• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Eastover S.C.

Blythewoodjoe

I was told I could not drive it out of the gate the last time I picked up a vehicle. That don't mean you can't drive it off, but if you like to get along with people, I would figure on towing or hauling. Just my thoughts.

jwaller

why? that makes no sense if you've got insurance and a plate for it.
bc we had a local idiot take out one corner of a govt building when went to make a turn and panic'd when the brakes didn't work. you'd think brakes would be one of the first things you check before hitting the road.

now we all have to pay the price for his screw up.

DeuceNewb

It's called a transporter plate, designed for legal transport of a vehicle purchased at auction to be driven home or to be repaired without a title or being registered, as long as you have insurance on the vehicle and proof of purchase. It can also be used for an antique car that is only used for parades.

looks like i'll be flat towing with my suburban out of the gate, the haulin ass away, hopefully leaving 8 rubber marks and a cloud of black smoke

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bc we had a local idiot take out one corner of a govt building when went to make a turn and panic'd when the brakes didn't work. you'd think brakes would be one of the first things you check before hitting the road.

Nice Waller, let me know how you really feel about me. And you've never screwed up in your life right? I don't appriciate being called an idiot.

I did put a small hole in one end of the warehouse, with just the driver corner of the fender. I have admitted on numerous occations how I screwed up and it could have been easily prevented. I hoped it would be a lesson to others.

Know the facts before berating me further- I wasn't hitting the road, I was simply moving the truck to the water spigot. I had pedal down in the yard. When I went to stop up on the hill, no more pedal. I didn't check the fluid level before moving the truck. I wasn't familier enough with the deuce to have memorized exactly where the parking brake or engine kill was, to react in microseconds. I didn't have a deuce to study before hand. I was driving up to the spigot at the end of the warehouse. I did cut the wheel some in an attempt to swerve. When the cop showed up, he was already under the impression that we were not allowed to drive them off base.

And I had to pay for my screw up too- Hit a government building, and barely do any damage, and see how much a JAG comes after you for to repair it. I could have fixed it for 1/10 of what they billed me for. Plus the ticket from the base police.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- I'm sorry that my incident screwed it up for everyone else, and a personal apology to anyone this has affected.

Last edited:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
A NC transport plate requires a title number on the form and cannot be transfered to any vehicle unless you are a dealer and then you will need a dealer plate. The transport plate for anything and can be swapped to anything was a big rumor in our MV club but I got all the regs and squashed that. I have 2 papers from the DMV that explains all this if anyone needs them I can scan and post them up.
-Jay
-Transport plate is to transport the vehicle it is registerd to ,to and from parades events, etc and has to be 25 years or older. Just one part of it. You could get it for most MV's but you will still need a title first. Im waiting on mine now. You also have to mail all the paper work in , no tag office or DMV in Raleigh can hand you one. Its only 14 bucks though.

Last edited:

AceHigh

Hey Adam, don't beat yourself up! Your contributions to the folks here are many and valuable. Thanks for all you do for us.

(Now can I have a ride in your choo choo train? :D ) (Just kidding) :jumpin:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Ferro made a simple and honest mistake, then graciously took care of the results. He was kind enough to share his story and im sure it stopped a number of related accidents across the country at GSA and GL lots. Let a sleeping dog lie be now..

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I didnt know it was you Adam until I read this. Things happen , you learned oh well.

The point of this thread to get it back on track is , If you plan on driving it home, be prepared just in case to call a tow company to have it towed out of the gate. Then you wont be let down.

Chief_919

I thought you said you don't buy from GL anymore?

Anyway, it is for the best in the long run. Driving right off with no clue as to the actual mechanical condition of the vehicle is a gamble, and sooner or later someone doing it will kill or seriouslsy injure somebody. Next thing you know we will face new legislation restriucting ouyr hobby as a result.

Personally, I wish every location had a tow-out rule. Jumping in a salvage vehicle that has been sitting unmaintained for anywhere from 6 months to a year and heading down the road without giving it a good inspection and PM (that you can't do in a GL lot) is foolish and dangerous to yourself and others. Doing it without plates or a registration like so many do is just asking to be slammed by the law and the courts in a civil trial when something happens.

Yeah, it costs more to tow it to a location you can work on it. Doing it right usually does. But when you factor the risk, and the high liability you are placing on yourself in the event of trouble, and how much you could lose, a couple hundred dollars in a tow bill is dirt cheap.

I say this as someone with 20+ years in the surplus business, and 18 years working on these trucks for the Army. Trucks don't get turned into DRMO because they work too well, and they get neglected and abused during the turn in, screening and sales proccess. Jumping right in and heading down the road is gambling with your safety, the safety of others, all your money and assets if you get sued for hurting someone, and the future of our hobby.

It just isn't worth the $100-300 you might save.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Since I am friends with both Ferro and Jwaller I think I am qualified to say this:

Let's move back to the topic at hand. I doubt much constructive anything can come from us taking sides in the argument.

:D

DKnoll

I won a M923A2 from Eastover, SC and plan on picking it up tomorrow. I see this thread is 4 years old. Anyone know of a reason I can't drive it off the base? It's listed as "starts and operates". I've had good success picking them up from 3 other sites in the past 2 years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks