• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mutt engine?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes and no!

I'ts not a direct fit, for sure. If your a good fabricator, maybe.

Speedy

Yes and no!

I'ts not a direct fit, for sure. If your a good fabricator, maybe.
just for my education how can you tell its a m151 motor (what is the model name of the motor for mutts?)
was this motor common for other MV's?

I am going to take a stab,
side draft carburetor it seems most other models are vertical (like the godevil in my cj2a)

are these motors rare to find?
just asking because I dont find mutts in canada

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell because I see things that only that engine has. Side-draft carb, the oil filter in that position, the engine data tag in it's position, the valve cover shape, etc. I just recognize it.

It is a Ford engine and as far as I know, it was specifically designed for that vehicle(not used in any other vehicle, ever).

Rare? I have no idea what rare is, in Canada. In the USA, they are not rare, but they are not that common to find either.

If you are interested in it's value, I have seen and sold complete power packs(engine/trans/radiator) in good running condition, for around $1000. Seen many for less and many for more.

The M151 has a vehicle specific transmission that is unitized with the transfers. It only fits in the M151. The M151 was not based off a commercially built vehicle, so its major components are all specifically designed and built for it.(not common)

Shop Rat Fab

"It is a Ford engine and as far as I know, it was specifically designed for that vehicle(not used in any other vehicle, ever)."

The facts I have (don't ban me from the site) are Ford bought the engines from Continetal its an industrial engine that could have multiple used like portable welding rigs. The engine was also used in the Hawk missle transporters unless that is not being considered a vehicle.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No ban for you!:p

I meant not used in mass produced and publicly available vehicles, sorry I wasn't clear there.

You're correct about the Hawk missile loader. Never seen one used in a welder(but they may have).

Anyone else seen them in any other applications?

zout

Wouild the engine have been placed in the Ford GPA at that time in the mid 40's ? The amphibious unit - I cannot remember how many were produced but I do not remember it being a large number.

nattieleather

The mutt motor is a mid 50's design. Overhead valve engine. Very much a modern engine compaird to the flat heads of WWII. The motor was made by Continential (Herchalise [sp?]) and is an industrial motor. I had a neighbore who worked on towmotors that had the same engine in them. I've seen them in a few gensets also. Good strong motor and if taken care of will run a long long time. Easy to work on too. Anything can fit in anything if you have enough money.... :)

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M-151 motor "CAN" be put in the CJ-2A by a good fab guy,but the problem you run into is on the
Trans/Transfer. The M-151 series jeep uses inpependent suspension,thus you have solid mounted diffs
with swingarm axles like a VW. SOOoo! you have driveshaft assemblies which run from the transmission
/tranfer which are made to run at a constant angle,and have no provisions to hold the yokes in place
other than when mounted in their normal way can't move forward or back,where as with solid axle jeeps
your drive shafts are constantly moving up and down thru. an arc with the axle assemblies which presents
the need for the slip yokes found on these shafts. I once put an M-151 power plant in an M-38A1 jeep
and the basic process would be same for about any solid axle jeep.
But I only did that swap because a "LOCAL JEEP EXPERT " told me it was impossible!!!! (I don't take well to-
-being told I "CAN"T" do something. LOL) and I will say it is not an easy thing to do.
As for the engine being used in other equipment ,I did see one in a piece of construction equipment, it was
a baby sized vibratory roller and had come from the Govt. but as Elvi..........I mean ...eeerrr doghead said LOL
no mass transit civy stuff. The way the starter mounts kinda makes it harder also. I have never looked at
Hawk missile configuration, but I believe it use's a C-3 Ford automatic tranny. so you might use it with one
of the earlier generation Ford Bronco tranfer cases. This is speculation ,not documented fact.

Thanks!!!! popacom /BILL in Ky.2cents

Last edited:

mikes47jeep

Its not worth the hassle, you should be able to find a good cj2a engine pretty easily

Once you've been around military equipment & jeeps for a while you'll learn to identify parts

Heck I can see a headlight and half a fender peaking out of a garage door and tell you what type of jeep it is

papakb

I had a guy call me looking for an "expert" on installing 151 engines into M38s! Clueless as to basic mechanical issues he thought as long as it would fit it would work. After about a year he got it motivating and then wondered why the speedometer didn't work. Never thought about what direction things turn inside.

Not quite Bubbasized, but definitely not worth the effort he put into the project. Stick with original stuff and simplify your job!

cobra5

It's an m151-a1 engine that looks like it was buried in a barn for a long time. Your best bet is to get the right engine for your project. The amount of time and money to get that thing running and installed will be far more than getting the right engine and rebuilding it. I've seen crate motor in the U.S. being had for less than 1K. Personally I'd rather find a complete take out motor that spins freely and rebuild it versus paying a lot for a crate motor that been sitting for years and will most probably require a rebuild anyways. Just my 2 cents.

199th mp

M151 engine

hercules 71 hp 141.5 cubic inch--when it comes to my 151, i like to say "if it's doing 60 mph, somebody's towing it" yeah, i know some guys have exceeded that speed, but that's not the best platform for flat out, is it?

armybuck041

Yup, 151 Engine.

Canada only had 935 M151A2s. 95%+ were demiliterized in accordance with US DoD specifications, but most of the parts went to the surplus market. A handful went out the door in once piece, but are mostly hidden away. Some were welded back together (mine included), but even known rewelds that are on the road only number in the dozens. Once DND caught on to the rewelds, crushing and mutilation took over from the normal single cut.

As for being a rare Engine.... Not really. What is rare is the M151 itself. These Powerpacks go for under $300, or even less in the condition that the one in that pic is in. Thats in Canada.

As far as im concerned, I wouldn't bother trying to swap it into something else than a 151. Although the Engines are pretty sturdy, the Tranny and Transfer Case aren't exactly awesome. The 151 is a very lightweight Jeep as well. Asking them to push anything heavier will wear them out even quicker. Like the other posters mentioned, its also designed for fixed Diffs (Think newer Toyota front), so there is no ability to run them with leaf sprung axles without the potential for them spit out their yokes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks