• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New addition to the herd

JB

Dad had been looking at this truck owned by a guy that owns local construction co. Finally they reached a deal and Dad & I bought it. Not sure if we will ever get around to restoring it but we figure it will take quite a lot to get it going.

First 4 pics are where it sat this past w/e until we got it moved.

Attachments

Last edited:

JB

Thanks we are gonna evaluate whether to resore or not.:cookoo: Dad had a M6 for a while and I think he wants to tackle this one. The usual issues are time & money (M1009 for sale may help the latter).

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got a nice Jimmy there. Pretty sure it is one that Southeastern in Augusta imported in the 80's from Norway. As you can see it has the remnants of the original wood bed. Keep that as you can use the steel parts to rebuild the bed! Too bad the owner did not keep it in a shed, then the bed would have been fine! The trucks were in really nice shape when they were brought over. I think you can get it to run and move in an afternoon. Will be needing all the brakes done, however. Good luck!

68427vette

nice find,, YES,, make sure you have, all the or get all the little pieces of BED,, VOV, or Vehicles of Victory will have lots of parts you are going to need, bob is a great guy.. jc

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Looks like a ex Swiss truck by the data plates (German) and the tires with the center cut, nice thing about the Swiss , they did not mess with the trucks like the Dutch, these trucks came into SECO in the late 70's along with a quantity of Canadian CMP trucks that the Swiss also had in some numbers , mostly LAA gun Tractors, enjoy ,
regards Frank[thumbzup]

CatMan

New Addition to the Herd

The CCKW's are great trucks. Yours has lots more than what many of us started with years ago.

There are a great bunch that hang out over at www.cckw.org

Check that site too. Lots of great info and help from CCKW owners.

Cheers

Cat Man

1945 CCKW Dump Truck and the M35A2

paulfarber

It actually looks in better than average shape. Lots of the engine bits are still there, the half doors don't appear rusted and the windshield looks solid.

A wood bed is the hard part, but they are out there.

Won't know the full story till you start to take things apart.

Winch models are generally more popular, so even if you do a modest clean up and get it running you could flip it.

JB

Thanks guys

Still waffling on whether or not to tackle or not. I will be doing the heavy lifting on this one if work begins. It is hard enough to get to work on the M38A1 in my garage.aua

paulfarber

It seems you got some of the wood bed parts, but might be missing some of the important ones (shear tabs, j bolts, side anchors). You could make a wooden bed without them, but would need extra bracing.

The fenders look good (a little rust at the running board is common and easy to fix). Even has the spare tire carrier... that's a biggie.

One half door looks rusted, and one side panel is off a chevy (the one with 6 vents). Hood looks iffy.

Nothing is a huge show stopper but definitely gonna need more than paint.

To be honest if the engine doesn't start and the brakes are shot (esp the hydrovac) its a parts truck. The cost to rebuild the motor is $2k+ (figure just sleeve a cylinders is $100 per hole x 6
Plus whatever else.. oil pump, dist, genny, starter, clutch etc etc

On the plus side it is a banjo with winch... if you are on the fence I would part it out as this is not going to be a cheap restoration:

Tires: $2500
Bed: $2000
Engine: $0-2500
Paint $500
Wiring: $1000
Rebuild each axle: $0-$500
Tranny $0-500
Transfer $0-750
Rebuild rear bogey: $0-300

Like I said... it would all hinge on the engine.

Last edited:

JB

Thanks Paul. We are willing to accept a long term project and you are correct, it all really depends on the engine. We already have a few leads on beds. I have a M35 bed (even though not correct) to get by with. Right now the parking brake is stuck and it will not roll. Have not had much time to give a good eval. The doors are rusted through on the bottom but nothing I can't handle. Wheels are going to be an issue as well. Some of the rear ones are worthless. May be able to get a better look in the next few weeks. If we don't tackle it we will put it up for sale here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks