• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1942 indian 741 joins the family

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lookie look what the cat brought home...

She's a 1942 indian motorcycle model 741. engine and frame numbers are correct. O.D. green under the black paint. fired her up today...started in 2 kicks.

I'll be restoring her to original so any and all help will be much appreciated. I'll post more pics when we bring her home next weekend.

Attachments

91W350

Sweet find! We have a couple of old Indians in town, I think my buddy's is a '42. Somebody prior to him had civilized it, what a shame, but it is a beautiful bike none the less. Glen

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet find! We have a couple of old Indians in town, I think my buddy's is a '42. Somebody prior to him had civilized it, what a shame, but it is a beautiful bike none the less. Glen

As you can see by the pic, this one was civilianized as well. It'll be a pleasure to rough sand the chrome, prime and give her a coat of O.D. green.

91W350

Somewhere in my ocean of CDs I have some photos of him riding it in a couple of Christmas Toy Runs. If I cannot find them, I will try to get with him again. I have not seen him for a couple of years. I talk to his wife and sister pretty regularly. I keep telling myself I will own one someday, but it does not seem to be happening. We also have an Indian Trike running around that was a parking meter vehicle and an old Indian Chief that served many years as the only traffic motor on the PD. I have not seen those two for years, I should look that family up and see if they are still hiding them away somewhere.

LoisHD

Nice Scooter!

BM
You be a lucky individual! Big MV trucks are great but I'd take a nice scoot like that any day of the week. Very Nice Video!

Jealous me LoisHD!

L999here

...wtg....!!!

Nice score...!!! You won't be happy unless you get a Chief road bike with windshield,crash bars and bags. That's the way to travel....LOL. Still a nice bike and will remain a good piece of military history. Good investment too.....well done...!!!

crawler07

awesome bike! Looks like a blast to ride, hows the rest of the gears do when shifting? do they all want to grind? or is it just first.. What is the truck behind you in the video? is it a 5 ton?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
awesome bike! Looks like a blast to ride, hows the rest of the gears do when shifting? do they all want to grind? or is it just first.. What is the truck behind you in the video? is it a 5 ton?
It will grind only when going into first from a stand still. After that, she shifts great. No gear grinding. The truck is the front corner of my 5 ton.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
let the teardown begin!

Started tearing into the restoration project.

once I started taking parts off, I couldn't stop:grd:

came across some NOS handlebars in Iowa...well worth the trip.
just needed some repair and touchup.
got her tore down pretty good. starting re-painting fenders, lights etc. I'm gonna leave the frame black and accent with early WW2 lusterless O.D. green should look pretty good when finished.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is gonna turn out as sweet as your deuce did. You do good work my friend! Were you able to see any of the original paint under the black?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks