• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Trailer pickup question??

Hawkshaw

I purchased a M105 1 1/2 trailer at Redstone. My deuce is down having the brake system reworked (wheel cylinders, etc.). I have a F250 truck with a pintle hitch in the receiver. Will this be adequate to bring the trailer home or will I need a bigger truck? Thanks for the help.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can pull the M105 but will have no brakes....no prob for an F250 unless there is a big load in the trailer.

I pulled a Mobile Kitchen Trailer from Knoxville to Alabama with my son's F250 and had no prob.

You will need a pintle hitch to go in your receiver...you can get them at Tractor Supply or auto parts houses.

Hawkshaw

Thanks Wreckerman, I have a pintle coming for my receiver hitch, from the other pics it looks like the tail end will be a little up in the air. But from Redstone to where I am going is only about 50 miles so it will not be bad. I will not be trying to win any races either. So hopefully Murphy will stay at home and not bother me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be aware that you will have 2700# behind you with no brakes. Don't forget towing lights and you should be fine.

jimm1009

If it has a tarp take it off and put it in the truck and this will help tremendously with rear vision and wind resistance. Taking the side and end boards will also help too.
If you can get it loose the lunette ring can be flipped upside down using a 1 1/2 inch (1.5 inch) box end wrench and this will lift your trailer 4 inches at the tongue.
Simething that I did twice that I really like is that I took the tail gate off and threw it up in the bed and tied it down. I put the magnetic lights in the bed within an inch of two from the rear edge. This also helps a lot with wind resistance as well as the tail is higher and you are trying to tow a sugar scoop down the road with the tail gat in place and thr trailer not level.
One person can pull the tailgate by himself by removing the two outer pins and then the center ones. That last one is important to use a punch on so the the tailgate does not actualy fall clear to the ground, aka mash the cr*p out of your foot. Tailgates are not heavy so you can load it by yourself too.
If the GL site has a forklift this will help in hooking it up to your truck.
Generally the GL people will pick the tongue up and then you can raise the landing gear and then they will set it down on your pintle hook.
If you have to do it by yourself you can put 7 to 8 cinder blocks in the tail end of the trailer and it becomes almost perfectly balanced.
I ouwld get it out the gate and then jack a wheel up at a time just to spin the wheels and listen for a dry / galled bearing but normally they are o.k.
jimm1009

6X6 ALL THE WAY

Pulled one of mine with a 1998.5 dodge 3/4 ton. didn't know it was there. Pulled fine when doin 70-80 mph. Yes I know they weren't made to go that fast but checked the hubs couple times and they never got hot. Pulled it little over 100 miles

Attachments

ah1955

I had my brother pull my 105 out of Letterkenny with his F350 which had no problem at all with it, that is a pretty beefy pick-up with a power stroke and 4wheel disc brakes, going and stopping was not a big deal. We used magnetic lights that my inlaws use on there car when there tow behind there motorhome, just stick them on the back and plug in to tow vehicle.We only went about 10 miles to the trucling co. where the duece was on a lowboy, then loaded the 105 in the duece for the 80 mi;le trip home.The only thing that I would have really worried about is what would happen if you would blow a tire, as Kenny pointed out that is alot of weight you are pulling and sits high, if you would have a tire issue even at a resonable speed you could get throwen around like a ragdoll in a pitbulls mouth. Even with the best of tires( and how many have the best of on) anything could happen, and speed would only magnafiy the effect. Just my though about towing some thing that weights almost as much as the tow vehicle.

Attachments

6X6 ALL THE WAY

The tires on my 105 were brand new. They are now on the front of my m35. I've put about 2,000 miles on them since and haven't had any problems. I got lucky as there were the best thing on it

davidkroberts

by the way... the guys did tell you that bringing a camera and taking pics for the board is helpful....

you shouldnt have any problems, im not sure how much experience you have had with GL but redstone requires 24 hrs notice to get on the base unless you have a CAC card/base sticker. i usually bring a copy of the listing photos that have the lot number on them in case there is a mix up.

good luck, dont worry so much lots of guys have towed back m105's here with allot less vehicle than you are bringing. one the magnetic lights you might want to secure them to the back with zipties or string. mine walked off and broke the light on a recovery i did. trailers wiggle allot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks