• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Attention texas

fletcher

Hi everyone. I dont know if i posted this in the right place. If i didnt, sorry.... I am looking for people in texas to network with or to get parts for my truck, or shop for other trucks. And even places to wheel. I live in west texas near odessa and midland. I drive my deuce all over. So any one near me, let me know. Thanks

Westex

Looks like I'm pretty close. Howdy and welcome! I actually have some land south of you down near Dryden, and the Deuce comes in mighty handy when it rains and turns the desert into peanut butter alley. It's a 4 hour drive from El Paso over to Dryden (not in a Deuce--it's more like 6 hours in it) but......p.m. me some time. It actually gets fun pulling other people's accessories off their trucks with our straps and chains and what not.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy smokes! Small world. Never thought I'd hear about Kermit again. If you were there or someone remembers, one of my Squadrons CH-53s broke there for 3 months. Broke sometime around July, August 1984. Got to play with scorpions, red ants and chase road runners, yee haw! Local cop was a Marine as well. Had fun there, good people there too.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fletcher -
I see you've already reported-in with the West Texas Detachment link below...

I'm speaking up here to further "publicize" the detachment's ROLL CALL, and to subscribe for networking purposes to your "farther west Texas" thread.

Let's rally some "hubs" of members out here in "no man's land".

Convoy-Up :!: :driver:

John
San Angelo, TX

Barrman

Temple airport, anytime Friday until mid afternoon Sunday. We will be camping out in our trucks. Last year we had around 5-10 Steel Soldier members there and about 10-15 MV's.

Westex

I gotta float this...what would Texas members think of a rally at Big Bend; or some other proximity? Big Bend is so beautiful. Hot during day; cool at night. And the stars....only being at sea rivals the stars.

Barrman

A bunch of us M715 types have looked into a Big Bend trip for several years now. Mexico and guns pretty much sums up why it hasn't happened yet. Even though we can now make the trip into the park armed, we will still be out gunned by what is coming across the river. I know you are closer to it than I am daily. Getting the family to agree to put themselves in a possible real bad situation and me being willing to take them there just hasn't happened yet for me.

Then you have the issue of MV's at the border. Are we just going to make targets of ourselves or cause a scene?

Figure that out and I would love to go. Here in the hot and wet part of the state and 600 miles each way to the park. Time is a huge consideration. Doing the state park and National Park on the same trip with a rolling convoy/camp would probably be the best way to go. The week of Thanksgiving kept coming up when we were planning this since most people get a 4 day weekend out of it.

Come on over Temple this weekend and we can figure it all out. Both of the M715's that are going to be there will be driven by guys wanting to do Big Bend.

saddamsnightmare

April 26th, 2010.

All us MV'er's in North East Texas wish you guys luck, seems nothing ever happens in our neighborhood and everything else is much to far away for either a deuce or a Unimog.... :-? You might need a quad .50 rig just to keep the drug dealers from appropriating your toys.......

Last edited:

Westex

I'm being candid here; I don't know it would be good to get a convoy or whatever down there. I know I stuck my nose in this, but the safety of us is paramount. I know how far it is, because I just got home here in El Paso from Galveston. 835 miles one way. The 'Bend' is way down south and the border is not safe. I fear a reaction from the other side if we were to show up. I could type and type and post and post about this but my job prohibits it; I reverse myself now and say that as nice as Big Bend is, unless someone has superior knowledge of the geographics of the Park over me, I vote we let things cool down along the Rio Bravo/Rio Grande until we convoy there.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree - After engaging my brain, I find myself less inclined to visit the border in an MV without actual close air support.

I personally favor the concept of a military "test range" in a 20 mile ribbon along the border from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean for the use of ALL facilities and units within 500 miles of said ribbon. We don't need not steeeekin' FENCE ! ! !

We with retired MV's need not enter that very same ribbon lest we be mistaken for active duty military components.

Texas has MANY other state parks and federal lands available for our enjoyment.

Thanks for awakening our "better judgement".

Westex

I can't take the credit....thank Barrman. He hits several nails on the head in his post #11 above, and accurately. The bit about being on the border with military vehicles is the central issue. It would take alot of coordination to put one of these together, CBP and the Park Rangers comes to mind. I need to work on this one for a future convoy, though, as Big Bend is unique and beautiful. Consider it a future work in progress.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks