• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help in NH with my m38

BillF

Is there anyone in or around Southern NH that is good with the L-134 engine? I am having problems getting mine to run right since going into storage for the winter. I just need an extra set of eyes and ears to figure out the problem.

Boatcarpenter

Bill,
I'm no expert on the engines, and you don't say what is happening, but the first thing that would occur to me is a fuel problem. If you left your tank full of fuel that has ethanol in it, you may be experiencing fuel separation symptoms and possible water problems. I might try purging the carb of old fuel and hook up a can of fresh fuel somewhere close to the engine and see if she runs better.
After that I suppose I would just try the usual things with a point, condenser and coil ignition system.
Just my 2cents.
Good luck,
BC

Carl_in_NH

I concur with BC - Ethanol fuel has been causing problems when stored; a local equipment and small engine repair place has been getting generators that don't run right and is having to do nothing more than to drain and refill the fuel system to get them running properly again.

Failing that, I'm happy to help if I can. I'm no L-134 expert - but don't mind trying to help you debug. We've also got a club 'shop day' coming up in a week - and engine diagnostics and testing is one of the subjects. You could drive it down this way if it's running well enough to do so and a bunch of folks would be available to assist. PM me about this if you wish.

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

YEP, bet it was ethanol.......been hearing that when it sits, the ethanol separates and then on the first start, it heads through the carb and is really bad for the seals. Since hearing about this, at the end of the year, I fill my tanks at the station here in town that is ethonol free, have not had a problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks