• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 Coolant Leak from Head/Block

lackndt

Any advice on this one? I just put coolant into a 53 M38A1 that hasn't been run for years. There's coolant weeping out of the head to block joint at the right front of the engine. Is this a common problem? Do I need a new head gasket?

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Not it is not a common problem, and yes you either need to retorque your head bolts, or if that does not work, a head gasket, and to check flatness of both head and block while things are open. Don't forget there is one head bolt under the carb. If this is just going to be a hunting rig, you could try some of the auto parts store remedies before doing a pull down. Good luck.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you go that "auto parts remedies" look for Moroso Ceramic Seal. There are two types. One is for use with the existing coolant and the other is used with 100% water. The latter is the better product. I was never a big believer in miracle cures but tried it and it fixed a cracked head (1/2 gal per/day out the tailpipe) and a minor external head gasket leak at the same time. I got another 100,000 out of that engine with no coolant usage. I have heard the truck dealers have something good, called K/W sealer.

Bull Run

Sounds like you "may" have a cracked block or blown head gasket.

Having recently had a similar problem I would pull the head and get a visual inspection of what is wrong to play it safe. May be minor or major but leaking coolant is obviously not good.

Pretty easy job to do and you will get a definitive answer. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One other possibility is that the bolt near the leak goes through the water jacket and is leaking around the threads. You could remove, put some sealant on the threads, and re-torque. If it doesn't go through the jacket, then it sounds like a head gasket or a crack. Hope it is simple and cheap for you to fix!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Head gasket leaks on the F-134 are not uncommon. Plus it's 50 years old.

I'd check the head bolt torque and if it persists, pull it off. You can have the head off in 90 minutes.

wbrianiii

If you haven't already done it, I would just go ahead and pull the head off. It's a real easy job, and the head gasket is fairly cheap. If you don't already have hardened exhaust valves, go ahead and install them just as a matter of maintainance while you're in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks