• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sandblasting & CARC paint, Dangers...?

silveradohd39

Hello all,
I have a light duty gravity fed sandblaster that says its capable of using almost any type of blasting media. I would like to experiment with using this to sand various parts on my Deuce, and possibly the whole truck depending on how it works out. But I have heard a lot about Silicosis, and how CARC paint is very hazardous. So first off: can you get away with using a different type of media for the sandblaster such as glass beads, that wont emit Silica into the air? I was planning on using a higher end 3m double filter mask (non pressurized). As Far as the carc paint goes, where does the danger lye in this: containing led?, body contact with it? Inhalation? Any safety/environment friendly info would be greatly appreciated before I tackle this project.
Thomas

dcwilkie

No matter what kind of media you use, there will be small particles of CARC in the air. From what I've read, inhalation is the killer here. If it were me I'd use this:

Hobby air, pro air, Fresh air respirator, SUPPLIED AIR RESPIRATOR, Axis, Citation, 3M, Bill Hirsch car care.

To be honest, I would smooth out the CARC and paint right over it if you have no rust problems to speak of.
You also need to take the neighbors into consideration when removing this stuff. That requires you to have either a negative pressure building or an excellent spray booth filtration system to take these nasties out.

There may be someone on here willing to rent out theoir forced air respirator or hood.
Whatever you do, be careful!

WeBeJeepin

We have a couple of SERIOUS sandblasters at work, and it took a very long time to get through the old paint on my 715. I really feel for anybody trying to use anything smaller.

Attachments

silveradohd39

Does the CARC paint contain led? I was thinking of doing small parts off the truck in my backyard, then taking the truck somewhere to have it professionally done. Also are supplied air respirators a must when sandblasting? A good 3m full filter mask wont work?
Thanks for the responses guys.

Nonotagain

Does the CARC paint contain led? I was thinking of doing small parts off the truck in my backyard, then taking the truck somewhere to have it professionally done. Also are supplied air respirators a must when sandblasting? A good 3m full filter mask wont work?
CARC does not contain LEAD, however the primer under it might depending on what color the primer is.

White, gray, or yellow, shouldn't contain lead, red does.

Supplied air respirators aren't required for sandblasting.

dcwilkie

It's not the sandblasting media that's the problem. It's the CARC and the fact some of it gets crushed to powder as you sandblast. Don't wanna' breathe that!
I'm no authority. A really good repirator (half face or full) with the organic/ paint cartridges (usually yellow and magenta in color) will probably do the trick. There's no way in he// I'd just use a dust mask. :shock:

Katahdin

namedpipes

Some auto restorers use "hot tanking" where the entire vehicle is soaked in a vat of acid that eats away paint, rust, etc. Sometimes it turns out the car is mostly rust, but thats another story.

I imagine it would be hard to find such a tank to take an entire Deuce in one piece but any body part short of the bed should be fine.

Would this remove the CARC or would it laugh in the face of the acid?

Nonotagain

It's not the sandblasting media that's the problem. It's the CARC and the fact some of it gets crushed to powder as you sandblast. Don't wanna' breathe that!
I'm no authority. A really good repirator (half face or full) with the organic/ paint cartridges (usually yellow and magenta in color) will probably do the trick. There's no way in he// I'd just use a dust mask. :shock:
Cured CARC paint is no more hazardous than any other type of automotive paint.

Check out the CAS numbers for the hazard recognition for the paints.

CARC contains some heavy metals and reacted isocynates. Typical automotive enamel paint also contains heavy metals, just no isocynates.

The usual precautions pertain to any paint being removed. No eating, drinking or smoking in the area of removal. Wash your hands before consuming food or drink. Keep small children and animals out of the area, and clean up and contain the debris for proper disposal per your local requirements.

Any respirator rated for organic vapors with a pre filter will do the trick.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a couple of SERIOUS sandblasters at work, and it took a very long time to get through the old paint on my 715. I really feel for anybody trying to use anything smaller.
What size compressor did you use. I have an Airman 185 and hope that is enough.

stumps

Cured CARC paint is no more hazardous than any other pigmented paint. The only component in it that could cause problems is silica, which flattens the paint (eg. makes it not glossy). Silica is sand.... Ordinary beach sand.... If it is fine enough, it can cause silicosis if you breath it.

CARC is a urethane paint, and when it is in the uncured state it contains isocyanates, which can cause serious respiratory problems in some people. There is a tendency to become sensitized to isocyanates after repeated exposure. No organic cartridge filter will stop all of the isocyanates from reaching the user. If you have not become sensitized, the filter will help you avoid sensitization. If you are already sensitized, you will go into respiratory distress... like asthma... even with the filter.

Two part water based CARC paints contain less volatile components than solvent based CARC. As a result, the water based CARC paints put less isocyanates into the air than do the solvent based CARC.

-Chuck

jimmcld

I think you'll find that sandblasting, especially with a small gravity fed rig, will take longer than you have on this planet. A needle scaller will do a much quicker and better job.

davidkroberts

you might want to do a search on here about aircraft stripper. it seems to work wonders on CARC. Ive never used it myself so i dont have first-hand-knowledge but it might be worth a look.

WeBeJeepin

What size compressor did you use. I have an Airman 185 and hope that is enough.
Yes we have a couple of Atlas Copco 185cfm compressors and that is all we use for blasting. Its funny that you mention that, because today I had one of our men working on my sister's CJ5 and he said "This ain't near as bad as that military truck of yours that we sandblasted!"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks