• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft. Indiantown Gap, Anneville, PA

Preacherboy

Ft. Indiantown Gap, Anneville, PA Friday noon pickup

I will be picking up a truck this Friday, event 5073 lot 5060--does anyone have any notes on this truck that I should be aware of?

Second question, are the GL folks there easy to get along with or should I prepare myself for something else? I just got off the phone with a lady, and it seems like I am already starting off on the wrong foot.

Thirdly, I will be taking I-80, then I-76 to avoid Cleveland and the toll road to US-23 north--if we get into some emergency is there anyone along that route that could provide some assistance?

Last edited:

TURKEY131

I picked up a truck there a few months back. Was not too bad. The GL rep was good. Offered to jump the truck if needed and ask if I needed a hand with any thing. Over all was a pretty easy recovery. :D

rneely

I picked up my Deuce in Oct of 2008 and ahead called to set up a time. Mike met me at the gate half an hour early and was very helpful. I needed a bolt to attach the exhaust pipe and he went looking and came back with one. Also if you get in a jam and need a tow or a place to have your truck parked temporarily call H&S Towing (717) 469-7093 (Dispatcher is Jodie). They are located just off the post and have picked up trucks many times. I had them lined up just encase I had trouble.
Good Luck and have fun.

Preacherboy

I spoke with Mike this morning, a real nice guy. He claims he can drag start a truck or has a slave cable available. He says he will help with whatever it takes to get it out of there. I will be picking up with timass1 the same day.

jj

If you are eastbound on the PA turnpike(I-76), use the Carlisle,PA exit, and then I-81 north, to the Ft. Indiantown Gap exit. Then use PA-943 into the base. All interstate, except for the mile or so in Carlisle and the last two into The Gap. Generally light traffic. Easier, i think, than any other way to get there. Good Luck.

Preacherboy

the directions that Mike gave me are exit 85B off I-81, 934 North, left on Asher Minor road, right on Utility Road stop at the guard shack and call him.

Last edited:

timass1

See that the squeakiest wheel gets the oil,I call mike today and asked for an earlier time and told me 12-12:30. I ain't 7am but its better than 2pm. MIke's a pretty good guy, gave me free range when I went to preview. See you guy's there Fri. I'm looking foward to it since this is my first MV purchase.

rneely

Here's the map I used to get to the guard shack. Just like Mike described. Go all the way down Utility Rd till you see a guard shack.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Mike is the best GL employee I've met yet and I've met some really decent folks in the GL yard. Can't say much about at their main office but in their yards it;s the other way around.

timass1

Well I guess I will be seeing you two there tomorrow. i thought about it long and hard and my original plan was to drive back but I'm throwing caution to the wind seeing how this is my first MV and hauling it back. Good price and my neighbor so I couldn't refuse. Any who I look forward to meeting up with some SS members as well picking your brain for info. Preacherboy you got my cell# so call if you need anything. I est. our arrival around 9am.So I'm still debating on taking a trip down to Mechanicsburg to preview. My pri 1 is load up and head north but I'm itching to preview down south. Anyways Semper Fi an we'll see tomorrow.

Preacherboy

Here is the update on my recovery. We arrived at the gap plenty early 8AM, so we ate breakfast at Cocoa's Dinner in Hershey (the air smells like chocolate) and went through the free Heresy's Chocolate virtual factory tour. My 20 month old son and wife enjoyed the free samples at the end!

We also had time to stop at an Amish farmer's market that we saw, amazing stuff! We arrived to the Gap awhile before the GL rep Mike got there, several semi's with lowboys were also waiting to get in, and Fredo was there. Timmass1, for some reason we did not bump into each other, too bad.

Got into the lot a little after noon, I saw painted on the hood of my truck "slave starts", so I asked Mike if he could lend me one. While I was waiting for him to bring a truck around we had time so my dad and I looked the truck over. Engine oil was fine, as was the coolant. There was no visible leaks of any kind, but we decided to check the front differential. It was topped off, it was in some weeds, so we didn't check the rears. As Fredo said in his thread one tire was soft, my dad got me a glad hand adapter which we brought with an air hose and we were able to air that tire up very quickly.

The only problem was no lights! The batteries looked new and Fredo showed us how to turn the lights on, but nothing. 13 Mike has offerred to let me use an alternator off his truck to see if that is the issue, but I might just have mine tested and rebuilt if necessary. The truck drove great, my dad and I switched off an on driving, with my wife following us in her Tahoe. The truck would only go 45-50 and the hills were large, I didn't think I'd make it up one of them! I shifted to 3rd and finall got up it. As darkness approached we finally pulled over and stayed at a hotel near Youngstown, OH.

I shut down the deuce & chocked the wheels with some broken concrete and we all went to sleep (wife, 2 baby boys, dad and mom). Dad and I got up at 5:30 and pulled the deuce one foot before it fired up, still had 40 pounds of air pressure, also no signs of any leaks (maybe a small transmission). We arrived at home around 1:45 PM. A sucessful 550 mile recovery! Dad says it rides good, but the seat needs more padding! By the way, he and mom want one now! Except he wants an m109 to make into a camper!

So the truck is parked in front of the house, which also happens to be in front of the church...so we will see how the congregation reacts tomorrow!

Last edited:

Srjeeper

Good to hear things went well for your recovery. :driver:

One things for certain.

If all hejj breaks loose tomorrow morning, your in the best place you can be...[thumbzup]

Enjoy your truck and tell the folks to shop closer to home for their Military Motorhome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks