the top of my "mv's to own" list but it is on there. Bob away craftsmen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks