• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

radio setup for Gama Goat.

BillIdaho

Hi guys, new guy here. I am restoring a 1973 M561, in a communications-radio configuration. Does anyone have a good pic of how the radio stuff is arranged in the rear carrier? I realize it will need at least one, and probably two of RT246's (524's), and a couple of R442's. I am going to want to have only one of the RT's to work, but the other stuff can be static display. And I realize I will need the retrans boxes, LS 454's,etc.
Thanks, I APPRECIATE all the help. Bill

Dieselsmoke

Interesting project, would like to see pics when you're done. Might try Buzz in Reno, Nevada. He knows all about them green radios, also Glen Closson and Kurt Lesser here in CA. I'll see if I can dig up their contact info. I know Glen and Kurt can be found at MVCCnews.net under contacts.

BillIdaho

Yeah, I was introduced to Buzz at Tower Park a few weeks ago. Nicest guy you could ask for. He took care of an RT524 problem I had. The guy knows his stuff! I am budgeting funds starting now for the radio stuff I will try to pick up at next years Tower Park. I am going to try for another RT524, an RT246(with retrans and LS454) and at least one R442, with hopefully the appropriate mounts/plates.
Actually, as I think about it, I would probably settle for at least one PRC 77 with a power amp.
I don't remember exactly where, but just the other day I found a photo of a Goat with two antennas mounted on the rear of the center wheels fenders. The angle wasn't very good for what I wanted to see, but there they were. The tuneables and sugar-scoops were in plain sight, but I couldn''t make out the actual mounts to the fender(s). I tried to blow up the pic, but no luck.
I am still wanting a picture of a complete radio setup of a communications/radio Goat. THANKZ Bill

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Bill said:
Hi guys, new guy here. I am restoring a 1973 M561, in a communications-radio configuration. Does anyone have a good pic of how the radio stuff is arranged in the rear carrier?
Maybe I can help. My Goat has holes in the rear carrier that appear to be from a radio mount and "sugar scoop" antenna mount. I'm in the process of selling the truck so I don't think I'll have it much longer, but I can snap pictures of the areas with the holes before it leaves for its new home. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow. While a real installation manual would help a lot more, maybe the pictures of the old holes will help.

BillIdaho

Thanks for the info. I got the corner brackets home, and when I held them in place they kinda lined up only one way, so the location of the holes for them was no longer a problem. I got two brackets, one for the MX6707, and the R442 antenna for the other side. Those go on the front two corners of the rear carrier. But I think I need at least one more MX6707 mounted somewhere.
Now my focus is the setup of how the radios (etc) were mounted. Were the MT1029 mounts bolted directly to the carrier seat areas? Or was there another plate underneath the MT 1029's, much like the MUTT installation? I also saw a photo that showed an antenna mounted on the center fender area, NOT on the carrier. Unfortunatley the quality and angle of that picture didn't show enough detail.
I don't have, and can't locate the radio installation TM for Goats, otherwise most of the information I need would be a piece of cake!
Once again, thankz for any and ALL help!!!

BillIdaho

Oops, one more question. Would TWO sugar scoops have been mounted, 90 degrees from each other on the same corner bracket? That would have put two antenna pretty close together, but would have allowed enough places to mounted the needed antennas. Maybe a full size 10' antenna on one and that 2' semi-rigid on the other? Sure wished I had the proper TM.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
It looks like my Goat had a single RT-524 (or RT-246) installed on the left troop seat, with the antenna on a sugar scoop mount at the left side of the front of the cargo carrier. There are three more holes over on the left side that look like half of a sugar scoop's hole pattern, but I doubt that an antenna was there. I'd guess that a plain rectangular plate might have been bolted there to seal the holes? Maybe somebody else will have a better idea. In any case, I wouldn't install two antennas at the same corner of the carrier; they would be much too close to each other.

Power would have come from one of the 3-pin Bendix connectors at the front of the cargo carrier, and the paint patterns make it look like some kind of metal cover was bolted over the cable runs along the top inside edge of the cargo carrier, on the inside.

The radio mount holes don't look quite like an MT-1029 was bolted directly to the bench, so maybe there was some sort of intermediate mounting plate?

It's not much, but I hope this helps!

(Click pictures to embiggen)

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Another option would be to make your Goat into a commo shelter carrier... ;)

BTW, I closed the deal on selling my Goat today, so now I'm looking for a Jeep or MUTT before I do something foolish like spending the money on something practical. My retirement plan is to die suddenly when I run out of money. :shock:

BillIdaho

A couple of guys in the club said the same thing, but my rigs are in parades, meets, etc, and a S250 would kinda prohibit people from seeing the radio stuff. As you think about it, owning MV's is kinda like art, in some repsects, it's to look at, so it needs to look good. I know , it sounds kinda herky.......

wa1tej

Hi Bill

I have all the gear you need in stock with the proper mounts, antenna, cables & VIC-1, all with new paint & 100% operational. Please email me direct at wa1tej@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Jack

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks