• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new 1953 M38A1 CDN project

tkjeeper

Ace, no the engine is not complete, and I'm not sure if it's original to this chassis. But it's freed up and since this will be my first project of this magnitude I guess it's a start. I've downloaded the manuals and have some experience, owning a cherokee for the past 7 yrs has started this disease, so I'm looking at it as a learning experience. I'm hoping the engine is in good enough shape for a rebuild, but I've got so much work ahead I haven't even looked that far ahead yet. Sorry about the pics, usually in other forums that technique has had the pics show up without having to click them. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Yeah Maddawg, that's how I look at it, as far as I'm concerned the original frame, axles, tcase, and tranny as well as the md block is worth the $500 I paid, I'll be looking for a lot of help.

Attachments

tkjeeper

This is when I brought her home. Sadly the next day my dad whom we live next to had a bad stroke and passed away. We had the service the day before fathers day, this project will have special meaning to me.

Attachments

Wile E. Coyote

Neat vehicle. If you don't know the original CFR (registration) number, they were mostly hand stamped on the top of the driver's side front frame horn (underneath about 1/4" of badly applied latex cam paint) between the bumper and the grille assy., if memory serves. Canada kept them in production through three contracts, which I think were 1953, 1968 and 1971 - with the vehicles nomenclatured M38A1CDN, M38A1CDN2 and M38A1CDN3 respectively. The CDN3 variant had a different rear axle, I think, and the modern 60A M151-style alternator vs. the old-school 25A generator with separate regulator box.

The CFR number was also usually stencilled on the outside of the jeep in the vicinity of the driver's foot, and usually on the dashboard right side above the passenger's knees in white. When they were cammed (usually with a paintbrush or roller) later on on their careers these numbers were just typically painted over, so they should be preserved. If you sand down the rear quarter panels and/or the bumperettes you should see the tacsigns of at least one unit the vehicle was assigned to. When the CDN forces went cam the tacsigns changed to the NATO standard ones you'd typically find on military maps -- prior to that they had full-colour tacsigns about 7" x 5", say...with the Formation on one side, and the individual unit on the other. The Formation sign was usually a shield that said something like "PRAIRIE COMMAND" along with a picture of a wheat-sheaf, and the tacsign indicating the unit on the other side would be something like a red square with "2 PPCLI" written above it on a white strip. These marking would be the same on the front windshield as they'd be on the rear quarter panels or bumperettes.

The downside of those vehicles up in Canada was the rust. Oh My God...the rust. Usually all the stringers underneath the floor pan beneath drivers and passengers feet are either rotted beyond redemption or simply not there entirely...seen both...plus the corners of where the fender arches reach down to the main body. Bet you'll find a few inches of bondo there in addition to the rear quarter panels.

(I have a '53 M38A1CDN at work and a couple of the later models and the 53 is by far and away the best shape of the lot. I think the metal used on the earlier contract was superior to that used in the later contracts, but that's just a guess. )

Speedy

if you dont plan on using those rims tires let me know.
I wont have enough money to buy rims and tires for my beast thought I should ask incase your planning on going original :)

o and your off to more of a start then me :driver:
mine is still the same way as I left it in my thread :sad:

tkjeeper

Got the frame back from sandblasting. Looks great! Easy to see the weak spots now and parts I need to repair before por15 time!

Attachments

tkjeeper

some pics from a spring project soon to come. Have high hopes for these springs. Anyone know what I could put in between the leafs? I've heard both sides, dry and greased. Any help would be appreciated. After the wire brushing and por 15 of course.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks