• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin Passes SB-392

undysworld

Yesterday, Gov. Jim Doyle signed SB-392 into law. It passed both the Senate and Assembly by voice votes, which means that it had sufficient bipartisan support that they did not bother to count the votes.

Here is a photo of Gov. Doyle signing it: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1080968&l=d4b94fa630&id=1039350767

This is the final version of the bill: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/acts/09enSB0392.pdf

The vehicles included under this bill may register as "collector" vehicles, meaning a one-time registration fee (no annual renewal fees!), no payload restrictions (we're exempted from the payload restriction), and no driving in January (no big deal in the land of salty winter roads).

These vehicles can also register as "parade" vehicles under the previously passed 404, but then they cannot be used to haul stuff.

Yes, I know an "approved model" list is less-than-ideal. But if that's how it has to work, OK. Next move is to add more vehicles to the approved list...

Thanks to all who helped to make this law possible.

Paul Underwood

kennys@wi.rr.com

So the stars are all comming together for me now. The auction for the truck I want ends today, my birthday is tomorrow and this law should take affect by the time my first EUC clears. I don't like not driving it in January but gotta take the good with the bad.

undysworld

John Boy,

What are you confused about? I'll try to answer as best I can.

If you'd prefer to discuss it, pm me for my phone number. I lay no claim to being the expert, but I'll share whatever info I have with you.

Paul

johnBoy

Well I'm no lawyer and there seems to be several different standards for different type MV vehicles. There are several different
changes to the bill and when I go to the Wisconsin State web site I do not see a final entire worded law.
I have a collector plate I just received about one month ago for my M35A2. Last year I had a regular Truck plate weighted
at 16,000 lbs. on my truck. Where do I stand now?

I'm not a lawyer either, if I was I would have to kick my own butt, so this is just my interpretation.
You run your existing Collector plate until the new HMV (Historic Military Vehicle) registration and plates are available, current time frame: October 2010.
When the new registration is available you will need to apply for HMV plates. Since you have Collector plates there will be no additional charges, but there will also be no refund.
This will make you legal. You can keep your Collector plates, but they can not be used for Military Vehicles.
All useage rules of SB-404 or AB-592 will apply.

Last edited:

johnBoy

So I will be able to put the collector plates on another vehicle after my M35 is registered with the new MV plate that will cost me $30.00 sometime in Oct. of 2010?
I also was wondering why were the 4 MV's plucked out from the rest and included in on one law and not the other. Why were others such as the M35 series left out? Why are some restricted and some not. I do realize that this is a start but I am confused about the process of events. I had fought to get a plate from the WI DOT since August of 2008. They would not tiltle it until I received a Title from the GREAT state of Florida in the fall of 2008. This was after contacting Senator Feingold's office. I guess he must of pulled some strings for me?? Then I had to mail in down to Madison for approval. Just some of my struggles with this mess and it is not over yet, it appears.

undysworld

JohnBoy,

I'm certainly no lawyer either, although I do know a bit about the issue.

Here is a link to Act 225, which was commonly refered to as SB-392:
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/acts/09Act225.pdf
Your (and my) M35's weren't included in this act, unfortunately, at least yet. This law only effects Pinzgauers, M-715 pickups, Humvees, and Ducks, for now.

All other ex-military vehicles, including our M35s, fall under Act 135, formerly referred to as AB-592:
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/acts/09Act135.pdf
I believe Drgreg to be correct on all accounts regarding licensing specifics. Your truck will be limited to essentially "parade-only" operations. You will no longer have the option of "truck" plates.

Out of curiosity, how do you use your truck? For parades or for utility functions?

Paul

As stated, I don't think you will be charged the $30.00 if you currently have a Collector plate.
As for the 4 select vehicles, my view is that it was basically a pissing match between the Pinz haves and the Pinz have nots.
All you can do is kick back and enjoy every transaction with the wonderful DMV.

johnBoy

Ok I did find another thread with alot of info. and with your help here I understand everything better now!
Paul I have had contact with you back in 2008 on my truck and the registration problems that I was having. I do really thank you guys for the battle you have taken up! I use it for everything, parades on the 4th of July, Percessions on Memorial Day, going to Fleet Farm shopping, driving it to work, hauling loads of steel to the recyclers, joyriding with the family.
I also use it every year at our family reunion like a hayride would be used.
People across our state, no matter where I go, hoot and holler for the truck and our troops! When I go to the Kings Veterens home in King Wi. I get saluted and old vets stand at attention!! I am proud of being a True American Man and I will not turn my back on my Country or MY Flag! GOD BLESS US ALL!!

n9udl

As for the 4 select vehicles, my view is that it was basically a pissing match between the Pinz haves and the Pinz have nots.
As has been stated elsewhere (ad nauseum), SB-392 was originally written to be inclusive of "a vehicle, including a trailer but excluding a tracked vehicle, that is at least 25 years old, was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces, and is maintained to accurately represent its military design and markings, regardless of the vehicle’s size or weight".

SB-404 used similar verbiage, less the age requirement.

After a couple of public hearings, there was a desire to merge both bills into an all-inclusive, less restrictive (than SB-404) bill. Jeff Rowsam, the main force (other than WisDOT) behind SB-404 was also in favor of this.

However, the request was shot down. The SB-404 folks were told "you get what you asked for" and that SB-392 would be made vehicle-specifc, initially just Pinzgauers, but amendments were added to include some other vehicles.

Right up until the passage of SB-404, the SB-392 camp offered to withdraw their bill if SB-404 was also withdrawn, in the hope of a better, unified effort that everyone could live with. This offer was rejected, and so we continued with SB-392 to safeguard our own operating privileges.

Tom

johnBoy

Ok this makes sense now! The history of the whole deal is clear.

"UNITED WE STAND----DIVIDED WE FALL"

It's funny how old sayings and parables can be worth something if we can just remember them when we need too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks