• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'New' GL policy...

L999here

My EUC sent to BC on 29 Mar...still waiting after 60+ days. Called GL in AZ and spoke with Sylvia to find out if they were cancelling any EUC's or revokeing sales because of a 'time' limit. Last word....THEY ARE NOT CANCELLING ANY SALES and are allowing BC to go ahead with all EUC's....as of I May 2010. This should be good news....as they are apparently realizing that the economy is sh** and they better get as much as they can while they still can. Just keep your fingers crossed and wait it out...been almost 100 days since sale 5025 closed on 25 Feb and they took my money on 28 Feb.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know if that's good or bad news. I've been waiting a long time on sale 5068 and I'm getting to the point that I wish they would just cancel the sale and give me my money back. If it stays a year at BC are they going to hold your money that long?

marcinsandpoint

are you all first time buyers?? if so it always takes a long time... 100 days .....well that is a bit much but once you get the first one it takes lees then 10 days if not Just 5 days...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I suggest again, you have a few key folks you can complain to to make things move. Contact your senator and/or congressman by writing a fact based, well worded, calm letter.

If the complaint is against GL, then you should state they are a 'contracted agent of the Defense Logistics Agency' and I would suggest obtaining the contracting officer representative for the GL contract through a freedom of information act request.

GL could care less about you but when the COR gets enough complaints and/or has to answer even one congressional, they can apply pressure on GL to clean up their customer service.

As for EUCs at battle creek itself, that is DLA, a government agency, and a congressional can get them off the stick very quickly.

I caution this is not something to use after a week or two but 100 days seems a little excessive to me on something like a standard cargo trailer or deuce. If you bought a bunch of radios or something like that (if you could) then that's different.

I got fed up after 45 days dealing with an SF97 screwup by GL and contacted my congresswoman and within a week, had my SF97 in hand. God knows how much longer that would have kept screwing me around or if contacting my congresswoman helped at all. All I know was a week later I had the SF97 and do belive it got them moving.

lilymonster

GL is a horrible, corrupt organization and the whole system is horrible. I predict they will lose their contract due to unethical business practices. They are a greedy, inefficient organization and justice will be served to them one daY. From what I have seen in dealing with them over the past six months, there are some major issues with how they do things. I am tempted to talk to some of my buddies who are lawyers and explain the whole thing to them and see if they can figure out a class action law suit or something. I don't personally want to sue them, b/c I'm not that type of person, but I think that if lawyers examined how they conduct business, there would be enough there for them to get a law suit going of some sort. Its so sad that the gov't has a large, organized entity (GSA) for liquidating gov't property and yet they outsource the drmo process to these FOOLS.

jeep-Jeep

the last truck I bought only took a few days .
They have implicated a expedited process .
Bid Thursday and picked up the next Thursday.
It must be a background problem .

nhdiesel

No. I buy EUC items all the time and they usually take about 10 days max.
Not always. The two Deuces I bought last fall were my #5 and #6 purchases through GL, all requiring EUCs. One truck took around 60 days, the other roughly 45. USUALLY repeat buyers are quicker, but not always.

Jim

marcinsandpoint

GL is a horrible, corrupt organization and the whole system is horrible. I predict they will lose their contract due to unethical business practices. They are a greedy, inefficient organization and justice will be served to them one daY. From what I have seen in dealing with them over the past six months, there are some major issues with how they do things. I am tempted to talk to some of my buddies who are lawyers and explain the whole thing to them and see if they can figure out a class action law suit or something. I don't personally want to sue them, b/c I'm not that type of person, but I think that if lawyers examined how they conduct business, there would be enough there for them to get a law suit going of some sort. Its so sad that the gov't has a large, organized entity (GSA) for liquidating gov't property and yet they outsource the drmo process to these FOOLS.

well i know how you feel........ but if you go with it, it works out in the long run and we get are toys...

but im not sure if you know but GL is the government more or less... so you would be going up against the government... only one person wines there aua and we all now who that is... god bless america and the country we defend....

good luck to you if you do...im always up for a good fight but drink beer its more fun :beer:

nhdiesel

Hey, I hate dealing with GL as much, or more, than the next guy. But keep a few things in mind. They are a huge organization which, although private, is essentially tied to the govt. Good luck going up against them and actually getting anywhere.

Next, keep in mind that the very reason we manage to get many of our toys so cheap from them is BECAUSE their process is such a pain. Not many people want to deal with all of the B.S. Even I am tempted not to buy from them any more, after dealing with all the crap last fall. But that keeps prices relatively low. If the buying process was as easy as buying off ebay, prices would go through the roof because everyone would try to buy their toys directly.

If I had to narrow down a few key areas that really need to be dealt with, in my opinion it would be the EUC approval process (specifically the waits at BC, and how they always seem to screw up the paperwork, lose paperwork, etc.); and the inconsistency of people and procedures at the yards. I've been lucky and have only seen either helpful, friendly employees; or ones that just don't care and point you at your lot, and leave you alone. But I've seen way too many examples of damaged lots and just plain unfriendly or stupid employees who do more harm than good.

Jim

marcinsandpoint

Hey, I hate dealing with GL as much, or more, than the next guy. But keep a few things in mind. They are a huge organization which, although private, is essentially tied to the govt. Good luck going up against them and actually getting anywhere.

Next, keep in mind that the very reason we manage to get many of our toys so cheap from them is BECAUSE their process is such a pain. Not many people want to deal with all of the B.S. Even I am tempted not to buy from them any more, after dealing with all the crap last fall. But that keeps prices relatively low. If the buying process was as easy as buying off ebay, prices would go through the roof because everyone would try to buy their toys directly.

If I had to narrow down a few key areas that really need to be dealt with, in my opinion it would be the EUC approval process (specifically the waits at BC, and how they always seem to screw up the paperwork, lose paperwork, etc.); and the inconsistency of people and procedures at the yards. I've been lucky and have only seen either helpful, friendly employees; or ones that just don't care and point you at your lot, and leave you alone. But I've seen way too many examples of damaged lots and just plain unfriendly or stupid employees who do more harm than good.

Jim

:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

could not have said it better my self....

lilymonster

yeah, right...a background problem.

Here's the deal....

As much as GL wants you to believe, they are NOT the government and actually a for profit private company, which I'm sure most of you know. I think the way they present themselves on the internet, etc. and their marketing makes that fact somewhat ambiguous. Which I think is shady.... but that's besides the point....

I think they are out for one thing...to make a big profit, take advantge of the inefficient nature of the whole process and be a typical gov't contractor...lazy, predatory, and greedy. They loooove the sand in the gears, in fact they thrive on it.

It allows them to increase the profitability of what they do, increase the size of their organization, have greater control over the process, etc. They love the ambiguity they can use when listing stuff.... "unknown condition". "no key". This is all Bullsh*t! They know whether the darn thing runs or not! They just want prey on the sight unseen nature and sell a poor sap like us a dream. The thing is a pile of garage that has been sitting for years and was left for dead by the military. Just say that! But if they don't say it, it will sell for more and they will make MORE MONEY (keep in mind 10% buy fee).

Also, Why is it that they can collect our money before we are able to receive the property? What do they do with this money? Do they actually ENJOY the long waiting periods before the EUC's clear b/c of the float/juice on the large sums of the money that are in limbo? I bet they do.

My other question is this: If you go to a GSA auction to buy a CUCV M1009/1008/1010/1031, etc you can literally be Sadam Hussein and step right up, buy a CUCV, pay for it with cash and drive away THAT MINUTE in your new CUCV with your cert to obtain title in hand! NO EUC, NO statement of intent, NO background check, NO NOTHING. OH and the best part!: NO FEES!!!!!!!

Yes, that is correct, GSA never has and never will charge a fee! And they do all paperwork ON SITE! Battlecreek? EUC? Forget it!

Now, you may state that GSA doesn't typically sell very many military trucks-- this is true... they mostly sell the normal gov't fleet cars, etc. BUT- over the past few years they have sold THOUSANDS of CUCV's. Especially in 2009. And although they aren't selling as many right now, they are continuing to sell some.

One of the last comments made on this thread was "this keeps the prices down". It DOES? Bullsh*t! I think think the stuff isn't cheap at all on G.L. I think they get top dollar. Everyone and there brother is on there. You should have been buying military trucks before the internet if you like deals-- Talk about cheap!. And no, there was no fees or waiting process. Now literally any moron at his day job in the comfort of his own cubical can click his mouse and buy a truck! Before you had to do a lot more logistical work including travel to the site where the property was located for the auction. The fact is the "barriers to entry" have never been lower than they are now, and the prices have never been higher.

More about the GSA auctions...Having gone to these auctions for 10 years, I can tell you.... ANY used car dealer who is registered with the big auction houses (Manheim, Rawls, Adesa, etc) can buy military trucks and or other vehicles that are being sold by the US gov't. (believe me, there ARE and people with "unverified backgrounds" who are used car wholesalers/dealers). Let alone the random individuals who show up to buy.

Go to an auction sometime...you will think you are in the international terminal at LAX.... The foreign languages being spoken (and yelled into cell phones) and the sharp stench of the body odor of the unbathen foreigeners will make your head spin! You could get off the plane from god knows where and literally the next week be at a GSA auction stocking up on freshly de-militarized, fully intact M1031's!!!

They don't care if you are Johnny Appleseed or Osama bid Laden.

I don't understand why when you guy a CUCV through GL, they put you though this ridiculous process with these obsurd waiting times when military trucks are being sold through GSA to individuals and dealers with NO verification or checking of ANY kind!

Why the DOUBLE STANDARD! Either the US gov't cares who is buying the CUCV's OR they DON'T! Which is it!?

No, better question...WHY DO WE PUT UP WITH IT! It is completely unacceptable.

At one GSA sale, I bought an M1008 and the lady at the auction said "you can have it in anyone's name you want. what name do you want on the SF97". I felt like saying "Mohammad Ata" just to see if she would do it.

I think you guys understand my point. Yet like lemmings we play the game with G.L., line their pockets, and accept this stupid process.

Why do they CARE who is buying some stupid rusty old trailer, canvas tarps, or a slow, obsolete harmless chevrolet blazer anyway? I know the gov't "doesn't want our military equipment ever getting into the wrong hands" but their process is flawed b/c such a huge quantity of trucks were sold at public/dealer auctions to GOD KNOWS WHO over the last few years.

I think we should form a group to petition the gov't to do away with the double standard and inconsistencies involved in the sale of military trucks and equipment.

Or to just protest the scam that G.L. is.

I'm not going to write a letter to my congress woman to get my EUC's passed.

I'm going to write one explaining how things currently are and why it is NOT in the best interest of our government or the public. And maybe that will be the first step that I can make towards fixing this broken system.

nhdiesel

Well to touch on a few of your points:

Prices: From what I have seen, a typical half-decent Deuce on GSA is in the neighborhood of $4k-$6k, which is basically average to high market value. If you buy a decent Deuce through GL, you got ripped off if you paid over $1500 (such as i did when I paid $1600 for my first one). The one in my avatar, as pictured, was $1010.

Vehicle condition statement: I agree GL could be better about that. But don't say that they know the condition of these vehicles. The vehicles were either driven or hauled to the GL location and parked by one group of people. Then some office worker from GL grabs a camera and walks out to get the descriptions. If you happen to catch someone who has a clue, they might attempt to start them. If you happen to catch the office secretary, she walks over and makes a couple notes and moves on. Even if they attempted to start them and failed, often times its just a dead battery...something else the office worker has no clue about. They aren't going to invest a bunch of time going through these trucks, which usually sell for $1k, which leaves $100 for GL.

GL ties to the govt: Yes, its a private entity. But you better believe they line plenty of pockets in order to keep doing what they are doing. They also make a ton of money...you said that yourself. Do you think it would be effective to try to drag them into court? They won't bat an eye at spending millions in a major court battle if they had to. Do YOU have millions?

And one last point to bring up, which i hadn't mentioned before...but it has been brought up in past posts on this subject. Just consider for a moment what the outcome could be if the boat gets rocked too hard. Right now we have Deuces that get hauled hundreds, sometimes thousands of miles to the GL location. By the time it gets sold the govt. has money tied up into this thing. That very same Deuce usually gets sold for the neighborhood of $1000. Right now I can get $1300 out of one for scrap metal. Go ahead and rock the boat, and see how long it takes for Uncle Sam to figure out its easier and more profitable to just scrap this stuff. I use a Deuce as an example, but it works for anything. I've seen several pallets of cold weather boots sell for $75 before the new $150 minimum bid. I paid $67 each for my M105 trailers.

Don't take this as me sticking up for GL at all. I just look at them as the lesser of two evils.

lilymonster

Ok, so we both agree prices are high.

On condition.... THere is no excuse for laziness. GSA does better condition reports than G.L. and they are getting ZERO FEE. GSA at least states when something is blatantly wrong. The reason G.L. doesnt state anything about the vehicle other than "unknown..." on G.L. is to ENSURE they get that $100! Think of this... the pay someone decent/experienced $20/hr to do reports. Each report takes 15 minutes. You can learn a LOT about a vehicle in 15 minutes. That's FIVE BUCKS! They won't spend FIVE BUCKS to be fair with the public and offer more disclosure about what they are getting. What a crock.

Your comment about having millions.... No I don't. But, what I do know is that G.L. DOES have millions in their coffers. And I also know a lot of lawyers who aren't as busy as they once were since the economy isn't as good. And if they realize they have a case, they will put in the time with the expectation that there will be a large payout if the suit is successful. This is the nature of a class-action law suit.... lawyers get some of the pot when the suit is won. No one specifically is paying them by the hour. The fact that G.L. has millions is the whole reason the lawyers will be interested in this case in the first place! Hellooo!!!!

Additionally, with the gov't coming under increasing pressure to eliminate inefficiency and reduce spending, a judge will look GREAT awarding a judgement to the side who is against the greedy gov't contractor.

The "boat getting rocked" will do nothing but help you. A decent deuce brings $3500-$5500 on G.L. Scrap value you state is $1300. The way they are doing it now, the government is spending money shipping these vehicle and also paying G.L. to sell them. So assume $1000 to ship a deuce 900 miles, plus the $500 G.L. gets. And that is assuming they don't change the gov't anything! They may charge them a percentage too, who knows.

If GSA just lists the vehicle at the point where it sits, they are already up by at least $1500. We can then buy the vehicle with NO fees or stupid G.L. antics. So figure that same deuce sells for $2500-$4500 instead of $3500-$4500. So they are still getting more than scrap value and we are getting a better price. And the gov't can create more jobs, and spend less, and ensure more fairness.

How can you beat that!

nhdiesel

$3500-$500 for a Deuce on GL??? What have you been smoking? Maybe an A3 in really nice condition! If you reread my post, you'll see I paid just about $1000 last fall for the very nice A2 I bought, and most in that lot sold for the same. In fact, most A2s sell for around $1000-$1500, maybe closer to $2k if they have a winch, good canvas, etc. There have been a few high prices for A2s lately, just because there have been less of them. Thats also why the past prices you named were so low. When they used to sell them 100 at a time, prices were lower...and inflation has increased since then.

You stated that by them not being accurate in the description, GL makes more. Isn't that kind of backwards? People don't pay nearly as much for a "running condition unknown" or "won't start" as they will for a known runner. GL is just screwing themselves and the govt. by not doing their homework.

Its really simple...if you don't like how GL does things, just don't buy through them. When they pissed me off last fall I vowed not to buy from them again, and I may not. But if I want another Deuce, it will end up being through GL, as I'd rather pay $1200 than $5k in the private market.

Jim

Last edited:

lilymonster

Recently many A2's have been selling above $3k and I have seen many cleaner ones up to $5k+. And my point is, saying "unknown" is actually better than saying "left for dead" or "engine seized" or "canabalized" or "lot damaged" etc. Generally, they only state known positives, not negatives. They know we are enthusiasts of these vehicles and that we believe we are getting it fresh off military use. Of course we are taking a risk, but that the gov't takes good care of things and most likely it will be a solid piece of property. As citizens, it is our right to have a genuine and fair transaction on retired US government property that we are buying sight unseen. I feel G.L. takes advantage of the nature of the process. Not disclosing damage that is KNOWN is not ethical and should not be tolerated.

If the people at GSA who get nothing for the sale can do a decent and fair report, G.L should be held to the same standards.

nhdiesel

Generally, they only state known positives, not negatives. They know we are enthusiasts of these vehicles and that we believe we are getting it fresh off military use. Of course we are taking a risk, but that the gov't takes good care of things and most likely it will be a solid piece of property.
rofl

Haven't been buying long? Most of these vehicles have been driven by people who don't give a crap about them. They are 20-40 years old, and many are part's vehicles or seen some hard use. Its pretty rare to get a real gem. I got lucky with my Kentucky truck. But I paid a lot more for my NJ truck because the engine was brand new...unfortunately it had a broken block, so I'm replacing the engine. I took a chance by not going to preview the lot, and got bit.

If you want to rag on GL, look to their real weak points- some of the bonehead employees, and their EUC process and paperwork fiascos.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks