• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My setup works, Yay !

frodobaggins

Well, I'm very very happy, because I bought all of this, and if it didn't work, I was going to have to sell it. It needed to be able to pay for itself. Now that I know it works, I can start working on some military trailers I need to sell.

I bought a little 5.5 HP (Honda), 20 gallon PUMA air compressor, 1 10 gallon
pressure pot, and made a little manifold to add in my electric Hitachi compressor
for a little bit more CFM.

Well today I set it all up and tested, and it works wonderful. I am very happy.
Only problem I had was the el cheapo hose clamps they had on the pressure
pot. They caused an accident when I went to clear a clog, the hose popped off
and put some sand in my hand. I'll have fun digging that out tonight aua

Anyway, here are some pics of today's test session, sorry just a boat trailer,
but soon a M105 will be blasted :)

Attachments

frodobaggins

BTW, I've already replace the el cheapo hose clamps with some good ones, and I wore gloves for the rest of the time. :)

I try to learn quickly.

BTW, I originally bought play sand, had to screen the crap out of it, went to another
place and got some well screened #2, worked much better !

frodobaggins

That little compressor keeps up with it? I find that hard to believe.
It does with the electric one attached with it, they both cycled on and off and I was blasting continuously. I think the book on that pot said it needed about
15 cfm @ 90 for that nozzle, with both together I have about 19-20 @ 90.

:jumpin:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I know its been stated a billion times, but make sure you protect your lungs when using sand to blast. It will cause silicosis, and that is bad.

LanceRobson

Given how inexpensive aluminum oxide media is I would advise against usind sand. Even a very small amount of leakage around the respirator will (not can or may, will) cause some lung damage. The damage is cumulative and permanent. I wouldn't risk the stuff even with my supplied air respirator.

If you are working outside and want to recover some of the media, working over a large tarp will catch some of it.

I suspect, from personal experience that moisture is going to be a clogging issue, especially on humid days. Draining your tanks of water often will help some. If you are going to be using the set up often maybe a tank off an old defunct compressor would serve as an air receiver and give the air time to cool some and for the water to precipitate out. Bigger would be better.

Lance

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i definity need to get my blaster a better compressor.. il glad that frodo is working on his rusty stuff.. we all need to work safe and watch out for each other.. we do tend to forget... and all that used sand can fill in the ruts:beer:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect, from personal experience that moisture is going to be a clogging issue, especially on humid days. Draining your tanks of water often will help some. If you are going to be using the set up often maybe a tank off an old defunct compressor would serve as an air receiver and give the air time to cool some and for the water to precipitate out. Bigger would be better.

Lance
Bryan and I have a 12" dia pipe about 7' long down here waiting for the hobbit to pick up to use as a reciever. Been waiting for him to pick up for the past, oh, 4 months...Guess the hobbit don't get out of the Shire too often....

frodobaggins

Given how inexpensive aluminum oxide media is I would advise against usind sand. Even a very small amount of leakage around the respirator will (not can or may, will) cause some lung damage. The damage is cumulative and permanent. I wouldn't risk the stuff even with my supplied air respirator.

If you are working outside and want to recover some of the media, working over a large tarp will catch some of it.

Lance

No one carries it around here, or any black beauty either, still looking for it. The sand is just a temporary measure for now, when I get a little booth set up, I'll move to better media. My respirator seals real well, and I work outside for now, so I'm not real worried.

As for moisture, right now it doesn't seem to be a problem, but I'll play it by ear to see how it goes.

frodobaggins

Bryan and I have a 12" dia pipe about 7' long down here waiting for the hobbit to pick up to use as a reciever. Been waiting for him to pick up for the past, oh, 4 months...Guess the hobbit don't get out of the Shire too often....
Oh I thought you guys were going to deliver... :oops:

LanceRobson

If there's a Tractor Supply nearby, they stock it. Are there any welding shops, body shops or sandblasting outfits ( that includes folks who do grave head stones) you might be able to piggy back a purchase with? Also, most auto parts places can get t at reasonable prices.

Lance

frodobaggins

If there's a Tractor Supply nearby, they stock it. Are there any welding shops, body shops or sandblasting outfits ( that includes folks who do grave head stones) you might be able to piggy back a purchase with? Also, most auto parts places can get t at reasonable prices.

Lance
Do have a tractor supply near work, and one being built by my house about 2 miles away, that might work out great :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks