• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 Rust-free, NEVER CUT questions...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have recently learned of a M151 Mutt that may be for sale "soon".

The short description:

NEVER been CUT for de-mil !
Rust Free!
Has been repainted to "USMC color"... whatever that means.
Replaced canvas.
Runs great (I've not yet seen it - neither in person or pictures).
Acquired from "A Colonel who brought it back wth him from VietNam".

Now, I know that if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. So please bear in mind that this is a developing "lead" on an item for sale.

Here's my short list of questions....

Besides the obvious, what should I specifically look at when I get the chance - possible problem areas etc.??

Assuming that she really is drivable/roadworthy, pretrip inspection tips??

(I intend to get info for carnac to research ASAP to verify/deny the historical claims.)

While this is really too early and the details too vague for any accuaracy expectations..... What might she be worth? A) From the buyer's point of view? B) From the seller's point of view?

Thanks in advance for ANY and ALL input. I'll update as info becomes available.

m38inmaine

Look in the battery box/fuel tank area that's where they cut them across, also look for rust where the suspension attaches. M151's rust from the inside out, look for a cancer blisters. Post pictures asap.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Price depends. Is it a straight 151, 151A1 or 151A2? Rust free probably means they aren't charing for it! RUst rust rust is the enemy.

papercu

A Colonel who brought it back wth him from VietNam".
If that was true it could have never been de-mill and couldn't have had a title. In fact it could only be stolen Federal property.
If the seller is lying about one thing, why would they only stop there?
BTY if it was a Air Force Colonel, the part about him bringing it back could be very true. Good luck, Wayne

Capt.Marion

One Marine M151 I've seen that has been fully (and accurately) restored is a 3-color camo, with a base similar to 383 Carc green and black and tan camouflage over the green.

Otherwise, it is either Semi-gloss OD (same color as all Army trucks in Vietnam) or Semi-gloss USMC Forest Green.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or.... MERDC (4-colour camo).

All our M151s (USMC back in antiquity, '78 to '86 when we gave ours up for Humvees and CUCVs) were MERDC.

Cheers

ida34

Get under it. Good rewelds can't be be seen from the top. The welds are ground down to the point of being invisible under the paint. Most people do not grind down the welds on the underside and the weld line is visible. This is if they did a good job. The hack jobs usually have extra metal on the structural sections to beet them up. These are immediately apparent when you look at it form the underside. If it is a good reweld it may be OK but it will impact price. The story sounds a bit iffy to me. Unless they have documentation of all this I would just price it on what you see in front of you. It is not like it was Westmoreland's jeep or anything.

toptiger

do not commit until you follow chuck's advise and look under it, then take lots of photos and post them here and on the g838.org and follow what the experts and those who made the mistakes, say.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update with Photos

Ok, boys & girls.....

I went to see the MUTT... M151A1, delivered to Uncle Sam in July of 1963.
Currently LEGALLY Titled and Tagged in Texas - Inspection expired October 2008.

Looked it over and it appears to me to be UNCUT (Outboard frame boxes have a structural weld at a point that the size of the box also steps down but this seems to be a manufacturing weld.) The inboard frame boxes are DEFINITELY NOT welded in any manner or repairing a cut ! (See undercarriage pic below.)

She's got 44, 500 miles on her and runs great. Drives GREAT. Seat foam is HARD and Canvas Seat Covers NEED some TLC. the Canvas top is a 3 on a scale of 1-10.

The paint job is a 3 out of 10.

There are some fog lights mounted on top of the front fenders for turn signals.

Looks like she's been completely rewired with civilian wire and terminals.

Glass is intact, but "frosted" around the edges.

Civilian "snow" tires mounted on original rims.

Comes with MANY spare parts including:
Rebuilt engine "in the can";
Used Transmission;
Miscellaneous Canvas (but NOT Doors);
Pioneer Shovel and Axe, but NOT the Pick;
and several other parts and accessories.

The story behind this MUTT was clarified to me:
Purchased by the current owner from a guy who bought it from a "Colonel". The "Colonel" purchased it from Uncle Sam very shortly after it was announced that these M151's are not safe for civilian use, and would soon be CUT before disposal. As best I can tell - - - It is truely UNCUT. Hence, it is presently in tha hands of its THIRD PRIVATE OWNER. Again, it has a VALID and LEGAL TEXAS TITLE.

So, here are the pics.....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks