• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Sites have been a great help

L-4Pilot

Hey Guys,

I have mostly lurked this forum and a few others looking for information and sources for military equipment for my L-4. Have made a few friends and will be taking my L-4 up to Enterprise Alabama in September to display it in a Camp setting with some MVs, it should be a lot of fun.

The MV forums and owners have helped me locate a BC-659 radio, a AN-29C antenna and a few other items to properly equip my 1943 L-4B 43-1285. I am still looking for a few things and may post them in the wanted area.

This is a really good forum.

Best Regards, and "keep em rolling and flying"

Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

L-4Pilot

Thanks Guys,

A friend who is in a Classic car club with me here in town is also very active with Military Vehicles and is going to keep me in the loop on events where we can include the L-4.

These old L-4s spent their military service not on the large airbases but out in the field with the artillery units. They operated near the front lines from fields and roads. I think the Military Vehicle and Air Show at Enterprise will be great opportunity to show the plane in it's natural wartime environment in a camp setting with period MVs. We will be set up on the grass 200 ft from the aircraft parking area at the Enterprise airport.

I don't know about operating out of a farm field on private land but will check in to it. I know the Cub would have no problem with it, it does not need much in the way of a runway.

Best Regards,
Steve

L-4Pilot

Steve
very nicely done renovation.
Thanks but I can't take credit for this one, it was done by a well known Cub restorer in Ohio. He did a really nice and accurate job on the plane.

I have restored a couple of aircraft including this O-1 Bird Dog a few years ago. I painted it in 183 rd Aviation Company (Seahorses) markings Vietnam 1969/1970. The inert 2.75" launchers were made from factory drawings and I received an FAA STC to install them on the aircraft.

Best Regards,
Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

toptiger

Very nice job on that bird dog. Nice isn't the right word, sorry, exceptional !!
I got a ride in one out of Bien Hoa in 68 from a FAC who flew with us for orientation, I taught him how to be safe in a Huey, well not really, he didn't get the hovering down too well, not enough time.
Where abouts in florida? Kept my Lake Renegade at Bartow and Avon Park for years

PorscheTech911

Thats really interesting! Your going to have to stop by the chat room so we can talk about these planes. I just recently had a thread asking about the Piper L-4 Grasshopper. I'm interested in flying and will be working at the small local airport soon (part time as I work full time for Caterpillar on the weekends) and will be going for a pilots license. I have tons of questions, so please stop by sometime! Welcome to the board!

PT911

This is the Steel Soldiers chat room where we talk about all things MV related: 123 Flash Chat Client

Login is with your username and password on Steel Soldiers.

I don't know about operating out of a farm field on private land but will check in to it. I know the Cub would have no problem with it, it does not need much in the way of a runway.
I'd like to know more about this part for future reference as well. Feel free to send me a PM sometime to talk about this stuff if your interested.

Last edited:

L-4Pilot

Very nice job on that bird dog. Nice isn't the right word, sorry, exceptional !!
I got a ride in one out of Bien Hoa in 68 from a FAC who flew with us for orientation, I taught him how to be safe in a Huey, well not really, he didn't get the hovering down too well, not enough time.
Where abouts in florida? Kept my Lake Renegade at Bartow and Avon Park for years
In the Panhandle and it has been really hot every day, now it is raining every day. Looking forward to Fall.

L-4Pilot

Thats really interesting! Your going to have to stop by the chat room so we can talk about these planes. I just recently had a thread asking about the Piper L-4 Grasshopper. I'm interested in flying and will be working at the small local airport soon (part time as I work full time for Caterpillar on the weekends) and will be going for a pilots license. I have tons of questions, so please stop by sometime! Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the invite, don't have much time but will drop in if I get a chance. Good luck with your pilot training you will most certainly enjoy it.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks