• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton gasser hi-po mods?

m139h2otruck

Anyone know of any type of hi-po upgrades for the 602 gasser motor? Have already added the Zenith carb, new dist., new plugs, set valve lash, set timing and changed the oil. May try and adjust (raise) gov. settings to 3000-3200 max loaded speed. Any ideas? There was an old post about turbo boosting the gasser, which is not a bad idea if you can control the fuel correctly. Anyone know where to get Zenith carb parts?
Thanks

m.walker

Judging by the mufflers on my gassers , the exhaust could definetely use some attention . Look at the compression it's really low so it can run on low octane gas . Mine have plenty of low end grunt , I would be a little hesitant on shooting for higher rpm's . Maybe get an overdrive to take advantage of the torque ( more speed , better mileage ) . How did the carb work out ? I've been thinking of doing that or possibly making an adapter to run a 4 bbl . What about a better flowing air cleaner ? and maybe ram air ? What about running propane ? Lots of ideas to tinker with let me know if you try any , and how they come out .

Westech

CPL
propane does nothing for a gas motor. dont wast your time with that. my friend has a m54 and were redoing the points, coil, wires and plugs. we sent the carb out to be cleaned and rebulit but because of the huge CID and very low compression there is not going to be anything you can do to make it a race car. its a 602 CID line 6 gas motor.

m.walker

Propane instead of a carb NOT as a power adder ! The carb is 40 years old it shouldn't be hard to improve on it .He's looking for improvements and the only way to find them is by looking not just dealing with it . Just looking for ideas and open discussion not to be shut down .

eddiec

timing, air flow, exhaust flow, and increasing the jet size in the carb, ( more fuel and air, more fire), also maybe a slightly hotter plug.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Propane may do nothing for the engine but it certainly doesn't do anything against the engine either. Slightly lower BTU but unlimited shelf life, cleaner burn and less moving parts to deal with. Don't sell propane short as an alternative fuel, the neighbor down the street is a gas contractor and had a mid 80s Ford F-150 that was converted to propane when new. After 400,000 miles I just can't see the bad side to this. Oil was always clean as well.

JasonS

Simply increasing jet size and/or advancing timing won't likely gain you anything. There is only so much you can do with low compression and low rpm.

red devils dude

if you build engine's you could play with carb's the cam but like m.walker and eddiec said start wiht air in and
out(exhaust) but I thought these engine were like 196hp and 400lb-ft how much power do you need these are
old truck not much in the get up and go department.

DUUANE

PROPANE

a few years back we built an 80's suburban with a small block and specd the engine for propane.
hi comp pistons. decked the block and heads,new valves,big cam,headers.
by the time it was all said and done the compression was up around 13 to1.
propane has the advantages of having 115-120 octane rating(depending on where you buy it) so outa this world compression is no problem.and there's no float in the mixer so no stalling or flooding on grades.
that small block just roasted the tires.tons of power.
most out of the box conversions are "economy" setups not designed to make power and the most common mixer flows only 425 cfm.
how many 450 cfm carbs really do that well for making big power?
check out the model 600D in this link...
http://www.propanecarbs.com/examples.html

this should provide all the mix you could ever want.and it can be mounted any way you want up,down or whatever.

here's a link for the zenith stuff

http://www.zenithfuelsystems.com/

rdixiemiller

I drove an old gasser RD450 IHC years ago. Slow revving, high torque. That is what it was built for. The 602 should be a little slow to rev up because of the enormous rotating mass. The low compression won't help either. Within it's design specs, it is a good motor. I would be concerned running unleaded fuel in it. I would imagine it would be hard on valve seats.

rdixiemiller

Low lead gas was way in the future when these engines were designed and built. I do remember the small block Chevy's went to stellite valve seats when unleaded was mandated. Tetra-ethyl lead lubricates valve seats.

DUUANE

NOS

i spoke to my neighbour,he designs n.o.s systems for anything that runs gas.
n.o.s. is perfect for building torque.(port injected)
the only thing would be you'd need a huge bottle or multiple units if you wanted to use it lots.
he sure had a laugh when i told him it was 100ci per cylinder..
but he was confident you'd be able to roast the tires,or pretzel the driveline.
if you want more info just lemmie know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks