• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian version of the FMTV?

rorybellows

i remember seein an announcement in petersons a few years ago. they were quoted at only 125 new. but stewart and stevenson website cant navigate you to the site anymore. id def take one if i had cash like that to blow

four_by_ken

I dont want one. I have a set of LMTV axles and I am looking for spare parts sources.

The axles were originally designed with a disc brake option. The military never bought that option that I can find proof of. So, I was hoping these axles were also put into some kind of civilian LMTV... and maybe the disc brake option was used there.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own an LMTV 4x4 that is a wreck, once I sell the gun truck I can afford to bring it back from Colorado. The few that have gotten out are rollover wrecks, fire damaged hulks, etc. They are still pretty new, and most of the good ones get rebuilt.

blhar15

Yes, there was a civilian version called the SD Brazo. When BAE bought out Stewart Stevenson, this truck was developed for the civilian market and has a standard 17 digit VIN. The truck is basically a LMTV M1083 with a 17 digit VIN. I actually have five of these right now and may sell some.

BAE-Systems-3-web-1024x481.jpg

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they produce them with the upgraded frame, you could buy an up armored cab if/when they come up for sale and just swap it out. the A0 and A1 (IIRC) don't have the frame strength to support the entire armored cab and can lead to some bad frames.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To update this thread, BAE completely abandoned the SD Brazos product when they lost the FMTV contract. All factory inventories of parts went either to a few secondary sources, or to the trash or scrap. Oshkosh does not supply/manufacture the unarmored cab or any parts for it.

EODTECH90

That makes sense, who really needs a truck with those capabilities though, outside the military. Save for logging companies and mining, and the petroleum industry. But having driven these things a lot, they don't really do well over 55 so I can see why they would not sell them to the public, the demand I wouldn't think is there.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the OP was looking for parts for the FMTV but a truck that looks close and is very cheap is available on the market. I am referring to the British Bedford MJ. I have one and its quite a truck, with a Perkins Turbo Diesel and very good off road ability. It is a little heavy and does sink into soft surfaces but it will pull through them and is very capable. I know you can pick them up in the UK cheap and there are a bunch in Canada. They have a drop side box and the cab does not flip forward but has access hatches for working on the Motor. They also have a gun hatch in the roof. I have mine for sale in the Classifieds here under thinning the herd. Eddy

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks