• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog Chassis and Axles

aximony

I am considering purchasing a Unimog rolling chassis which will form the basis for a Kaiser M715 Jeep.

Before I start researching my buying options, these questions come to mind:

1. Is there a limited number of tire sizes that fit the Unimog's axles? Most of the Unimog photos I've seen show tall and thin tires, are there any short and wide tires than fit, as well?

2. It seems the U1300 has an overdrive option for speeds in excess of 50 MPH.

Are there any other models that have similar overdrive gears?

3. Can a Unimog be slightly lowered to provide better stability at highway speeds?

deloit

The 1300's are great, friont axles are dual disc brakes, front and rear air lockers; but $$$$$$. Look into the 416 version, similar, but cheaper. I'm sure your surfing the Mog boards.

The 1300's are 20" wheels, you can get custom 20" made to fit. Not sure about lowering, but they are stabe already, look at some of the u-tube stuff.

saddamsnightmare

April 13th, 2010.

Aximoney:

The Unimogs are much more stable then most civillian cars and trucks, don't let their high stance fool you, check YouTube and the Wikipedia article on the Unimog.... The S404 and U1300L's are essentially cab over trucks, so they are limited in the width and size of tires you can use if you want the short turning (relatively speaking) radius that they are designed for. Also that front cab design may pose some problems with your steering shaft geometry...... Why is the Unimog in question not complete? And are there any comparable size and weight civillian trucks (EG,Dodge,Ford, or Chevy) 5/4 tons that might be easier to work with? The Unimog portal axles are not particularly designed for any degree of lowering, as ground clearance and breakover angles are essential in the work these vehicles normally are used for. Remember they are really high speed tractors, not trucks....!

I would suggest that you drive an intact Unimog first to see just what they are like and what they can do, afterwards you may be less inclined to mess with perfection.

2centsJust my thoughts as a Unimog owner, nothing else will do when you NEED a Unimog's capabilities.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

aximony

The more I learn about the Unimog the more I like it.

I'm taking all this information in.

My only question at this point is, where can I test drive a Unimog? Do I test drive a new one just to get a feel for it, or is the difference between a 1970s $4000 Unimog and a brand new 2010 model like night and day?

saddamsnightmare

April 13th, 2010.

Aximony:

If you were in North East Texas I would be pleased to take you for a ride in the S404.114. Not a lot of speed, not much in brute power, but rarely ever stuck, and it rides and handles good. The only problem my S404.114 has given me is from bad gasoline, a common problem down here as they don't clean the station tanks correctly. If I had the money I would hunt down a very good used U1300L diesel, with Ultra High Speed Axles, usually found on a fire truck or ambulance chassis, as they can cruise 70 MPH all day long, and the U1300L's are generally diesels.
Bear in mind that the stock S404.114 (about equivalent in design to a Model AA truck (Ford), has final gearing in the axles of 7.65 to 1, and the stock transmission is 6 gears ( 1 & 2 low range forward & reverse) 3,4,5 & 6 are the road gears and FWD gears.
The transfer is set up: 2WD, 4WD, 4WD-Locked mechanically so all 4 wheels have to slip together. The transfer case is sufficiently sophisticated that it will shift into and out of 2wd, 4WD, 4WD-Locked without the clutch if the truck is not slipping, if it is the clutch must be used to get the truck to go into or out of gear. No slipping, no clutch needed for any shifts in the transfer case!!! There is an add on auxilliary transmission for 1 &2 gear that will give the truck 8 gears in low range and L/L will cover about 450' per hour! They also have the ability to take front, rear, left and right PTO connections, and the U1300L's have or can be adapted to drive a diverse set of hydraulic implements, like our SEE's do.
My Unimog prefers to cruise about 40-42 MPH (approximately 60KM/PH), due to the brass bearings in the transmission, they hate going much faster for any length of time, but it could in a dire emergency hit 56-60 MPH very briefly. Personally, I would hate to get rid or either truck, as both have their merits, but most guys that have had Swiss S404.114's in good shape and have sold them almost always regret the fact later....
Mog 1300L up above seems like he would give you a ride in a U1300L, once you have tried one, nothing else will do, asl Mike Pop on here about the one he had.....

I might end up posted at Edison National Historic Site in West Orange, N.J. depending on how my job search with the Federal Government goes, so you may get to see a S404.114 and an M35A2 in the neighborhood..... ( or with my luck, I might not get employed at all and have to sell all the toys and the house....!).

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks