• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stolen Mules

vgvgmal

mules.jpgI Need some help here. I'm sad to report that I had 2 mules stolen sometime this month I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. All though they were not totally restored to original condition and looks; one has 2 aftermarket black bucket seats and it has marine corps. markings in yellow with 4 wheel steering and the 2nd is od green with a roll bar and 2 large green canvas single seat.

They were being stored at the green and concrete recycling plant on Byron Hot Springs road; it can be seen across the rail road tracks from Byron Hwy. The way they were removed from the property was by rolling them to the back fens (facing the rail road tracks), cutting the fence and rolling them down the small ditch were a truck was waiting to be loaded on.

If anyone saw anything and or have seen the vehicles in the area, (they are very noticeable), please contact me at vgvgmal@yahoo.com or the Contra Costa County Sheriff deputy sheriff Mr. Berry at 925-646-2441. There is a reward being offered for any information

Both mules need some work, the single steer mule need a starter motor (I removed it for maintenance). the 4 wheel steer need work on the steering wheel, it disengages from the column and you can lift the steering wheel and shaft all the way from the column. So i was hoping those here on this forum can send me info on all the mule parts dealers so that I can contact them and let them know. I know about mechanical mules of America and there is at least one that advertises on Ebay regularly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Michael

FL_Frank

Whoever stole them obviously didn't think it through very well if they were planning on reselling them. These things pop up anywhere in the US or Canada and it'll get noticed by the SS community in short order I'll bet.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to alert the local scrap yards.

I recently had 2, 5 ton front winches stolen(and scrapped). I was lucky enough to have several people help look for them and the police located them(shortly after reporting the theft) at a nearby scrapyard. Lucky for me they scan drivers licenses and had a camera at the yard. The guy is now doing time and I have my winches back, thanks to a few good friends and some good old fashioned police work.

Report your theft! Sorry to hear things are just as bad out West.

BTW, I have full coverage on my Mule through Gulfway.

Last edited:

vgvgmal

Yeah, i don't think whoever stole them knows what they got and how rare they are, especially here in the west cost. i have contacted mule parts resellers on eBay and several major parts dealers.

Thanks for the heads up on the scrap dealers and i will start putting out flyers around the area including at Napa stores.

The one problem i have is, I don't know exactly when they were stolen. I last saw then a month ago and the ironic thing is that we went to go move them to a new location this Saturday, that's when I reported them stolen. So those could easil;y have left the county or even the state by know. I have 2 other mules at the same location but since they had flat tires they could not easily move them, so they were spared.

Any other ideas would be appreciated

Thanks again.

Michael

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We'll keep an eye out.

Do you have the serial numbers of the stolen mules, so we can verify them if the thieves decide to change the appearance of the mules, but leave the data plates?

zout

Will be easy enough to pick up here on SS if something funny is going on wanting parts.

Not related to the post but here in Atlanta folks are stealing manhole covers - metal grating over drains and aluninum plachard holders off semi trailers for metal etc etc etc.
The "takers" and theives need to disappear as it is sickening in cases like yours.
I feel for your loss of personal belongings and hopefully this has a good ending - like being locked up or tied to a tree.

zout

Oh yeah - 1 more .02 cents worth

Thieves are thieves and people that know them know they are thieves
they sell stuff for .10 cents on the dollar and still have nothing to show for it and keep on stealing. They are still theives.

vgvgmal

We'll keep an eye out.

Do you have the serial numbers of the stolen mules, so we can verify them if the thieves decide to change the appearance of the mules, but leave the data plates?

I have one serial number for the 2 steer mule with the roll bar/cage, 10627. The 4 wheel steer did not have a plate.

Michael

vgvgmal

Oh yeah - 1 more .02 cents worth

Thieves are thieves and people that know them know they are thieves
they sell stuff for .10 cents on the dollar and still have nothing to show for it and keep on stealing. They are still theives.
Totally agree with you brother.

Michael

vtdeucedriver

Be sure to alert the local scrap yards.

I recently had 2, 5 ton front winches stolen(and scrapped). I was lucky enough to have several people help look for them and the police located them(shortly after reporting the theft) at a nearby scrapyard. Lucky for me they scan drivers licenses and had a camera at the yard. The guy is now doing time and I have my winches back, thanks to a few good friends and some good old fashioned police work.

Report your theft! Sorry to hear things are just as bad out West.

BTW, I have full coverage on my Mule through Gulfway.
Would not hurt DH but I am sure that someone got them for what they are...............Besides the decking is Magnesium.
Glad that your dirtbag got caught!!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sucks! Not to hijack, but I had a multifuel 5 ton air cleaner, with the mack mushroom, 5 metal jerry cans, dated 52 and 83, and two brand new railroad motorcar wheels stolen from in front of my house, in a townhome community about 3 weeks ago. I'll keep an eye out for the mules too.

I wish I could find who did it, they don't make any of the stuff that was stolen anymore. :???:

stumps

Scrap prices for steel are at an all time high. I doubt this stuff went anywhere but to the nearest scrap yard. I would check there first.

Remember, we are fanatical nuts. Nobody, and I mean nobody knows what this stuff is but us.

-Chuck

bkwudzhom

The scrap yard guys might make use of the mules around the yard. Besure to ask about that. Those that dont know what they are might just think the boss got a new cart!!
BK

stumps

The scrap yard guys might make use of the mules around the yard. Besure to ask about that. Those that dont know what they are might just think the boss got a new cart!!
BK
Maybe, but most yards would use a forklift with a dump hopper, or a skid loader, to haul the sort of stuff that a mule could haul around.... And the mule would still need a fork lift, or skid loader, to load it up. Any load of larger volume than could be handled by a forklift, or skid loader, would go on any old ratty flatbed truck in the yard.

Junkyards are businesses. What do they need with an antique vehicle that they can't find parts for? I think any mules that came in would just go to the crusher.

-Chuck

Crazyguyla

I know this might be a long shot, but have you contacted any MV museams? If the thiefs knew what they were, that's a place they might try to unload them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks