• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This GL auction is disgusting.

Dieselsmoke

Yeah, but how can the government contractors stay in business if uncle doesn't spend our tax money buying new stuff :cookoo:

FrankUSMC

The planes that are being sold are most likely hanger queens that have been picked over to were there is little left in them. We got in 3 H53s from that bone yard this year to rebuild to replace war loses. The 3 that were picked to be rebuilt were dogs!, but they were the best in the bone yard. The planes are only good for scrap, even if you was to try to get one to put at a VFW as a gate guard would cost some $$$.
Sad way to go.
One of the few, Frank

M35guy

Either that, or they're totally worn out aircraft that are no longer fit to fly in any capacity. like a truck, you can only use them for so long before their usefulness is gone, and they're no longer rebuildable or something like that.

ida34

Frank, Did you look at the pictures? They are buttoned up like they are mothballed. All the engines and openings are sealled like a boat going to storage. They do not look like the typical boneyard parts planes. None looked stripped to me. It is a crying shame. I am sure it is a left over Clinton demil order.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either way the 53 would make a great playhouse for my kids (and me). Even without rotors I'd love to have it in my yard. Not that I would care but sure would like to see the look on the neighbors faces when it showed up!

ida34

Did you see the demil statement. Every major component has to be demiled. You would have to weld it together to make playhouse.

NEIOWA

ida34 said:
Did you see the demil statement. Every major component has to be demiled. You would have to weld it together to make playhouse.
reread NO PARTS REMOVAL......DEMILITARIZATION TO BE ACCOMPLISHED BY COMPLETELY DESTROYING WITH HAMMERMILL OR SHREDDER

Dieselsmoke

ida34 said:
Frank, Did you look at the pictures? They are buttoned up like they are mothballed. All the engines and openings are sealled like a boat going to storage. They do not look like the typical boneyard parts planes. None looked stripped to me. It is a crying shame. I am sure it is a left over Clinton demil order.
EVERY aircraft at Davis Monthan is sealed up that way to preserve them, even the cannibalized parts planes.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't see any evidence of any parts being removed from the pics anyways. It would make me feel better if they were canabalized.

ida34

Even if they were cannibalized they are still in fixable shape by the way they look. Some parts missing is one thing. A fuselage with the wings cut off and no tail these are not.

OK, I think that that you all missed the key phrase "term contract". The auction is for the scrap that they generate over a certain period of time. The photos they put in the bid solicitation are only representative pics of pretty birds still awaiting their fate. The aircraft that will be scrapped will probably already have had extensive parts reclamation and probably also most will have been treated to the guilotine to sever the wings and fusalage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks