• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Here

David_4x4

Hey, I will be receiveing my first military vehicle, which happens to be an M-135. And I'm stoked. Been collecting militaria for years, but my first vehicle.

Anyways, the vehicle seems to me in good shape. It has sat outside for a number of years. So it needs new paint, wood, tires, glass, etc. I seem to have a lot of the items located.

The problem I have is that the truck has no transmission, and hasn't had one sense the person I'm aquiring the vehicle from has had it. I understand it to be a 4 spd hydra-matic. Where can I locate this transmission?

I won't have the vehicle to house until tomorrow or later in the week, and that's the only big concern I know of right now.

Thanks a bunch and sorry for the dumb questions. And if anyone has any helpful parts websites etc, they're more than appreciated.

David

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I know where there is a complete M-211 in a North Georgia junkyard.

Where are you located? Remember to add it to your signature somewhere..........

lacoda56

Memphis Equip. used to sell rebuilds, but I think I heard they discontinued that model truck. The only other place I know of, as Derby said, is Alfa Heaven. They have a website, just make sure you spell alfa with an "f".

David_4x4

Yeah I discovered Alfaheaven. They don't have any trannies listed for sale in their website database, but I went ahead and sent an e-mail to see or maybe they could point me in a direction.

Thanks ya'll

David_4x4

Man this tranny search is leaving me stumped. What are the exact specs on this transmission? I understand it's not the only vehicle this transmission was used in. I've read it was used in dozers, tanks, etc. Could it have also been used in civilian vehicles?

Are there other places I can look besides govt. surplus outlets? Sounds like a bunch must have been made.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The model is GMC Hydra-Matic Model 302M. It has eight (8) forward speeds and two (2) reverse. It superseeds the need for a two speed transfer case. All GMC, "M" Series used them.

They are available, just have to look.

eddiec

if worst comes to worst, drop me a line. i know of a mv scrap yard that has a few there, though if you come up to get it, you would have to pull it. or if the timing was right, i could get it for you. just not much time off work to play.

David_4x4

eddiec said:
if worst comes to worst, drop me a line. i know of a mv scrap yard that has a few there, though if you come up to get it, you would have to pull it. or if the timing was right, i could get it for you. just not much time off work to play.
Does this particular yard these parts for sale and ship them? Or strictly pick and pull yourself? :(

I like you, unfortunately have zero time being a college student and office work etc. I'd love to road trip to IN to do my own pick and pull, but time wouldn't allow unfortunately with that far of a journey.:cry:

derby

HI,are you still looking for a trans?There is a (what looks like )GMC 6x6 in Michigan for sale.I dont know anything about it ,it is in a trader mag.says (army truck 6wd,heavy drive train,no motor $400 OBO twining Mi.989-867-4309) www.autorv.com in the sport utility section, maybee they have what you need.good luck

David_4x4

derby said:
HI,are you still looking for a trans?There is a (what looks like )GMC 6x6 in Michigan for sale.I dont know anything about it ,it is in a trader mag.says (army truck 6wd,heavy drive train,no motor $400 OBO twining Mi.989-867-4309) www.autorv.com in the sport utility section, maybee they have what you need.good luck
Yup still looking.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give'em a call tomorrow and see what they say.

JRBAMATEX

Call Memphis equipment and ask to speak with John at the parts counter. He likely will not have the tranny you are looking for but you need to get to know him and get into the computer there. Go ahead and order at least six pinion seals for your input and output drive shaft connections to the differentials. Trust me... you're going to need them. (Don't worry they are not very expensive) Ask John for some guidance on where you might find the tranny. Next call Alfa Haven. The old man there KNOW's stuff about our trucks and will have a line on where to start looking for the tranny. What I have found is that you have to call these parts houses. They don't really do e-mail. They just have web sites because WE do e-mail. They are all nice guys and are willing to work with you. Stay on top of the Steel Soldiers postings and you will quickly find out who NOT to deal with. Welcome aboard and good luck with the Jimmy...

Tom @ Snake River

How about a manual ?

Give BOYCE a call and see if they have any take out manual conversions still. 1-800-748-4269. My neighbor has two of them here. I rebuilt my auto trans, but what a pain. I have run my M-135 now for at least 10 years. Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks