• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel Jacked!!!!!

derby

Well, I was the winner on a very nice five ton today(from GL),but @4:58 someone swept in,and with a sledge hammer shatterd my dream.I played buy the rules, took off work to go inspect ,made all the calls,even convinced the wife!! I counter bid and so did he.my pockets don"t go that deep.I figure he was a re-seller. I hope everyone else bidding today had better luck on your bids.oh well better luck nextime.learn from your mistakes.a stitch in time saves nine? :roll:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep trying, you have the hardest part licked(convinced the wife)! I tried several Auctions and probably 10 or more trucks before finally winning an M35A2 that was in my price range,and close to home. aua (I don't know what I was thinking,bidding on trucks in FL,MDand MI.) :cookoo:

jasonjc

Tell me about it up untill about 4 hr befor the end I had one for like $350 in the last few minits it climed to $2300!!!I don't know what I was thinking

ida34

Yeah. Whine and cry all you want but I really wanted that five ton. :) Just kidding. I did not snipe you. Keep looking. It took about a year before I got the truck I wanted for the money I wanted to spend.

WCJIV

Gl bidding

Gl auctions are different than ebay where sniping is common. GL will hold the auction open 15 minutes past the last bid even if it is after 5pm. Thus if the last bid was at 4:58pm the auction would not close until 5:13pm. This will go on until no one bids for 15 minutes. Keep trying.

ida34

His problem was not so much sniping. His problem was the last minute sniping went higher than he wanted to pay.

derby

Yes, those are the ones.I have ben kicking myself for not going one more bid.The one that said" runs excellent condition " was very nice,other than the paint being a little faded it was in good shape. the one I was after was lot#4300,will never forgive myself for not trying one last bid!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
derby,
You have brought up a point that I feel needs to be expanded upon.

That you didn't 'go the extra' (mile, dollar, whatever) to get the truck that was 'perfect' for you.

So folks, if it's THE ITEM you want, and I'm NOT talking about JUST MV's here, when is TOO MUCH just that. Too much?

I know, I know, in our 'gotta have it right now' society, sometimes that 'impulse' bid may net you exactly what you've been looking for. Regardless of how long you've been looking. And maybe you will find another as good. MAYBE YOU WON'T.

So, realizing we ALL have some kind of financial constraint set upon us, at what point do you give up or just keep going.

Sometimes you will never get that particular opportunity again, so what's it worth?

I'm asking this because I'm currently on the horns of this dilema and don't know if 'too much' is just right or is actually too much.

derby

In my case ,I would not had to sell the farm for one bid,or two.but i think that a pearson has to know ,like you said ,when is it too much. I have spent a few months on looking and research and have an idea what things go for.maybe a person has to ask themselves,if they were hard pressed for cash what would you sell first(wife,kids,boat,or your five ton!)and is the truck resaleable for what you paid or near what you paid.I have seen trucks with high prices,but not in anyones yard.like some of the other members have said "there is always another truck".and I am keeping my eyes peeled. (just kidding about the wife and kids thing!) Good luck with your decision!

rice

I don't like the bidders that wait until the last minute. They know it will add 15 more minutes so why wait? One good thing about the 15 minute rule, it gives you 15 minutes to decide if you want to bid again.

ida34

I knew I wanted a truck for under $1500. Lets face it for most of us these are toys that have little everyday use. I thought that my truck would never come. I had to get one that said it was drivable. I did find one and am happy with it. For me there was another truck down the road. I also figured that soon the supply of the m35's would come to an end. This is why I spent the money when I did for my toy. When they are not getting sold by the government they will go up in price. I talked to a guy that bought a ford script WWII jeep in the 50's for a couple hundred. Now he has a very nice jeep that can't be touched for $10000. He did very little restoration on it since he has just kept it in good condition. This is what I plan to do with my deuce and hopefully my cucv. The moral is these are drying up and the more they do the higher the price goes. This does not change how much money one can afford to spend on one. I placed limits then decided to go for it within those limits. Everyone should do the same. I am happy I got mine and hope to have it for a long time.

Chuck

devilman96

I have been watching auctions for about a year now... Though I purchased a few months ago I really didn't think I would be doing so, it was one of those right time and place deals that I didn't think would happen of finding an ok looking M35 within 300 miles and with a wench for under 2500$.

In regards to the no SF / Title deal.. in MY OPINION this has pushed the price up, not down as a lot had hoped for. In the past year I would say the average running M35 with out a wench was in the $1700 range, with a wench $2200. Since GL dropped titles in the past 3 months there have been 3 sets of auctions, most with out winches are in the $2100 range and the ones with are in the $2600 range... There are exceptions to everything but the price seems to have creped up not down. I think this is because of the paperwork...

The harder it is to get something the more money it becomes worth... There are states that titling is a breeze for the average guy, Florida and Georgia are examples... Then there are states where being a dealer or wrecker makes titling a breeze... and it is possible for one guy in a non titling state to send his paperwork to a guy in a titling state and transfer it back... What I am getting at is there is a way around just about everything. If a truck it is impossible for Joe average to title in his home state that truck suddenly becomes worth a few bucks more... Resellers know this... Look at the number of post in here in the past 2 months making to the effect of "I am going to for go the GL process because its to risky... So I am planning on buying a already titled truck from a private party" So now the $2100 truck got a paint job a little tinkering and a title to become a $8000 truck...

I don't think the pricing is going to change... A complete running truck just for parts is worth well over $2500 when engines are $1000, diffs are $500+, trans and cases are $300-$500... It adds up. Yes there are exceptions and yes shopping around helps but I think on the long haul of things were just going through the motions of the price going up...

The RIGHT thing for us to do for each other would be to help one another out with titling and such between states... Its only a matter of paperwork, bills of sale, and signatures to keep it all legal and cover liability. I am doing my trucks paperwork next week from the first "no title, no SF auction" I just got insurance this morning and I have letters from the DMV in Florida whom I asked about titling and they state that a bill of sale / invoice is all that is needed for former untitled goverment truck... If all goes as planed and as I was advised it should then I would be willing to help other ACTIVE and KNOWN members get titles via the same route... Others in Florida and Georgia could do the same and would require the following...

You send your original invoice or better yet a certified or notarized copy along with a bill of sale to the person in a "titling state"...

That person can then title the truck using said paperwork...

Once the title is received from the state it would be a matter of signing it and mailing it back with another bill of sale between the 2 parties which would cover the person in the "titling state" legally in the case of the title not being transferred right away, resold, etc...

Not so complicated... not as fast as doing it yourself... but not such a big deal ether...

motorolanut

Jacked or Lifted

A good point indeed, titles are a must have, but don't forget to add shipping costs to your bids as well. We do not always get so lucky to add oil and diesel fuel and drive off. Then there is a always the expensive cost of towing this monster if you breakdown half way home. Pictures of the body of a duece, five ton, whatever never show that weak bolt or crack above to explode and pour out grease on the roadway.

Remember you are purchasing a 30 to 40 year old vehicle lets face it,
They all need tender loving care....

derby

This truck was to be used on my farm,so a title was not a high priority, at least for a couple months.(harvest time)also you are right about shipping, the base in columbus said NO truck was to be driven off base.had something to do with Ohio dmv and a saftey inspection.Ohio is not as friendly with newly purchased vehicles ,you can not drive it home like Michigan's72hour law.you would have to plate and insure it.(fat chance in the time you have to remove your Prize) I checked the bid history and the guy who won did not place any bids until 4:58(SNIPER!)the day of action close.

motorolanut

Well, Keep your chin up and continue watching GL, summer is approaching and more sales are afoot, Watch the chambersburg Pa site as well.

As far a Snipers go...I have been there victims many times at other auctions sites as well...Good Luck no doubt in time you will prevail

Elwenil

Just as in warfare, the only way to counter a sniper is with another sniper. Best thing to do is learn to snipe and fight back. There's really nothing wrong with it, but it does tend to get irritating to some. GLs 15 minute rule essentially ruins the true sniping technique as you have in Ebay, but it will get you if you walk away from the auction with 30 minutes to go, feeling like you ot it. If you bid but are unable to babysit the auction at the end, the best thing to do is go ahead and figure the highest amount you would be willing to pay and put that as your bid. If you get it, great, if not then someone was willing to pay more and it's only fair. Unlike Ebay and "rare" items, there will be a lot more Deuces coming down the pipe and plenty of chances to get one for a "good" price based on current value. Just my .02

ah1955

Diesel jacked

Know what you mean was almost knocked out at last min.
Was bidding on a couple at Chambersburg and my first choices(winch,running) went a little to high for me, moved on to other ones was still high bidder on two when I went to work Tues. morning called home around 2 P.M. had my wife check e-mail, was out bid on one and still had the other.
Could not check aftert that so rushed home A.S.A.P found last min. bidder had out bid me and ext. the sale just enough for me to answer with my max bid other bidder answered with a min. bid and gave up.
Sale ended at 5:41 with me being the new owner of Lot#3605 .
Sitting at computer watching the clock and hoping for 15 min. of no bidding was nerve fraying, but I was lucky first time out and it worked(I hope will have to do the paper work)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks