• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

500 mile recovery on WMO mix?

jtrojan715

hi all looking at getting my first m109 soon. have had m715 and currently have a 44 MB. ive been reading the wmo threads and have a hard time wraping my head around the idea. filter with napa filters,centrafuge, run it through a pant leg straight, mix, :lost:. i know some guys that own an auto shop, tranny shop, can get all the atf/oil i want. i was thinking about doing the 500 mile recovery on a 50/50 mix to off set the fuel price of my dodge and the m109. moter in the 109 was said to be rebuilt last year. does any body see any problems doing this. it will be me and a friend thats a Volvo mech, plus his and my 14year old sons. should i take extra filters? how well does the pant leg trick work(just for the first run) any input would be great should be bringing it back next mo up I-5 in CA. any members willing to lend a hand if i run in to problems

thanks for all the great threads

ojsdna744

Up to you of course, but I'd play with feeding her alternate fuels, ect. once she's home and local. That way you're familiar with it and how to "keep-er-goin" Congrats!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
JT,

I use the blue jean pants legs to filter the crispies out of veggie....if you have WMO that has big chunks in it you could go that route if you have access to cheap jeans.

The best way to filter WMO (in my opinion) is to cut it with diesel or reg gas to thin it out and get it warm to help it flow.
I have a 12 volt pump that I pump it through a big Fram fuel filter when I pump it into the fuel tank.
Water is your main enemy......that is why I set mine out in the sun and let it heat up....it helps to settle out the water....I never pump too close to the bottom of my heating container.....I keep pouring the dregs into a settling container but at some point I use the questionable stuff for starting fires.
Take plenty of spare filters with you on a long recovery when using homebrew fuel.
I would consider changing out the primary with a spin on kit with a drain feature....saves secondarys.
Just my input for what is is worth........your milage may vary.

hi all looking at getting my first m109 soon. have had m715 and currently have a 44 MB. ive been reading the wmo threads and have a hard time wraping my head around the idea. filter with napa filters,centrafuge, run it through a pant leg straight, mix, :lost:. i know some guys that own an auto shop, tranny shop, can get all the atf/oil i want. i was thinking about doing the 500 mile recovery on a 50/50 mix to off set the fuel price of my dodge and the m109. moter in the 109 was said to be rebuilt last year. does any body see any problems doing this. it will be me and a friend thats a Volvo mech, plus his and my 14year old sons. should i take extra filters? how well does the pant leg trick work(just for the first run) any input would be great should be bringing it back next mo up I-5 in CA. any members willing to lend a hand if i run in to problems

thanks for all the great threads
Hi,

I just did a 750 mile recovery that started out on 3/4 tank of WMO. The previous owner ran it exclusively.

I forgot fuel filters so I had C and C Equipment hotshot me a set of spare filters to the pickup.

The deuce did great without a hitch.

Of course, the previous owner said he had been doing good for quite a while with the WMO so I just kept adding fresh diesel as I came home.

Was I taking a chance? Yes. I also had a couple hundred pounds of tools and a spare set of fuel filters with me in the event of any problems.

Would I do it again? I would because I trusted the word of the SS member who sold me the truck.

"batteries not included, some assembly required, allow 6 weeks for delivery" (meaning, you just never know what you're gonna get).

Good luck, and be safe!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have driven THOUSANDS of miles on waste oil. If its thick and or cold, cut it with diesel. Make sure you have at least 2 full sets of fuel filters with you.

derby

I have found some filter bags used to filter WVO at McMaster Carr. The first is 25 micron, the second is 5 Micron, and the final is a 1 micron. A guy at work told me about them. He has been using them for hundreds of gallons of fuel. I think one set is about 10 bucks.

Stan Leschert

For a recovery, keep it as simple as possible. Once you have the beast home, play with it and find out what it likes, or at least will tolerate. Buy clean fuel from the pump, be over prepared and don't do anything stupid. The side of a distant highway is a really bad place to diagnose expiriments gone wrong. It's up to you, but I don't like surprises, especially expensive ones that I had a hand in causing!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found some filter bags used to filter WVO at McMaster Carr. The first is 25 micron, the second is 5 Micron, and the final is a 1 micron. A guy at work told me about them. He has been using them for hundreds of gallons of fuel. I think one set is about 10 bucks.

Happen to have the part # or catalog location? I've been digging around on the website but can't find this set of bags.

jtrojan715

thanks for all the input i think your right run it home on straight fuel :driver: then set up a refinery and play with it. dont even know if im still getting it no responces to curent emails yet. aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks