• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2010 haspin food

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds pretty good so far. For those of us showing up Thursday sometime, is it still $45? No biggie if it is, I'm just curious. I don't think you can eat 3 meals a day at a restaurant for that kind of money :-D

I'll let you know about the food after I talk to some folks.

CGarbee

What I came up with a few moments ago before I looked here and saw that Stretch had been busy:

Wednesday
Supper – Spaghetti with sauce(s), salad, garlic bread

Thursday
Breakfast – Eggs, bacon, grits
Lunch –Hot dogs, chips
Supper – Chicken and Rice (w/celery, onions, carrots).

Friday
Breakfast – Eggs, sausage, cooked apples
Lunch – Burgers., chips
Supper – Low Country Boil (corn, potatoes, shrimp, kielbasa)

Saturday
Breakfast – Pancakes, bacon, eggs
Lunch – Hot dogs/Burgers, chips.
Supper –Eastern NC Style BBQ (pork), boiled potatoes, string beans, slaw, rolls.

Sunday
Breakfast – Danish

A couple of folks have asked that I add some middle eastern salads/dips, etc. I can, but it would bring up the total costs. It might just be better if folks came with such items on thier own (and shared or hoarded, depending...).
I know that at least one person could not handle shelfish last year, so I could change up the low county boil to something else, or I could do a "special" for that person (this goes for just about all the meals, keeping in mind that I am not going to be doing a "special" for everyone every meal...).

So, post up your thoughts/concerns or suggestions for something different.

Assuming that everyone thinks that this is a doable menu, I'll hammer down the costs this weekend. The $45/person is pretty firm unless we start adding stuff to the menu, or go wild and have steaks or somesuch.

I can work with you on price if you just come down for Friday /Saturday, but I really don't want to do pricing on a sliding scale with folks comming and going. It gets confusing for me to keep track of who is eating/who has paid, etc.

I have plenty of tea, offers from others to assist with the supply of tea/lemonaide is greatly appreciated. I'll have the coffee pot on in the MKT as well, but same comment about assistance...

Last edited:

CGarbee

Forgot to say that, just as last year, I'll need a bunch of folks to opt in on this or it doesn't make sense for me to haul out the gear and cook.... I also need a rough body count by May 31st so I can place some food orders.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westy,

Since the shrimp needs to be cooked last (so it is not rubbery), Cabell should be able to scoop some of the other fixings out before putting them in. Maybe those who are allergic should volunteer as KP's for that meal, so they can get theirs dipped out early!

Westech

CPL
well I am sure it will be worked out. We have been in contact with the powers that be. We are just trying to make it the best we can for everyone. As KP (that's Kitchen police for you civys) there will be a KP sign up sheet so a couple of us can help out at every meal. Last year we did not do that and it was a lot of work and we need to make sure the "cooks" get trail time too. SO we will all do our part.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself and DHW will be interesrted in joining in for the meals.

Last years was great.

I Love the pork bbq, Cabel really knows how to handle a pork butt.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cabel,

I'm in for one whether I can eat it or not. (I'm in the main Haspin thread as well so don't count me twice.)

:)

thx
steve

CGarbee

I suspect that I will cook the shrimp seperately, not exactly the same tast, but I don't think it will make a huge difference, and it will be easier than jugling the pot/timing to pull some out and then do the shimp the big pot.

Westy's wife has voluntered to do some of her WI style mashed potatoes on BBQ night.

I'm at the farm in VA this week for the annual Bluegrass Festival, so I have no cell phone access and very limited internet access, but I'll check in on the count Monday and will be loading the truck (and MKT) for the trip out on Tuesday.

Thanks for the assistance in organizing a KP list, it will be a major help.

As for kids... how about 1/2 price for the 12 and under crowd?

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks