• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New WC-51 or 52?

panzerbob

Was poking around a friend of mine's ranch last weekend and ran across this !!!!

its a wc-51 or 52, no data plates but the body is in incredible condition, no rust!!! (gota love southwest desert)

that's the good new, bad news is there is no engine. Someone took out the original engine and put in a v-8 with auto transmission. I have a spare engine but its really rough, dono if it is salvageable, and is missing alternator, fan, starter, distributor. I did find the original transmission with it, so that is a bonus.

The data plates are gone, as is the original bumper. Is there any way to tell if it is a wc-51 or 52?

Just got done with the deuce and the kubelwagen, guess it time for another project. The best part is that he is letting me have it for free on "perminant loan" status.

Attachments

Last edited:

panzerbob

How well do I know this friend? He is the kind of friend that if you told him you needed a spare kidney he would be first in line. He is truly a gentleman of honor, something rare indeed in this day and age! In addition to that he is a civil war reenacting buddy who wants to see our ww2 reenacting offshoot grow, but is not really interested in joining it.

The plan is to restore it back to ww2 condition, with one minor alteration, the "Beverage Holder, dashboard mount, M1" is going to stay!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Gosh...you guys in the South West have the nicest stuff to play with!!!

WWII stuff on the "right coast" is either worth it's weight in gold....or rusted to the point it can't be identified.

I say save that truck...and if ya have to...marry the owner...just:grd::not worthy:

pavehawk

looks like a wc-52. The bumper should be right below the grill and if the glove box door has 2 places for data plates. The left one is for the serial number and the right one is for the winch. Also look at the left forward frame by the fwd spring mount. That is where the serial number is. It will be 51 million something. The truck is 42 because the dodge plate on the radiator cover. Hope this helped.

68427vette

Id buy it, $500, looks like a 52,, check the rear bed, for some extra supports,, making it a wc55,, looks to have a data plate on the glove box. should have DOD.. jc

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if you can trace the ownership history. You might find the engine. This happened to a friend of mine that bought an M715 that had a V8 in it. He went back three owners and found the original engine in good shape behind the guy's barn. He was given the engine free.

panzerbob

the engine was looooong gone but the gentleman did have a spare engine and transmission from a M-37 to put in it. Engine is getting crank reground right now, tranny is getting cleaned and painted. Found the serial number, forgot to write it down will go back and get it after it stops raining (one of our two rain storms for the year) The driver side does not have the indent for the spare tire, where should it go? Right now the truck has been torn down, just need to get the bed and cab off and it will be blasting time.......and time to start spending on parts aua

more pics to follow

panzerbob

serial number 81529836 the left plate on the glove box is REALLY rusted weird, only piece on the car that is. delivery date looks like 5-20-unreadable

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Er...panzerbob....I don't want to seem skeptic...or maybe I missed something...but what is the defination of permanent loan, and if the loan is no longer "permanent" who takes the tab for money spent etc??

I only ask because we are always getting fellers that want to "donate" there jeep, truck, etc., for display and ask us to get it running etc....but they offer no funds.....or BOS etc.

I'm just a paperwork kinda guy I guess...but I would hate to semi-restore a vehicle and have the owner come and "claim" it!!!:roll:

panzerbob

Permanent loan means the truck is sitting in my yard while I work on it and we negotiate what it will take to get the title. He is fronting cash for the work right now, and if he and I work out a trade so be it. If we don't well this gentleman has helped me many time over the years and me working on his truck is a more than appropriate way to pay him back for the work he has done for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks