• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help no power on the Deuce.

ida34

The other day while driving I noticed all electrical power went out. I get good voltage at the batteries and at the starter. I also get power to the magnetic solenoid. No power to the main power switch though. The schematic has me a little confused. Looking at it I think the wires 10 or 11 should provide the power to the main switch. Is this right? Does anyone have any ideas on the problem here?

Thanks
Chuck

Deuceswild

Hi Chuck,
Have you tested your batteries with a load bank?, the reason I ask is I had a similar problem with mine, I checked voltage with a regular analog volt meter and both looked good but when I applied a voltage load to one of the batteries it fell flat on its face.
If the batteries pass the test check the connections of the batt. cables were they go in the clamps.
Good luck,
Jeff.

ida34

Jeff,
All cables and clamps are fine. The main switch is not getting any power and it went from starting fine to no electrical power inside of 4 minutes. It is not a bad battery problem or a cable or connection problem near the batteries. Even the connection at the starter is just fine. I do have a load tester and the batteries are just fine. Thanks for the help.

Chuck

Deuceswild

Chuck,
Have you checked for a current draw? disconnect the NEG Cable and put a test light between the Neg Post and the Neg Batt Cable. With the master switch off, there should be no voltage present.
Jeff.

ida34

Jeff,
The batteries are fully charged. They are not being drawn down. The problem is I can't get a current draw. There is no power going to the master switch to energize the magnetic solenoid. I need to track down to see where the break is that is not allowing the master switch to get power. I also need to double check the magnetic solenoid to make sure it is actually working also. I only had a few minutes to check it this morning. I hope to work on it again tomorrow. I will post what it is tomorrow.

Thanks
Chuck

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power is suplied to your accessory and lamp (3-lever) switches via the "horn circuit breaker", wire #10/#11.
When you first turn on the accessory switch, does the in-tank fuel pump run? If not, then check the connections on the horn CB.
It is located on the firewall near the steering column (engine side). Wires should be clearly marked.

ida34

The power went out after using the horn so that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the location of the Horn CB as it seems power is going toward the accessory switch and lamp switch but there is no power at either connection and this and the heater seem to be the only connections between the mag solenoid and the switch.

Thanks
Chuck

ida34

Thanks to Bjorn for letting me in on the placement of the Horn CB. After checking for power there I found nothing again. I then traced the wire bundle back toward the magnetic solenoid and found that the 10 wire had rubbed against the engine lift bracket until it cut it in two. A couple of the other wires were getting thin and it looked like a GI had fixed a couple of them by just twisting and taping. I soldered in patches. I was going to use copper wire until I saw that it looked like the present wires were aluminum. I then used some spare wiring Bjorn sold me. Glad I had it. I also figured out my intermittent horn problem as the 10 wire going into the horn CB was damaged. The Packard connector was damaged so I replaced it with one from the spare wiring. I also put in my new pushbutton light switch and installed my new solargizer. Then the sky went black so I came inside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks