• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burma Jeep

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made my weekly call to the local Dial-A-Trade radio show and had a hit! Guy said he had a Burma Ford truck. He has no idea on the price, I am thinking $500.
James

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$500 seems right to me. You have a rare bird there, but man you'll have a lot of parts to find, and sheet metal to repair. Still, a GTB Burma Jeep is a pretty cool find.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck is really pretty solid, one rust through in the bed wheel well, a gin pole attachment to remove, the passenger seat is missing, front blackout lights missing, winch guard cut, tow hooks missing and windshield missing. But it was running when it was parked!!!! in the early 1970's.
James

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
According to David Doyles guidebook...those vehicles uncomplete and deteriorated beyond restoration is worth around $1100.00 as a parts vehicle.

I bet if you get that truck and start playing with it...you won't part it out!!!

Yes...it's missing some hard to find stuff, but generally...it doesn't look to far gone to me.

I say snatch it up:D

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He took my offer,plus a hundred, so now I need to find a way to get it home! My car hauler has seven feet between wheel wells, I think if I pull the two rear tires it my just fit, at 7250 lbs it will be near the max on my car hauler and Armada, but it's only 26 miles and I have smooth little used secondary highway all the way to the cabin!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news on the new acquisition! I think you're going to enjoy restoring that, I know I always get a kick out of out-of-the-norm vehicles. EVERYONE has seen a Willys MB or MUTT, you see so many of them at shows, unless they are really unique they get boring after a while. But THIS - this is going to bring some people over to take a look-see at what it is!

Here's a few pics I've saved over the years of other Burma Jeeps, to give you some motivation to complete the project:

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a shot in the dark, the tires on the GTB are 7.5x20, could I mount 9x20 on those wheels or better yet I wonder if I could just bolt on deuce wheels and tires? If the bolt pattern is the same this would be easy! I think it is a six lug wheel?
James

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes, duce wheels will work it has been a while, but I helped a buddy recover one of these years ago and we used to wheels of a M105 trailer to get it home .

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I need to head over to the truck to spray a little SiliKroil on the some lug nuts, if the extra tire size doesn't put me over the 7 foot limit on the car hauler? But with four good tires on it I may be able to towbar it home? But, after sitting for 40 years the trailer may be the best choice, the guy did throw in two additional tire and tubes with the truck.
James

saddamsnightmare

April 29th, 2010.

Good find.... Looks like from the info on here Uncle's been using the same wheel specifications for about 60 years.... :jumpin: That will be one very cool ride (regarding the" Fresh Air Taxicab Co of America") what with an open cab and no windshield.... Still a very neat machine.:drool:

Good luck

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Papabear:
Are you pretty sure on the dimensions, that extra two inches will be a problem. The guy has two new commercial tires for the truck, I may have to use them on the front and put the deuce tires on the rear, if I can't get them to air up for the load and unload process. As for parts I have gone back through my travel log and I know of two more GTBs in driving distance, I know one is not for sale, he is just going to let it melt into the ground but the other one is sitting off a rural road an hour or so from me, no bed but I just need some cab parts, hopefully the scrap monster hasn't gotten it yet!!!!
James

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the possible parts source, I know it is within an hours or so drive, I just have to remember the right highway? The last two shots are of a truck I first tried to get, but the owner is just going to let it melt into the ground. It's been two years and I had given up looking but not hope!
James

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks