• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running everything

scoutdoors1000

So I just wanted to post up a little experience of mine.

Firstly I have a M1009. Added a second tank (32 gallon) in the engine compartment. Then have converted my truck to run on the two tank system. I have run it on ATF, WMO and WVO. Have clogged off one filter running mainly a mix of 5 month old filtered WVO and WMO combo. Have choked out two times recently for switching over too soon. I start the vehicle on Diesel and then after a sufficient warm up time I switch over to the secondary tank and then purge the system to finish up on Diesel so I do not build up poly in the system or have incredibly hard starts.

My system would automatically switch from diesel to the secondary tank when the engine hits temperature but my switch is busted and I am waiting on a replacement.

I have a single fuel pump which pulls through both the diesel and the alt fuel filter. The valves which switch between the two default to Diesel so that if the system fails it fails into the diesel mode. Down fall of the system is that the pump pumps directly into the engine rather than through a filter and thus does make for a nice rich plume when I start things up. Have yet to have to change out a diesel filter so not sure how the whole system prime is going to go seeing how I will be pulling uphill through the filter to the pump rather than pushing uphill.

First filter clogged off after about 400 miles but as said before I was running straight crap through it

I run WMO and ATF straight from the vehicle. WVO I collect and run through a 200 micron screen filter then into a 55 gallon barrel which I heat to 300 degrees for 24 hours to evaporate off the suspended water. I let the system settle for approx 24 hours then pump off my WVO and dump it into my spare tank.

She smells great running on veg. Have had two people stop to chat after they saw me pouring fuel into the engine compartment. But Everyone who sees my big tank in the engine compartment when I work on it asks what the heck it is. They love it

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
While I admire the inginuity and fab work you have I find the fact of having 32 gallons of any type fuel in the engine compartment disturbing.

In a frontal impact collision at moderate speed there is going to be a crushing effect on the front end which will likely result in the tank being crushed and the fuel spewing onto the hot exhaust manifold. If the fuel is heated it will result in a lower combustion point and could explode.

Also there are two batteries mouted up there.....same issue....a spark from shorting cables could cause the same effect.

I have seen this happen to commercial trucks.....the fuel tanks collapsed in a collision and the diesel vapors ignited.

Diesel and other high oil fuels burn hot...much hotter than gasoline....I have seen big rigs burned to the point that only steel was left due to the high temps.

I often use waste veggie oil that is too contaminated for fuel as a fire starter....it will kindle green wood in a few minutes. It burns that hot.

I would rethink that fuel tank location.

Just my two cents worth.

Monty

:ditto:Your limited in a m1009 for locations to install a second tank, i'd perosnaly rather see it mounted under the truck and away from any ignition point.

Also if your local motor vehical enforcement officer see's you doing this he may try to go after you for not paying highway taxes.

Otherwise I comend you on your effort it's great to be able to drive around using something that you made to save yourself money.

Take care

zout

This was a Freightliner with a Detroit 60 series with a very tiny fuel leak - he was headed to get the tractor repaired to pass the FHWA inspection.

As you can tell - he did not make it. This was an owner owned tractor and was advised to park it and get a mobile service to come and repair it before it was moved - drivers are smarter than mechanics and this is what he wound up with - a worthless tractor.

As I am a visual person - having a pic to make an impact is priceless.

Attachments

scoutdoors1000

ARGH. Defintely going to have to rethink this one. Stupid lack of planning. Part I wanted to avoid was a tank full of HEAT in the truck. Now a refab with a tank under the vehicle is looking much more appealing.

scoutdoors1000

PS thanks for raining on my parade ;-)....but at least I still have a parade rather than it being burned up in a hot fireball that the firefighters wont put out because of tons of oil.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Good deal...we would hate to see you make an ash out of yourself.rofl

If you check aftermarket parts suppliers (JC Whitney, etc) you might find an add on tank that will fit under the vehicle since the M1009 is basically a Chevy truck painted green and built to mil specs.

Good luck and keep us posted on your project.

ca1517

Instead of the second tank, maybe look into producing bio-diesel. If you are already heating the WVO, you are part of the way there. I run it 100% in a M1009, 04 Dodge, Cat 953, farm tractor, etc., etc. Everything I own that is diesel with absolutely no problems, no clogged filters, or having to switch back and forth between fuel sources on the fly.

scoutdoors1000

Yeah heat is the big problem and thus my dual tank set up. When it gets to being all white outside things sludge up pretty bad. For some reason the idea of not cleaning my system out on standard fuel makes me nervous. I wish I had the ability to constantly use a block heater during the winter but just not feasible between work and where I have to currently park. thought about getting one of the fuel powered heaters but opted to stay away from it.

zout

Acutally Scout - I would usually pass on info to someone who needed to disappear off the face of the earth to rid mankind of stupidity (THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT YOUR INSTALL NOR YOU)

If it were a local person that had no common sence and life could go much better without them around - I would just let them do it.

For a fellow SS member trying to improve and share with others I would jump in instantly and at least give my .02 cents worth to help or to make changes as others have done above.

I am sure you have other options to consider and check out the big picture.

Good luck and show some more pics of what you have going there- that really helps.

I have other pics of trucks burning up with body parts still remaining in them becuase drivers could not get out of the trucks fast enough before the toxic fumes of the unsulation of the wiring surrendered them brain dead almost instantly. Good advise here - if you have a wire fire - get out and get away - do not smell the fumes. You thought fuses for explosives were fast - wiring shorts has the speed beat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks