• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2010 Virginia Graves Mtn. rally - Labor Day weekend

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it's that time again! We are going to start putting together the 2nd Annual Graves Mountain rally here, looking for folks who want a nice family-oriented get-together, lots of outdoor activities at the Lodge, as well as trail rides, mod bog, vending for anyone who wants to sell stuff, etc. We had a great time last year, maybe 30 people and 15 or so trucks, open to everyone from 1/4-ton trucks to 10-tons, there is something here for everyone!

Also open to all trucks that are civilian in nature, 30 years old or older.

FIRST BUSINESS OF THE DAY! Looking for volunteers who can lend some time over the 4th of July weekend to help do minor trail maintenance and debris removal to prepare for the rally. Tools are provided, as well as hired help, but we need more hands to assist with the work. Please PM me or CGarbee for more details on that.

Let's start a running tab of attendees for the rally, I'll begin:

NAME, TRUCK, GUESTS
---------------------------------------------------------------

MadDawg308, M35A2, no guests
neilhendrix, M35A2, no guests
M215, M215 w/trailer, no guests
kaiser715, M715, 1 guest
peecook, M109, 1 guest
CGarbee, M813, no guest
CJ9/Granny, CJ custom, 1 guest
SCSG-G4, no MV, no guest
Ferroequinologist, M109A3/M37?, 1 guest
Opie, M109A3, 1 guest
jbingvtx, M35A2, no guests

Attachments

Last edited:

kaiser715

I am not real active here, but am over at the m715zone.com

My wife (Renee) and I are definitely gonna make it this year, just couldn't get it together in 2009. We'll be in the (not stock) M715. Trying to get some others from the Zone to show up, too.

DP

peecook

Jill and I will be back for Graves 2.0. Waiting to see if we are moving my cousin on the 4th, if not I will come up for the day to help with trail maint.

CJ9/Granny

My wife and I definitely have this on our calendar! We welcomed two new twin grand babies into our family yesterday afternoon so there is no way I am going to get my other half to go away from home over the 4th, but I will be thinking about you. :)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
(ferro reminded to the point of searing the dates into his forehead, backwards, so he can read them in the mirror)

Ferroequinologist, m109A3, possibly m37. Wife is not a guest, she's the boss. :p

Opie

Opie is working :)sad:) July 4 weekend but HAS planned ahead and has Labor Day weekend off.

Opie, M109A3 (God willing), 1 guest/"She who must be obeyed"

CGarbee

Great to hear that some of you might be able to make it on July 4 to help out with trail maintenance... :) What Mike has not mentioned is that we have a very large fireworks show that night (starts at 9PM, so if you want to hang around and eat and watch the show (we shoot off 3, 4, and five inch shells) you're welcome to, otherwise, we will plan to get you out of the area before traffic gets bad... :)

We will have at least one, if not two, more trail work days before the event...

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again and seeing a bunch of new faces as well.

Congratulations to Jason and Jill, hope that we can provide a good second honeymoon for yah... :)

jbingvtx

I'm putting this on the top of my list..I can't make the 4th work weekend but if you are having more post them well in advance and I'll come help out.

Jonathan--M35A2--no guests at this time

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Updated the list and bump to top.

I'm going to try and make this Sunday, July 4th, for the trail maintenance. I sent CGarbee a PM, but I know his cell reception and his internet access at the Lodge is non-existent. If you can make the trail maintenance on Sunday, I know it's a holiday, but help is appreciated, please let me know.

CGarbee

Updated the list and bump to top.

I'm going to try and make this Sunday, July 4th, for the trail maintenance. I sent CGarbee a PM, but I know his cell reception and his internet access at the Lodge is non-existent. If you can make the trail maintenance on Sunday, I know it's a holiday, but help is appreciated, please let me know.

Thanks to Mike for helping to organize this. As he says, we are just moving into the last century and have internet (but it is slow) and no cell phones (not enough residents to justify the tower (so they say).

Anyway, I will be working on some of the trials on Saturday (come by the Lodge office and ask for me between 0900 and 1000 if you are in the area and want to join in) and on Sunday (same deal timewise unless Mike convinces me to get an earlier start in which case we can meet up at the Syria Merchantile at 0800).

I will try to schedule another work day or two later in July (too hot, I know, but we had too much snow/flooding in the spring to work) on a Friday/Saturday.

If you come this Suday, since it is a holiday, the following is also officially going on at the Lodge for the Fourth:
Dinner at the picnic shelter from 5:00 - 7:00 PM
Jimmy O will be playing music from 6:00 - 8:00 PM at the picnic shelter.
Fireworks around 9 PM
Pony Rides & Face Painting 4:00 - 6:00 PM
Bring your lawn chairs

The pool is also open, so we can take a dip after working on the trails, or we can ride up the road to my place and you can freeze in the swimming hole.

Thanks!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are having a trail maintenance day on Sunday, July 4th, if anyone cares to show up. Go up to the Lodge whenever you arrive, ask for Cabell. If he is outside working already, he should respond on the radio, or one of the ladies in the office can tell you where he is.

It's gonna be hot, so bring a canteen of water to drink!

Opie

Why, oh WHY am I pining to be sweating for free these days while I'm getting paid to work elsewhere?

OD fever?

Be safe. Drink lots of WATER!

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we got a lot done on the trail maintenance yesterday. Cliff from Fairfax was there in the morning until lunchtime, and I showed up at lunchtime and worked until supper. A couple of the trails are completely cleared, ready for jeeps and trail vehicles. The next work weekend will be July 16-18, Friday to Sunday. Anyone who can help clear some of the few remaining trails on those days, help is greatly appreciated. If you have any hand tools that you can bring to help out with, that'd be fine too (lopping shears, chain saws, hand-swung weedwackers, etc.). Gloves are almost mandatory, there are a lot of brambles on the hills.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple more days to go - Cabell said he'd be in the area on Friday - Sunday, July 16-18. Can anyone lend a hand with some trail maintenance over those days? I think I can make it Friday.

CJ9/Granny

Would have loved to come up for a work weekend, but too short of a notice. Already had other plans on the calendar. My wife and I would have loved to help "blaze" some of those new trails! We do have the rally on the calendar though. When will the registrations be available? BTW: new grand babies are doing great! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks