• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maine now requires mufflers

Katahdin

Just a heads up, effective today in Maine:

1. Muffler required. A person may not operate a motor vehicle unless that vehicle is equipped
with an adequate muffler properly maintained to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
http://maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Vehicle Inspections/ExhaustlawChanges2010.pdf

This is really fallout from motorcycle operators with straight pipes, but I imagine it applies to M35A2 or M109A3 owners like myself. Installing a muffler is on my to-do list anyway, but now its legally mandated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure, a turbo is considered a muffler.

Katahdin

I can't find anywhere in the memo or other state statutes that says this law change only applies to modified exhaust systems.

I like Doghead's suggestion, but I think the opinion from the state will be a turbo muffler does not prevent "excessive noise." Or in my case, a C turbo that produces "unusual noise." :???: :D

In any event, I have a couple connections at the local PD and State Police, I'll try to get an opinion from one of them. I imagine in most cases they'll look the other way unless you've generated a lot of complaints and are on their radar screen.

Capt.Marion

From other state's laws, it has also been stated as an "adequate muffling device" that's required, which definitely covers the turbocharger. If your worried about it and prefer to keep it stock, just leave it, and if any body asks, politely explain about this is how they came from the factory and the turbo muffles the exhaust. If they still have a problem, well, there you go.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what the paper states is Modified exhaust systems. If your truck did not come with one from the FACTORY your fine.

I agree with Westy. It clearly says in section 3 modified. It also has some weasel words about sound from similar vehicles.

And this:

"The Department of Public Safety, Bureau of State Police shall convene a working group to study issues relating to highway traffic noise, including, but not limited to, unwarranted noise created when an exhaust system is not properly installed or maintained or is altered."

The Deuce exhaust is properly installed and maintained so that leaves don't alter it.

Factory exhaust from a similar vehicle should mean the Deuce is ok.

It does mean that you couldn't run straight pipes on an M920 though.

But I only play lawyer when Gimp isn't around........

sw

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know out here in PC California, a turbo is considered a muffler.

Heavysteven

I put a muffler on my truck and love it. I bet that c turbo sings though.

Back to the subject, I can not see a ticket holding up in court. The truck stock.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm also going with exhaust system as originally equipped. I can understand if you remove that "trash can" size muffler from an 809 series. Now, that's modified. But, not a deuce.

However, you may get an overzealous LEO and you're going to have to articulate your exhaust is OEM to him or in a court of law. So, make sure all your ducks are in a row.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks