• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Be careful with jacks

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,
I had something happen to me last night that I felt I should share.

I am in the middle of replacing the 9.00x20 NDTs tires on my m109 with 11.00R20 tires. I had the front driver side axle jacked up with a horrible freight 12ton bottle jack. As I came up on a stroke, the piston actually came out of the housing, spraying jack oil all over and of course the axle slammed down. Lucky, I always also use a jack stand of sufficient capacity. And I keep it pulled up against whatever it is I'm lifting.

I learned this lesson long ago on my very first vehicle, a Chevy S-10. I almost dropped it on my head. lesson learned quickly!

Just thought I would put this out there, so others would see it and maybe save someone who didn't think about it or didn't know.

Attachments

Last edited:

badgmc56

A jack stand is a must. Even if your going to jack some thing up for a short while. 35 years in the repair business have taught me a lot of valuable lessons. You just proved what being safe is all about. Also you get what you pay for. Should never skimp on jacking equipment.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that does make me wake up some.. ill dig up my stands from under neath the pile and start usuing them[thumbzup] thanks

taildragger03

That goes for floor jacks as well. You never know when hydraulics may fail. On that note check your fluid in your jacks.
Glad your to hear your safe and sound!

hof3414

Glad to hear your okay. Funny thing is, I was just at Harbor Freight a few hours ago where I picked up a 20 ton bottle jack. I don't plan on using it as the primary maintenance jack but instead keep it in the truck for roadside repairs. I also keep different size pieces of wood in my truck a few 6x6's, 4x4's, 2x4's which make great safety stands when you have to improvise.

ALFA2

Just as an outside thought, no jacking of a truck should be done without blocking the wheels properly with at least two wheel chocks, rated for the trucks weight. This is to prevent the wheels from rolling even ever so slightly, which can disbalace the truck and knock it of of the jack an or other jack-stands, even when well placed. This could be expensive and embarrassing, also no one here is healthy enough to bench press a Deuce or larger truck.

Hope it helps.

ALFA2

Lorax

Ferro, maybe it's just the picture, but your jack stand extension looks bent too. I don't trust jacks, or jack stands. While jacking up a vehicle, there's always blocks of wood used as a safety. 6x6 and 2x6 blocks. If used on the MVs, then two blocks wide is also used.

gtsig

The jack didn't look in the greatest shape (some rust). Never leave your jack and jack stands outside for long time because the rust damges them and the sun damges the rubber seals.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro, maybe it's just the picture, but your jack stand extension looks bent too. I don't trust jacks, or jack stands. While jacking up a vehicle, there's always blocks of wood used as a safety. 6x6 and 2x6 blocks. If used on the MVs, then two blocks wide is also used.

I checked it, it is straight, so it must just be the picture. I know I probably shouldn't have used the jack- I was given it by my father when he moved out of his house, and I couldn't find my nice government ones (the red one in the first 'reenactment' picture) So that's another tip, check your jacking equipment before use and take care of it.

Good idea on the wood too, but sometimes blocks can be rotten inside and you dont' know until they suddenly take the weight and split wide open (ask me how I know)

Good tips in this thread from others as well.

The main point I wanted to make was don't jack the truck up to work height, then put the jack stand or blocks under. Go up with the jack, so if it fails, it won't fall far.

gunboy1656

This is one lesson my dad taught me years ago while working on his pickup, I never asked if he learned the lesson first hand, but it is one piece of advice I always listened to.

tsstout

That reminds me.. not to hijack or anything... But a few weeks ago I was spinning the landing gear of my 105 trailer up to hook my truck up to the pintle, and I must have hit, or something, the handle that locks the landing gear in place and it disengaged and the loaded trailer dropped to the tarmac... just missing my legs... I had to use the bottle jack and stand to get it back up high enough to get the landing gear back under it.... Quite nerve racking when heavy stuff pretends to be a basketball....

Sevo

DUDE!!! I Told you to use my 10ton jack!!! Man I am happy you are ok. NOW GO TO MY HOUSE AND GET THE JACK !!!!![thumbzup]

THis is exactly why I bought it. Those **** bottle jacks scare the **** out of me.

TaylorTradingCo

jack dropping

I had a Deuce fall off two bottle jacks today. They fell sideways. I was taking the front axle off and had been under it for hours. I knew better, but you know how it is when you gotta get something done. I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and twisted clear as it came to the ground.

Derek Taylor

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DUDE!!! I Told you to use my 10ton jack!!! Man I am happy you are ok. NOW GO TO MY HOUSE AND GET THE JACK !!!!![thumbzup]

THis is exactly why I bought it. Those **** bottle jacks scare the **** out of me.
You know how the bed of my truck is dude, no place to put it! And is 10ton the capacity, or how much it weighs? I can't remember... :D I couldn't get it, it needs a TWO MAN lift. But my team is one man now... Hmmmm??? lol

Excellent post. I too luckily survived a similar lesson in my younger years. I crawled under my C20 to find out what was wrong with the harmonic balancer. Before I knew it, the oil pan was touching my chest. Naturally I panicked and started scooting as fast as I could.

I turned my head to look at the floor jack and it was 2 " below the frame of the truck already...whew.

This was a top quality jack that was just old and worn. My uncle failed to mention the jack stands and being a dumb country boy I didn't have enough sense to use blocks or anything.

All's well that ends well but ever since then I use jack stands and blocks any time I crawl under anything heavier than a 6 pack of cold brews.

Stay safe my friends! There's no such thing as a "quick peek" under your vehicle.

Glad you fellas are all well after your encounters.

:deadhorse:

Sevo

You know how the bed of my truck is dude, no place to put it! And is 10ton the capacity, or how much it weighs? I can't remember... :D I couldn't get it, it needs a TWO MAN lift. But my team is one man now... Hmmmm??? lol

It weighs that much for sure rofl

well it's there if you want to use it. Please do. I remember you and I having this conversation about those jacks. I said I dont trust them. I remember taking my NDTs of 08 and putting the radials on. I was not feeling the mojo the entire time i was under her with those bottle jacks.:cookoo:

anyways, thanks for the heads up on these suckers. It really helps me see why I had the feeling I did.

I am happy you are ok. Thanks for posting about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks