• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mule tires

ygmir

Hi all,
I'm looking to put new tires on my "new" M274 .
Anyone got suggestions?
and/or, good places to get them?

Thanks,
Ygmir

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bill Watson is the bomb, I prefer dealing with him.

Home <--website
Tire (New) <--tires themselves

I doubt you will find a much better deal anywhere. I should add that everyone is selling the same tire from the same manufacturer, so whoever has it cheaper is your best bet. I believe I saw some on ebay the other day, but I think they were about the same price.

This is assuming you want stock tires.

The tires Watson is selling are what's on my mule.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

I just ordered some parts from Bill Watson, not trying to sound like a broken record, but the service is great. The man knows mules.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

ygmir

I'm going to try "floating" across some pretty soft sand......am thinking of lower, wider......
any thoughts?
I wonder, if, I could make a "dual" setup for this?
Just trying to get floatation.......

poof

Dirty Hippie
HMMM. I run 25x11x10 ATV tires on my stock narrow rims.. and it dose very well in the pasture in standing water with mud to loose a boot in.. you could buy some wide rims and tires that were used on the Mule with a TOW weapons system..
you can scope out my tires in the link to pictures below...

:beer:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll have to look at mine when I get home, I don't remember their load rating.

asgtoolman

I know its a late post, but the load rating is 1/2 ton [the only military vehicle that can carry more than it weighs] Vehicle weight 800-850 pounds

emr

Just a note too, the tires in the pic on the first page are not correct M274 tires, the correct tires are wider and have alot less tread, this releaves alot of stress on all the steering parts for sure, there traction is so good one really needs to corner easily and safely to not wear out parts before there time,the reason they came up with the easier to slide in a turn is just that, premature wear from to much traction. I also have those tires but again for sand and wear of parts find the correct tires, :) my 3 cents.

oddave715

I have seen active duty pics of mules with tires that had the tread with square shoulders. So I would say they are correct. I wonder if they did start to use the style with less tread later on due to wear and/or breakage problems.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Square shouldered ones are the NDT's. Rounded ones are the NDCC which came later. The deuces also did this, NDT's were on the early trucks. Look at the pics of the trucks in the 50's.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
hard to find NOS tires but i have 4 for mine!!!! havent used em just let .... with new tubes now for my 2 cent's rounded tires are the military standerd for the mules any tires with tick thred is a no no (like repros) like most tires you find now. Now this is because mule tires spin even if there off the ground for if 1 tires grabs a rock or something and the other tire spining lands back down it could crack gears in that axle if it has a tick thred.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks