• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New toy for the fleet

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love closed cab Jimmies. :D

paulfarber

That looks like a G506 (Chevy) bed. If you have door mounted mirrors you should have civvy guages also.

If you post the frame SN that would help.

Few minor issues also... you seem to have 9x20s (M35) tires? Your drivers side engine panel is off a Chevy, also.

Engine shot would be cool.

I have yet to find *ANY* reference to a CCKW called a Jimmy.

Nice truck.

Last edited:

zout

Nice looking unit = asking too much to maybe get some interior shots of the cab please - would like to check it out and see your prize.:jumpin:

B3.3T

Very nice looking truck. Congrats.

"Jimmy"= any truck produced by GMC = its a nickname = no one ever said it was a wartime used term = get over it.

paulfarber

Can you provide *any* reference of a CCKW being called that? Its NOT a 'deuce' nor a 'Jimmy'. GM produces DOZENS of vehicles for the serivce... is a Chevy G506 a 'Jimmy'? It was made by Chevrolet, a Division of GM. Yellow Coach and Cab was a division of GMC, part of GM. It wasn't till late war (late 43/44) that GM was the sole logo on the CCKW data plate. Lastly, the number of CCKWs that would have ever had the GMC logo on the brush guard is quite small as a percentage of production.

With how prevalent slang was for GIs in the service.. and documented as such (jeep, Jug, bazooka - bet you didn't know that - and the book
FUBAR: soldier slang of World War II

By Gordon L. Rottman

and 20+ issues of Army Motors, and every TM related to the CCKW, and dozens of GI personal histories.... we should ignore ALL THAT?

Hmm...... I fail to see your point of 'get over it'.

Its still a nice truck.

Last edited:

B3.3T

Simple. This is not a farby site. It is not a reenactor's site. It is not a "be historically correct in all your terminology or you'll be banished" site. It is a site for military vehicles of all types, mostly trucks. Most are truck guys first. Few here give a rats a** if they use slang from WWII or not. You want to play that game you are in the wrong place. But of course you already know that. So again, get over it.

paulfarber

Simple. This is not a farby site. It is not a reenactor's site. It is not a "be historically correct in all your terminology or you'll be banished" site. It is a site for military vehicles of all types, mostly trucks. Most are truck guys first. Few here give a rats a** if they use slang from WWII or not. You want to play that game you are in the wrong place. But of course you already know that. So again, get over it.
Hmm.. if its a 'Jimmy'.. and *everyone* knows it.... there should be something written to back that up. I've posted this on several MV only sites (and a few 'commercial only vehicles' and nothing.

Hence my search for the background.

Why so confrontational?

emr

Jimmy is a slang for such a truck? i am sure of it ...? as for a deuce , sometimes it is better to know that there is absolutly no facts at all to ever call a WW2 truck a deuce, was not so, that term came about later, so actually it is better to keep some things correct and not get history all wrong, But a jimmy " I am no expert , and could sure be wrong, but i really thought jimmy was a used term for anything chevy....in the day... good post... BEAUTIFUL TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great to see it here in the ocean of M series, ALL THE best with that great looking truck !!!!!!!!! :beer:

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
With how prevalent slang was for GIs in the service.. and documented as such (jeep, Jug, bazooka - bet you didn't know that - and the book
FUBAR: soldier slang of World War II

By Gordon L. Rottman
And Mr. Rottman screwed up right from the get-go. The term "FUBAR" is a Vietnam-era term meaning "F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition." The World War II term was "SNAFU," or Situation Normal, All F***ed Up."

Be that as it may, it certainly is one darned fine truck!

paulfarber

And Mr. Rottman screwed up right from the get-go. The term "FUBAR" is a Vietnam-era term meaning "F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition." The World War II term was "SNAFU," or Situation Normal, All F***ed Up."

They didn't curse in WWII? I guess they never did pot, opium or any other things that man has been doing for 100's of years.

paulfarber

Sorry but not even close.

"
The Oxford English Dictionary lists Yank, the Army Weekly magazine (1944, 7 Jan. p. 8) as its earliest citation: "The FUBAR Squadron...FUBAR? It means "' ****ed Up Beyond All Recognition.'"
In the 1944 U.S. Army animated short The Three Brothers (directed by Friz Freleng),[1] a character named Fubar is a brother of Private Snafu (Situation Normal, All ****ed Up)[2] and Tarfu (Things Are Really ****ed Up, or Totally and Royally ****ed Up)."

Unless Vietnam started a lot earlier than we were told. This is the first WRITTEN used in a formal pub. Its use was most certainly started LLOOONNNGGG before then. Pvt SNAFU was featured in plenty Army Motors as how NOT to be a mechanic. The stereotypes are pretty funny... Modern Military pubs would never allow such humor less the politicians get involved.

I *used* to refer to CCKWs as Jimmys... but since I have learned that the term cannot be substantiated, it don't.

Live and learn... people should try it... its not that hard.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks