• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help towing a M1009 from Aberdeen, Md. To Richmond, Va.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is kind of a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone the Aberdeen, Md. Rally might be able to help me tow my M1009 home? I am in the situation where I won a M1009 Blazer up there, but I did not properly plan the getting it home part. I don’t really have a proper tow vehicle, and the time I went up there hoping to have a friend drive it home went nowhere due to them not having a key for the ignition. I live just south of Richmond, Va., and I think from looking at the caravan route I am just a block of it.
Thanks,
Ethan

mangus580

Builder, will you be coming up to the show? Do you know what is wrong with it? Can you put it on the road and drive it?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well it said that it was running on the side of the vehicle, so I am guessing it is ok other then sitting for months. They don't have a key for it, and I don't know too much about tearing down a stearing column on a GM (yet). Is it easy to break the steering lock cartheft style to get it out of there? It was suggested I pull the steering link, and either drop the drive shafts. I fugure I can get it out of the base like that. I have built a heavy duty tow bar. I had not planned to drive up to the Aberdeen rally, but if someone could help I would try to get off of work to get it off the base on thursday and then meet whoever.

mangus580

Did you try taking the 'standard' cucv key in with you? Do you have title paperwork to plate it? If its listed as running, the only real problem for you is the key then isnt it?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah I had a set of the universal keys along with me, and they were the same as the keys they gave me for the truck. The ignition must have been changed at some time though. They told me they drove it to its current location, so they had the key originally. I don't have the title yet, but I have gotten and can get a trip permit from my DMV. It was not actually listed as running by the way, but it is written on the side of the truck as running. I guess my only "real" problem, if it can be turned on, is that due to the very limited access at Aberdeen and the key problem I have not been able to get any help with friends to drive it home. I wish I had a decent tow vehicle, and I would not have a problem.
Thanks,
Ethan

mangus580

I guess what I was thinking was, if you can get up to aberdeen and be prepared to drive it home, i dont see why we couldnt get it goin for you, so you could drive it home. And maybe have a towbar plan as a backup?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Mangus,
That actually sounds like a great idea. While I know alot about 2 and 4 stroke gas engines I know nothing about diesels, so that would solve that problem. I will have to see if I can get off work, and figure out some plan for this. If the Blazer was running I might be able to tow my car home.
Thanks,
Ethan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks