• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M38A1s and M606

mcafee

Here are some pics of my Jeeps. My first was a 57 CJ3b owned by the Canadian Military. Then i got hooked and picked up a 67 M38A1 CDN2 and a 53 M100 trailer. I got them finished this winter. Now I am bored and found another 67 M38A1 CDN2. They were built in the same week, there is only 19 between the two serial numbers.

So the 3B has 22000 miles original. The engine runs like a top, right up to 55mph no problem. It was sold from the army to Molsons Canada, who owned it till 1986. From there it was sold to a retired mechanic in northern Ontario. From there is was sold after his death to a farmer near Owen Sound Ontario, and I bought it from him. Mechanically, it was like brand new. Cosmetically was another story. While everything was solid and there wasn't much rust, the body was pretty rough. The back corners and rockers were beat and dented from life on the farm. A quick body job and a fresh coat of paint later and looks like new, to me atleast.

Next is the first M38A1. I bought it after I broke my ankle playing hockey. The surgeon told me I had to stay off my feet for atleast 12 weeks, so what better way to do that then wrenching on an old jeep. It was the opposite of the 3B. The body was spot on, other than a repair done by the army to the tailgate, there were no other rust issues, just minor denting etc. The mechanical was a little more work. The carb was rebuilt, gas tank resealed, new master cylinder, brake cylinders and shoes, seat covers, all fluids changed, 8 new grease fittings, all new wheel bearings, new brake lines, etc. Really it wasn't to bad though. I resprayed it and the trailer with some flat olive drab and it was good to go. On the electrical needed sorting too. All the trailer needed was a few dents knocked out and the bearings serviced. The jeep was sold off from the army in late 88, and I bought it from the first civilian owner. It has 48000 miles, and the engine was rebuilt by the army in 86, and it had 42000 miles then. The trailer was also sold off in early 88.

Now, much to my wifes dismay, I bought another M38A1 this past weekend. It has 34000 miles, and also had a rebuilt in 83. It was sold from the army in 84, and I am the 3 civi owner. The engine wasn't running last week when I bought it, but a few hours tinkering today got it going. Needs a bit of body work, brakes, and a good service, and it should be ready to roll.

Attachments

SGT FROST

Great MV Collection

I enjoy working on my M38A1 and your jeep has the look I am trying to achieve. If you would happen to know where I can purchase Metzler Jeep tires ,While on the Willys Jeep site I noticed the Canadians have the tires I would like for my jeep.If you have any n-tell on where to purchase them please let me know,Thanks SGT FROST OUT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks