• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

P51 Pilots eye 360

steelypip

It's actually a P-51C You can read the North American dataplate if you zoom in on the right side of the cockpit. The other giveaway is that the engine dataplate addresses a Packard V-1650 (including 51" of manifold pressure at takeoff power) not an Allison V-1710. But yes, really cool to see that it was not the much commoner D and later model.

Yes, I know it's an old thread, but I just got around to looking at it...

akguy

Hey guys, is it just me or is there a vise-grip plier sitting just below the fire extinguisher i think?? Right side of cockpit.....down low by the voltmeter,radio area. Hope it is removed before any negative G's are pulled or it's going to get interesting.

steelypip

Yep, that is definitely a vicegrip handle. I'm guessing that it's a field expedient repair for something and is actually clamped on to something down there by the fire extinguisher and the emergency (manual) hydraulic pump.

I remember when this photography mode came out as part of Quicktime (Quicktime VR). All kinds of cool stuff was shot panoramically. The problem was that most people had dialup internet in those days and it took half an hour to load a pic. Still very cool, though, and especially good for things that benefit from 'you are here' photos like coal mines, architectural stuff, and, of course, cool vehicles.

Nice to see that it is finally becoming popular now that bandwidth is high enough to support it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks