• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort McCoy 8/23

kennys@wi.rr.com

I will be going to Fort McCoy on Monday to preview some items and to check on my truck(pending EUC). If anyone wants anything previewed send me a PM and I will let you know what I think. Or if you have a message for Mike let me know. Maybe I'll bring some doughnuts for him. I just hope poof doesn't eat them on the way there.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well I emailed DLA again about 30 minutes ago and what a fast responce. Just got my paid in full invoice. So Monday has gone from preview to recovery. Wish me luck.

Sardot1

If you see an M1009 on the back of a truck heading outta town, that might be mine. Mike and Seth at Ft McCoy were great. Arrives here Friday! Cant wait to drive it.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Ok I know we all want pics and the "story". So here it is.

We arrived at McCoy just as they were opening the gates so perfect timing I guess. We got to the truck and as was noted it had one flat tire, outside rear on driver side and the batteries were dead as dead can be. The first thing we did was put poof's batteries in the truck, thank you poof. Then the usual crawl around checiing fluids and looking for any problems missed during preview. Added some water and all other fluids were good. Then the moment of truth, will it start? She fired up real fast and sounded great, and no one got a shower from the exhaust pipe.
So we spent the next half hour or more trying to get the flat to inflate and no go. I pulled it forward and started to dread the idea of using a tire wrench to pull these lugs off. Good thing for me, IMHO, that I have a friend like drgreg and he let me use his geared lug wrench, I may never give it back. The lugs came off so easy poof thought I was kidding around when I said they were off. And again luck was on my side because it was an outside tire we drove it up on blocks of wood and just slid the tire off. Now some of you may not like this next decision but I don't see the problem with it and if there is please save it for another time. I ran it home with that tire off, I have never dropped the spare on a deuce and I wasn't going to start at McCoy and slip with the wrench and now who knows what, I will save that for here at home.
Well poof had his son with him so we took a spin over to the equipment park. Skinnedknuckles and poof's best friend was there and we got the boot after she saw us. I got to "play" dumb and tell her I didn't know my deuce was still considered a tactical truck now that it was in civy hands. She is such a nice woman.
But long story short we had no problems the whole way home. She held 50 to 55 and only got up to 195 but hovered around 180 the whole way home. For those that know the hill outside of McCoy she dropped to 35 on that hill. On the flat I have no problems on the hills it does drop off.
I don't want to lose what little respect I have here so I will leave out the part of where I back it into the driveway and come into the house and yell honey I'm home.
I will post some more pics later when I get a chance. Now I just have to try to salvage the new batteries that were in the truck but dead.

But I do need to thank all of those who made this possible. Skinnedknuckles for helping me with the preview. Poof for the preview, batteries and recovery help, not for the chillicheese dog smell in my truck. Drgreg for the tools, spare parts and the encouragement, bid it to win it. And most of all Mike from McCoy who was a great help with everything. Thank you all.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks