• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WisDOT renews efforts on TRANS-123

mckeeranger

The "Enjoy your day" at the end sounds a little sarcastic, don't you think?

"This rule does not apply to any vehicle for which a statutory registration category exists in ch. 341, Stats., including homemade, reconstructed, replica, or street modified vehicles that are eligible for registration under s. 341.268, and former military vehicles that are eligible for registration under s. 341.269 or s. 341.266(2)(a)." (Pg. 3)

Does that apply to MV's such as M35's and Pinzgauers?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm confused-doesn't the recently passed legislation cover this?

undysworld

Cyberspace,
Well, yeah. You do look like you understand them. But alright, here's the plain English:

Attention ALL

Trans-123 is designed to outlaw antique imported civilian vehicles. This is an offshoot of WisDOT's efforts '07-'10 which resulted in the two new Wis. laws governing milvehs. That's why this new version can only apply to civilian vehicles. So, why should you even care, right?

Here are several reasons:

1) This is a case of a state's DOT assuming authority over a matter that is Federal jurisdiction, and then overturning the Federal decision. Antique (over 25-yr old) foreign vehicles can be imported exempt from FMVSS regulations (safety standards) under Federal law. But WisDOT wants to be able to declare these vehicles illegal.

2) One state's actions or laws often lead to other states following the lead. A bad ruling in Wis. potentially effects everyone later.

3) A collector car is a collector car, regardless of whether it's O/D green, a hot-rod, an old Cadillac or an imported Leland Mini. When anti-Collector car legislation is being considered, it would be prudent for everybody to get concerned, and do something.

4) WisDOT's method of change is really underhanded. Instead of seeking a legislative route to change our law, they are trying to change our state's Administrative Code. It's as decisive as a statutory change, but it does not require the approval of our legislators nor the governor. This gets introduced to legislative committees in each house, and unless they oppose it, it becomes law. DOT introduced this during the rush of re-election campaigns, when legislators would be least likely to notice. Democracy at it's flimsiest, courtesy of the Wisconsin DOT.

I hope you feel, as I do, like this needs to be halted. My next post will suggest how we can do this.

Paul

cyberspace_7

Paul, I do hope you know I wasn't directing the above sarcasm to you :sad:, but being sarcastic toward the government on there "legal banter":mad:. Seems laws are meant to only be understood by some superhero law reader person. Yet they effect US! If you do something wrong and say where does it say that? Then they point at section 1...24...313...401...and 51009. :shock: Somehow they are all connected?!? I applaud all you Wisconsinites did last year and this year regarding the recent laws trying to be passed by Wisconsin! Being your next door neighbour here in Minnesota we will be watching closely and supporting you even more![thumbzup]

undysworld

So, Wisconsin, are you willing to try and put a stop to this Trans-123 nonsense?

Time is of the essence. The DOT has already introduced this to the legislative committees. If the committees do not act by August 31, this rule will be enacted.

To stop this, we must convince members of the Senate and the Assembly Transportation committees to hold Public Hearings on the proposed rule change. We must also convince them to oppose the rule change. This is NOT impossible. Public outcry halted Trans-123 the first time around, in '09. We can halt it again, perhaps permanently.

Wisconsin citizens who live within the districts represented by the committee members are urgently requested to call their elected official's office to request a hearing and to oppose Trans-123.

First, using the links below, find out who your elected officials are, then check the committee lists (only 2) and see if your rep is on either committee.

Then, If they are on a committee, call their office and strongly request that they convene a Public Hearing over DOT proposal TRANS-123, and tell them that you oppose it.

Or, If your elected officials are not committee members, please call their office and urge them to contact the Transportation committee members and relay your opposition to the proposal.

Here is a link to identify your Senator and your Assembly Representative:
Who Are My Legislators?

Here is a link to the Senate Transportation committee:
Transportation, Tourism, Forestry, and Natural Resources

Here is a link to the Assembly Transportation committee:
Transportation

Remember, we only have until August 31 to accomplish this!

undysworld

Mike,
Thanks. Absolutely no offense taken here. My skin's gotten too thick to get my a$$ chapped so easily. Usually it's me being the sarcastic one!
You know, often I've thought that many of our laws (and rules, medical terms, legal jargon, etc.) are written so as to intentionally make things unclear.
This whole episode has only reinforced those feelings. :(
Well, it's after 8 here, so it's time to :beer: !

Adios all

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I assume you guys have contacted SEMA?

undysworld

Boomer,
Wisconsin.
No, but they may care. Many of the antique imports are sports cars, and they race them.

Salt6,
I think it's fair to say that DOT is chapped at having lost one.

McKee,
Nope, not yet, but thanks for the reminder.

Clinto,
Ditto.

Frankly, this one has moved so fast, and so stealthily, that we've just gotten notified in the past few days. By the time I found out about it, it was already at the legislative committees. I'm trying to notify as many folks as I can. Any help is appreciated.

I've been in contact with Jeff Rowsam, "Catman" here, about making sure that the other Wis. collectors are notified. I'm not yet sure where they all sit on this issue. So far, it's been another one-man show.

Look, the DOT has worked to portray me as a nut-job. Others within this community may consider me a loose cannon. The truth of it is that I got a hair up my arse when DOT trampled on our rights back in '07. At this point, NONE of my vehicles are directly threatened. I'm not doing this for myself. It just happens that, after doing this for nearly 3 years, I know a bit about the subject. NOW, I'm just offended that DOT is still dogging this bone. THAT's why I'm even bothering to work at this. I just hope I can convince others that this is a fight worth fighting, even if they don't have a vehicle which is threatened this time.

mckeeranger

How would they help?
(Oh, Do they import things too?)
They have a pretty big membership base, nation wide. Some of the rally races they sponsor are for antique cars. Think about it. Antique imports would include cars like the Datsun 240Z, Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, VW, all kinds of things.

The structure of the SCCA might be able to get the word out.

Monty

i just passed this along to a friend who belongs to a Porshe forum/club he new nothing about this and he's 50's Porshe falls in this catagory.

Contacting my legislator today.

Undy Thanks for the updates and being vigilant on behalf of WI residents.

DrGreg, your not kidding, there's something wrong with the goverment (must be something in the water) they sure don't like car/trucks.

Maybe it's because were all supose to ride Doyle pet CHO CHO train and give up all motor vehicals.

CatMan

WI Trans 123

I did contact the SEMA Action Network (SAN) today and also the (new) Historic Vehicle Association and the Wisconsin Car Clubs Alliance (WCCA) with information about the Trans 123 issue. All have large mail lists.

While this does not affect the military vehicles which are covered by the two new Wisconsin laws, it points to continued efforts by state governments to limit the driving privilages of collectors and preservationists.

After reviewing the Trans 123 rule. It seems there are two issues to consider:

1)Federal Law allows import of post 1968 manufactured foreign vehicles and exempts those more than 25 years old from requirements to comply with NHTSA safety requirements. The WI DOT Trans 123 proposal would create a new state law that would override the federal exemption and prevent registration of these collector vehicles in WI

2)Foreign import vehicles currently registered in WI are “grandfathered” until sold and would not be allowed a new Wisconsin owner registration. This reduces the value of the current registered vehicles.

Cat Man

jlckmj

I saw this happen in Wisconsin with trans.305 back in the late 80's early 90's. They tried to outlaw any and all frame modifications on all vehicles, and any and all modifications to the exterior body that would change the looks. They were targeting the street rods with the lower modern front suspensions, sleeker looks, etc.

The street rodders fought that at all of the 10-15 hearings set around the state, most had thousands of hot rodders and street rodders in attendance to fight them. When all was said and done, they did pass trans305, but they had to start a completely new clasification called street modified to drop all the modified vehicles into.

To be honest, they never anticipated the rodders and parts suppliers banding together like they did. The problem that the MV people will have is that you do not have the numbers that the hot rodders have, and they were better equipped to fight them with all the local car clubs spreading the word.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks