• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinz Parts suppliers

NorthernPinz

So I am the mechanic for a company who owns and operates 5 Pinzgauers for some off road safari tours.

Lately, I have been getting a bad taste for the current supplier of our parts. I have to replace the little rubber spring cushions on the leaf springs on a few of our pinzgauers, and at the rate of $172+ each ($688 per truck) I find that quite absurd.

It seems like every time one of the trucks needs something, I am handing the boss man a bill for thousands of dollars.

We are hemorrhaging money trying to keep our beloved pinzes running.

The spring cushions I mention above are only an example of a typical price on a typical part that I need to replace every few years.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a source for parts for these trucks that doesn't require a credit card with a "no set spending limit?"

Some FYI about me, I have been a mechanic for 8 years, and have been wrenching for over 15. These are the most expensive vehicles to upkeep I have ever laid hands on.

ANy info appreciated.

-Kerry the Wrench

undysworld

Kerry,

You didn't mention where you've been buying parts, so I'll probably be recommending them...!

The main two suppliers I'm familiar with are Swiss Army Vehicles Swiss Army Vehicles - The Prime Pinzgauer and Unimog Source and Expedition Imports Expedition Imports Corporation Home

Here's a link to some parts references for many common parts Parts Reference

Here's a mechanic I rely on (frequently), Dennis Williams of Linden Eng. (Denver area): Welcome to LinDen Engineering
He frequently has some used parts available, and is very knowledgeable and helpful. Feel free to mention that I referred you to him. He is currently on vacation for a few weeks, however.

Here's a link to some other vendors, etc. from the Rocky Mtn. Pinzgauers site: Useful Links

Yeah, they can get expensive when buying some parts. But on the other hand, nothing good is cheap. If you guys really use the trucks hard, I'd be curious how other "cheaper" trucks would hold up under the circumstances. Perhaps you'd be spending lots on them too, because maybe they broke more often. ??

I've had my 712 for over 8 years now, and am continually impressed by how well-designed it is. Unlike previous years, this past year was a killer for me on parts. I replaced the tranny (lose gear destroyed case), rear axle(s) seals & orings, tires, and I can't remember what else. I feel your pain.

Be glad your boss is the one paying for the stuff!

Hope this may help you. Good luck.

Paul Underwood
Blue Mounds, WI

Pinz25086

Pinzgauer and inexpensive parts are almost never used in the same sentence. I have owned mine for almost 5 years and while the parts are pricey, if I added up what I have spent total and what I have done with it vs a normal 4X4 and what it would cost to repair after I used it the same way, the Pinzgauer is very cost effective!!

Wayne

NorthernPinz

Oh- I totally understand the "what else would we even consider using" argument, preacher-choir the whole nine.

I am also amazed at the build quality on these rigs, I have no qualms about keeping them on the road, I am just trying to find a more cost effective parts supplier.

Because of the situation I am in, I will not step on anyone's toes by mentioning names.

I run into the same things with the cars I prefer to work on. Nothing good is cheap.

We have 5 712Ms and a 712 ambulance.

We've had them for about 7 years and they get used year round multiple trips per day.

I will happily check out the things you mentioned and get back to you with results.

Thanks a million,

-Kerry the Wrench

Spent some time last night following a couple of threads and came across this thread in regards to the Pinzgauer and spare parts. If you understand the market, it may help to temper some of your expectations in regards to the spare parts.

First and foremost you are talking about a vehicle that's primary purpose was sales to the military. Military parts procurement budgets are large. In addition with total production numbers in the 17K unit range manufactured from 1971-1983 (gas units), spare parts are at a premium. To put that in perspective from 1942-1945 the U.S. produced over 613,000 jeeps. The point is the market for the spares is VERY small.

The idea that there is still a factory source on these parts is actually quite surprising. Up until a couple of years ago you had a dept. at the manufacturer tasked with maintaining parts supplies for a vehicle that was 30-40 years old. That group has since been spun-off into a separate company to support the remaining Pinzgauers. This is the "Factory Source" that dealers such as myself reference.

When it comes to spares and prices, what you are seeing is NOTHING compared to what the actual prices are. Your vendors work to source the parts from OEM and Aftermarket sources because of the simple fact that the factory parts prices can be outrageously priced. Aftermarket gaskets and seals that you may see on the webstores at $5-10 can run in the $40-50 range if purchased from the factory. (Quality/price is a whole different ballgame...)

Limited Surplus Parts. Surprisingly one of the largest purchasers of Pinzgauer Surplus parts was the FACTORY. This left minimal parts stocks available for dealers when the Swiss dumped their parts. SAV did a good job of picking up some of these spares and their prices are reflecting the surplus parts. What you are not seeing is the factory pricing on some of these items which can be truly staggering.

On items that are only available NEW from the factory, the only option is either pay the price, or have the part made elsewhere minding quality/price. A lot of this is currently going on, but at the end of the day there are certain parts ONLY available from the factory, and not enough of a market to justify large scale reproduction.

In reality, there is a lot of parts available through the dealers that are OEM and very reasonably priced. Brake rebuild kits, master cylinders, clutches, etc., are coming to mind. "Hard" drive train parts are where it can get ugly.

If on a budget where a used part will work, don't hesitate to ask the dealers. I personally have 2-3 containers of used pinz parts that I do not have the manpower/time to get up onto the site. We try to stock the most common wear items, and aftermarket options as necessary.

If you are tasked with keeping your fleet of trucks up and running I would recommend you keep open lines of communications with all of the dealers/enthusiasts as that is going to best serve keeping your vehicles up and running.

We have always counseled people that the entry level cost of these vehicles is way too low as it sets the expectations that the parts/maintenance is going to follow along with the purchase price, which is far from the case.

Cheers,

Scott Ingham
Expedition Imports

NorthernPinz

Yeah, at this point it is what it is in terms of pricing for parts.

We had a differential go south in one of the trucks, and to rebuild it (just in parts, not labor or shipping) was on the order of 2800 bucks. We got a used one for about half of that, and it has worked out well.

I am in the process of rebuilding one of the auxiliary transmissions in one of my trucks, and that is proving difficult. None of the special tools that the service manual calls for are available, so creativity is my last resort.

I did get in touch with T-Lo and we chatted for a while, and he helped me to understand the situation with these trucks.

While I am on the subject, one of my trucks had the front differential rebuilt by one of the previous mechanics, and I guess it was alright for a while, but now it makes this horrendous vibration after you accelerate past 30MPH. The only thing I can think of is that the balance weights on the front driveshaft in the torque tube have been thrown off. I lifted all 6 corners of the truck off the ground and pulled the tires off, and accelerated the driveline up to speed and the vibration only occurs when the front axle is engaged, so I know the problem is in the front half of the truck.

I rebuilt both of the gearboxes in the front wheels, so that is not the issue. It is either in the diff, or it is in the driveshaft.

Goatwerks

You need to revisit that diff before it comes apart.
It sounds like a pinion nut has loosened.
It takes 2 special sockets and over 230ft lbs torque on the (blue loctited) bearing retaining rings. Could also be the spider pin bolt come loose, or even a front locker bearing failure.
Drain the diff and look for metal flake.
Just use these simple rules when working on any Pinz component, put all shims back into position unless a shimed part is replaced, then the rule is try the original and adjust from that point.
Go to my website (www.goatwerks.com) for detailed repair pics. You can also send PM for specific repair images for almost all Pinz components.

NorthernPinz

You need to revisit that diff before it comes apart.
It sounds like a pinion nut has loosened.
It takes 2 special sockets and over 230ft lbs torque on the (blue loctited) bearing retaining rings. Could also be the spider pin bolt come loose, or even a front locker bearing failure.
Drain the diff and look for metal flake.
Just use these simple rules when working on any Pinz component, put all shims back into position unless a shimed part is replaced, then the rule is try the original and adjust from that point.
Go to my website (www.goatwerks.com) for detailed repair pics. You can also send PM for specific repair images for almost all Pinz components.
Ive been keeping my eye on the drain plugs and there isnt anything out of the ordinary.

I've been limiting the use of that truck as much as possible. I need a heated garage and a concrete floor (now that we have snow) to fix that truck. I'll probably tear into it this winter some time.

Wolf.Dose

European MV in the US are expensive. If still supported with NEW parts, more expensive (However, you are on the lucky side).
US MV in Europe are expensive, too. No maker supplying new parts, only 40 or more year old NOS, which is simply old (NOS seals are leaking, rubber parts are hard and not performing propperly etc.). If you do not find the fitting parts by yourself over here, you are pi....
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks