• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need a measurement from a M38

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the distance in inches between the outside of the tires on the front axle of the M38? Looking into a small BBQ project on this end, want it to look kinda like a flat fender jeep.

Hey, the first part of my screen name is "mad". And not as in angry.

papercu

I don't have one but I do have a TM. Maybe that will help some.
According to TM 9-804 September 1950
Wheelbase 80 inches (ain't it great for a manual to be in inches!)
Length overall 132 and 15/16 inches
Width overall (min) 62 inches
Hight overall (max) 67 and a 1/4 inch
Tread front 49 and a 1/8 inch
Tread rear 49 and 3/16 inch
About 2 pounds BBQ will do. Wayne

Paladin6

Mike,
I checked out the M38 - the vehicle data plate shows that dimension as 57" - also measured front of the M38 with tape measure - and sure enough it's 57" from outside of tire to outside of tire. Hope that's what you needed.
Take care and good luck with your project.
Jeff

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, guys. I decided that this pump trailer on this end is probably going to be turned into a mobile BBQ grill, the motor is locked up and the pump parts itself aren't that great a condition. It is a rare trailer, but there are better pump trailers out there for enthusiasts to own if they want one. I got the idea of taking some beater Willys parts, from CJ2/3s, or M38 etc., and making a BBQ that looks kinda like the front end of a jeep. Open the hood, and flip the burgers, and put the hood back down. :) The wheelbase I needed, just to see if it would look right, since it uses M38 rims and tires.

I would be a neat project for next winter, I guess....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks