• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up Deuce at Hooks, TX on 8/17/10

ARYankee

I just scheduled picking up my deuce at RRAD tomorrow at 9 am. It seems like the EUC took forever. Anyone else going to Hooks tomorrow? I was also wondering if any one has any tips about going there since this is my first time. I'm hoping this will go good with little to no problems. This will be my furthest recovery.

I would also like some folks contact info that live near Hooks just in case I have some issues and need to stash it. I originally was going to tow it but my wife talked me into just going down and driving it back.

Last edited:

RANDYDIRT

Good Luck! I really thought about going with you to help when you recovered the deuce. But work beckons. I sure would like to poke around down there though.

Dirt

ARYankee

No worries. I'll be taking pictures and what not. I may try and do a little extra recon if allowed. I'm thinking they may not be as cool and easy to deal with as Sherman in Little Rock.

runk

Red River recovery experience

Don't plan on taking pictures on base, in fact they generally want you to check any camera's at the security checkpoint, but I think they will let you keep cell phones with cameras now. Several threads here on what to expect, Red River is definately the least friendly of the 3 bases I have dealt with. There can be a long wait at the commercial truck entrance you have to use (at least I assume that is still the case) to go through security with your vehicle. You kind of have to wind through the base to get to the GL facility. The GL folks are polite enough, but all business, don't be late. They want your truck off their lot as fast as you can get it, no repairs, only basic fluid checks and maybe a jump if you brought batteries or a 24V truck. They would really prefer you have it towed off. Once you get it out of thier yard, pull it out of the way and do a more through check, I spent about 2 hrs bleeding brakes etc. in a parking lot on the base, and no one hassled me.
Have a back up plan, if it can't be driven off ! I had a local commercial towing service I had talked to just in case, and only had to get it about 30 miles to my friend's family ranch, where I spent most of a day doing minor repairs and service before driving back to Houston.
Good luck with the recovery.

ARYankee

Thanks Runk. If I can get it off base and park it (if there ia a major problem), I can head back to the house and get my deuce and a tow bar and tow it back. I appreciate the feedback.

ARYankee

A successful recovery!!!!! Had a few issues from get go but none that I didn't know about. The ground from the battery to the frame was loose and rusted thus causing arcing and the "wire burning smell when starting". Got that taken care of and away we went. I had my awesome recovery team of my wife, 11 day old son (Austin), and my 2 year old daughter (Autumn). She rode with me back home :) No picks of recovery because they don't allow cameras on base :( I know if I got one on I would spend the entire day taking pics of my future motor pool. OMG!!!! It is awesome there!! Almost makes me want to move there so I can try to get a job working there. I was like a little kid in a candy store... it was almost too much. I suggest if anyone gets a chance to recover there or preview, it is worth it just to see all the equipment. I think my wife may have the OD Green Fever as well now. I caught her several times gawking and oogling. It was a great recovery! Here are some pics of it at home.

Attachments

runk

Congrats on the successful recovery. Yea, I didn't mind when we got a little "lost" on the way out, head was in full swivel mode !

M1075

Please share your secret. How in the heck do you get your wife to go with a 11 day old child? Are you kidding me? You are definitely one to look up to. :beer:

ARYankee

Congrats! Looks like a keeper! Was this that "burning smell" deuce that sold this part march?
Yes it was. Turns out it was the negative cable from the battery to the frame. The connection was real loose and rusted so I cleaned then tightened it up.

Last edited:

ARYankee

Please share your secret. How in the heck do you get your wife to go with a 11 day old child? Are you kidding me? You are definitely one to look up to. :beer:
I guess she really loves me :) Or she didn't want to hear me whine about having to do it by my self :) I like to think it's the first one. I think she has been bitten by the green bug anyways. She is always pointing out MVs, and she wants a M1009.

Jimma

Cool deal. My wife and two daughters ages 14 and 16 went with me to Warner Robins to pick up an 818. They enjoyed it and got to visit the air museum. They had a good time but I had a little more enthusiasm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks